Very stiff on pelvic bones after exercise.

Options
So last year, I began playing volleyball at school (leisurely) and noticed I kept getting extremely stiff on my pelvic bones whenever I would sit or lay down for a little bit. I attributed it to me jumping and stretching far to hit the ball. Fast forward a semester, I stopped exercising/playing volleyball for a few months, and now I just started exercising about two weeks ago. (cardio, walking, dancing) Again, my pelvic bones get extremely stiff after just a little while of sitting or laying down. I've been exercising on/off for the last 3-4 years and the pain was new up until I started volleyball and once again now. I stretch before and sometimes after but that stiffness will not go away. And its not soreness either, its definitely stiff! Does anyone know how or why I get this pain and how to get rid of it? It stays stiff all the time even after I exercise and on a daily basis.

If I had to explain where the stiffness is, it would be almost right where it says L and R on this picture.

http://www.isischiropractic.co.uk/images/Pelvis9mmGap.gif

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    See a chiropractor. It's amazing what they can do. I ran into a similar thing, but it was isolated to one hip. After a couple of adjustments, I don't have the problem any more. If your Chiro is worth their salt, they will also give you some stretching exercises to work out the knots.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    See a chiropractor. It's amazing what they can do. I ran into a similar thing, but it was isolated to one hip. After a couple of adjustments, I don't have the problem any more. If your Chiro is worth their salt, they will also give you some stretching exercises to work out the knots.

! I've seen videos of the stuff they do and it SOUNDS so scary! >.< I've never even thought about going to one. Is it true they are not actually licensed though? And are they covered by insurances?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Stretching after - you should always stretch after (not sometimes). The muscles are warm, and more pliable (after). Different people need a different amounts of stretch.

Here's a bunch of different ones...

http://www.stretching-exercises-guide.com/hip-stretches.html

I always need to stretch my hip flexors (after walking even). I'm older and do yoga at least once a week. It kind of staves off problems for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    mommazach wrote: »

! I've seen videos of the stuff they do and it SOUNDS so scary! >.< I've never even thought about going to one. Is it true they are not actually licensed though? And are they covered by insurances?

I've been to lots of chiros and they always helped, never hurt.

Check with your insurance company.

http://www.nbce.org/about/certification_licensure/

Just as medical doctors and attorneys must do, would-be chiropractors must prove their knowledge and readiness to practice. After they earn their degrees from chiropractic college, graduates must then take and pass their board exams before they can apply for a license to practice.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    @hiyomi Yes they are licensed, and go through 8 years of medical school. Same as other doctors. Most of them are covered by insurance, but you will have to check with your policy. My visits cost me $15 on BCBS. I spend considerably less money with them because they don't often write expensive prescriptions. I always walk out feeling better than I go in, and the pain is generally alleviated within moments. The popping noise is quickly over and the relief is amazing. One of my best friends was scared, but had another surgeon ready to cut on her. After 3 adjustments, surgery was cancelled and she had great results since then.
  • hiyomi
    Options
    Welp, my mom has been telling me for YEARS that chiropractors do not have a real license and/or degree. Which is interesting since she works in a medical setting, guess she was wrong about that one. I will stretching a lot more, usually I only do 2-5 minutes. And possibly even some yoga. If I still see no change, then maybe I'll try a chirpractor.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    hiyomi, Google hip flexor stretches. Lunges are good, I have to do them whenever I am sitting or lying around too much. I get the same thing.
  • hiyomi
    Options
    hiyomi, Google hip flexor stretches. Lunges are good, I have to do them whenever I am sitting or lying around too much. I get the same thing.

Oooh, thanks! Some of these stretches look satisfying just looking at the pictures lol! I will definitely try some when I get home later today!