Low Carb

Options
Im starting low carbs today, is counting calories and exercise beneficial to the LC diet?.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I stalled out on low carbs by not counting calories.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    uh, yes. You can be eating lower carb all you want, but you still need to be in a calorie deficit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The thing everyone needs to lose weight is a calorie deficit. There are different ways of achieving that deficit. Low carb is one, simply eating less is another, and moving more will help. Unless you have medical issues, your method of reaching a deficit is your choice.

Not counting calories is dangerous. You would be losing weight by eliminating foods, not by portion control. This method would teach you nothing you need for maintenance. Counting calories teaches portion control. That's the reason I'm overweight....I simply eat to much (of all foods).
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If you don't run a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight whether low carbs or high carbs.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I find eating lower carb helps me eat at a calorie deficit -- I don't have as many food cravings, particularly when I don't eat foods w/ added sugars and stuff w/ flour. I tend to use my calories for protein, lower carb vegies and high quality fats. I feel better, and exercise more because I feel better, more energy. I have really been enjoying exercise on a lower carb macro plan -- this weekend did boot camp and ran 3 miles after and felt really great (but hungry afterwards!)
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Most people who do low carb find they don't need to count calories as they are so satisfied with their meals that they naturally eat less and therefore are always in a deficit. However there are a few out there (myself included) who find it all too easy to overdo the amounts even on a low carb diet (think cream! lol) and therefore I do like to keep track of my calories. I do not go for a major deficit.. just a little under my BMR.. i'm losing weight well at the moment and can always readjust the calories as I start to slow in weight loss.
    Exercise is always beneficial on any diet, but myself and others have lost lots of weight by food alone.. you can always add in the exercise later if you don't feel upto it yet.
    If you're not sure where you stand on the food control.. maybe don't count calories to begin with - just eat what you want from the approved list.. and track your calories for a week or so to see how many you're really taking in. If it's too much, you'll know you're in the latter group like me, and you can start monitoring it better then :)
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Most people who do low carb find they don't need to count calories as they are so satisfied with their meals that they naturally eat less and therefore are always in a deficit. However there are a few out there (myself included) who find it all too easy to overdo the amounts even on a low carb diet (think cream! lol) and therefore I do like to keep track of my calories. I do not go for a major deficit.. just a little under my BMR.. i'm losing weight well at the moment and can always readjust the calories as I start to slow in weight loss.
    Exercise is always beneficial on any diet, but myself and others have lost lots of weight by food alone.. you can always add in the exercise later if you don't feel upto it yet.
    If you're not sure where you stand on the food control.. maybe don't count calories to begin with - just eat what you want from the approved list.. and track your calories for a week or so to see how many you're really taking in. If it's too much, you'll know you're in the latter group like me, and you can start monitoring it better then :)

Also, I think it's best to eat as much as you want when you first start simply because it makes it easier to transition.

Cutting carbs cold turkey personally left me feeling ravenous. So the first few days were rough and I probably ate way more calories than I should.

After 2-3 days, your body will adjust to burning fat for fuel, and you will find it *much* easier to eat a lower calorie amount.

Then you should start tracking, at least at first, so you get a hang of portion sizes and "surprise" calories. Like nuts and seeds were a big shocker to me. Technically allowed as a snack, but they are so calorie dense you really have to be careful, lol.
  • rerez2015
    rerez2015 Posts: 72 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Smile!
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My Doctor Told me to count my carbs and not worry about the calories
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Exercise is always good for you.

As for calorie counting, some people do beter with it, and others find they don't need to count calories. Do whatever works for you.