push up update

2»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    Try this. Do your pushups in a ladder format.

Do 1, then do 2, then do 3, then do 4, then back to 1, then 2, then 3, then 1, then 2, then 1.

You just did 20 pushups.

That is one "circuit" of pushups...

Do as many circuits as you like.

Make it even more challenging and add a pull exercise between pushups. This is how I became good at pullups. You get a nice bump in overall volume, but at the same time, never really get wiped out...
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    @J72FIT Does that mean I would do one and then wait 30 to 60 seconds and then do 2 and so on? The other day I did 7 and then challeged my son to do some and then he challeged me again. I was able to do another 6 before I dropped. I think that is good considering I couldnt do one a month ago. What does a pull exercise look like? I have been trying to do pullups. Well I suck at it. I have to use the weighted resistance because I cannot lift my own body weight at this time.

Ths is exactly why I love these forums. I learn so much from individuals who knows what works. :smiley:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i have a suspension trainer at home that i use for core stuff, you put your feet in it and can do planks and a zillion variations of planks and core movements Its an awesome core workout. you can even use it for pushups with either your feet in the straps, or your hands holding the straps. You can easily modify each exercise to your own level just by where you stand. So you can at least do the full movement, and as you feel stronger or weaker you can modify mid-set just by stepping in or out.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    @J72FIT Does that mean I would do one and then wait 30 to 60 seconds and then do 2 and so on?
    Wait like 10 or so seconds. See how it goes. Take as much or as little rest as you need...

The other day I did 7 and then challeged my son to do some and then he challeged me again. I was able to do another 6 before I dropped. I think that is good considering I couldnt do one a month ago.
    Bravo!
    What does a pull exercise look like? I have been trying to do pullups. Well I suck at it. I have to use the weighted resistance because I cannot lift my own body weight at this time.
    Weighted resistant pull-ups are great. You could also do any type of horizontal pulling movement. Cable rows, rows with elastic bands or even rows with dumbbells...
    Ths is exactly why I love these forums. I learn so much from individuals who knows what works. :smiley:
    =)
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Oh ok. It is definitley worth a try. I just started doing a new workout regimen courtesy of another member on here. Now it is pushing me much farther than I would have gone before and doing stuff I was not doing before because of lack of knowledge. I will admit I had to google some of the exercises. Well let me tell you last week I felt like I was in a car accident but in a good way. Yesterday was leg day. I felt I struggled more than I did the first time but I got through it. Today again I am so sore. Anyways, I digressed. Cable rows and DB rows are 2 of the exercises that he suggested.

You know what is jacked up. I have learned more on this forum than I did from the trainer at PF. Thats why I didnt even ask him any questions. I just googled the exercises and watched the videos. When I told him I wanted to do something more intense he pushed back.