Is tea as good as water for hydration?

Options
I'm just curious... does tea hydrate as well as water? I suppose it depends on the kind of tea. I drink a lot of black tea, which does have caffeine. Does the caffeine have a negative effect on hydration?

Thanks

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I googled that and I found: (took me 2 seconds).
    A 2000 study at the University of Nebraska Medical Center comparing hydration levels indicated mixing water, caffeinated drinks and non-caffeinated drinks resulted in the same amount of hydration for study participants.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/112391-effects-can-alcohol-caffeine/
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Tea is just water with some flavor. It definitely will hydrate you just fine. Enjoy your tea!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If someone switches from drinking mainly water to drinking mostly tea, coffee, etc, then the caffeine might dehydrate them a bit at first. But our bodies adapt to this sort of thing just fine. No harm getting most of your liquid intake from tea :)

~Lyssa
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It's all water anyway. I see it as no different than flavored water if it's unsweetened and you add a no calorie sweetener.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Tea is fine.
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Tea, soup, fruit, milk, even vegetables all contribute to your hydration levels.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    While caffeine is a mild diuretic all caffeinated drinks are still 90% (or more) water and will result in a net gain in fluid intake.

Enjoy your cuppa!