LC nutrient goals

Options
I'm returning back to LCHF woe: any suggestions to breakdown of macronutrients? (Fat/protein/carbs)

I started to do strength training on doctors recommendation and trainer insists that I need more carbs. Not sure?? Any advice?

TIA

Replies

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If you're not getting enough carbs, you might not be giving 100% in your workouts and maybe that's why the trainer is asking you to increase, for more energy.

For protein, I aim for 1g/kg of ideal body weight.

If your primary goal is weight loss, then monitor total calories, and ensure you're in a calorie deficit, regardless of the macros.

Sorry, I can't advice on fat/carb macros because I do high carb low fat. I prefer starchy foods and fruits rather than fatty foods. I lost weight just fine. Just focus on nutrient dense whole foods that you enjoy and that you can stick with in the long term. For women, I'd be careful with going too low carb because it has a tendency to cause thyroid problems. For me, high fat raises my cholesterol so I keep fat low.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mfr0125 wrote: »
    I'm returning back to LCHF woe: any suggestions to breakdown of macronutrients? (Fat/protein/carbs)

I started to do strength training on doctors recommendation and trainer insists that I need more carbs. Not sure?? Any advice?

LCHF is typically 5 or 10% carbs, 20-30% protein and fats the rest. I would listen to a dietitian over a Doctor and both over a trainer. Ask the trainer to stick to the training and figure out your own nutrition.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've read that if you're working out, you only really need a small carb snack either before or after like a sweet potato or just some root veggies.. Maybe you could stick to a low carb diet throughout the week and just add in a small carb snack on your workout day rather than trying to take in extra carbs everyday if you feel that's not what you want to do (or you're just not sure yet).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice, but you don't need to eat more carbs just because your strength training. You may initially notice a slight decrease in ability since you're new to LCHF, but once you're adapted, you'll be right back to normal. If strength training is also new, you aren't likely to notice it at all. Nothing to compare it to...
    It will probably take a week or two to get adapted. Maybe try it without adding a carb snack for a bit and see what you think.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice, but you don't need to eat more carbs just because your strength training. You may initially notice a slight decrease in ability since you're new to LCHF, but once you're adapted, you'll be right back to normal. If strength training is also new, you aren't likely to notice it at all. Nothing to compare it to...
    It will probably take a week or two to get adapted. Maybe try it without adding a carb snack for a bit and see what you think.

This.