Cooking in Bacon Fat

Options
If I cook my eggs in the leftover bacon grease, do I need to log that grease, or is it assumed in the fat in the logged bacon? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question

Replies

• rickb0309
    rickb0309 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If your objective in logging is to track your calorie and nutritional intake, then yes, of course you need to do that? Needless to say, neither the bacon nor the leftover fat is a very wise choice, under any diet. It's saturated fat. If you were using it to start a chowder, where each individual serving would get a tiny bit, then I understand, but when you're frying eggs, you're going to eat 100% of whatever you fry them in. My advice - go buy some Pam.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    rickb0309 wrote: »
    If your objective in logging is to track your calorie and nutritional intake, then yes, of course you need to do that? Needless to say, neither the bacon nor the leftover fat is a very wise choice, under any diet. It's saturated fat. If you were using it to start a chowder, where each individual serving would get a tiny bit, then I understand, but when you're frying eggs, you're going to eat 100% of whatever you fry them in. My advice - go buy some Pam.

I missed the part where he asked for your opinion on a wise choice and your advice on WHAT he should eat. I only saw him ask how to log what he had already decided to eat.

Someone has clearly never experienced the pure delight of eggs cooked in bacon grease.

Enjoy your bacon. I would log the grease separately.
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options

False information here. Bacon is absolutely a good choice if it fits calories and macros. Both for low carb and non-low carb eaters.

OP - I think the calories on the package of bacon are for a cooked slice. What I do is log 1.1 or 1.2 slices to be safe and account for some of the fat that remains with the eggs. There is nothing better than over east eggs and bacon cooked in bacon far with an Everything Bagel.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Sweet! My everyday eggs, I use Pam. But my special weekend eggs, I use the bacon grease. Thanks for your reply!
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it if it only came from the bacon.. whatever comes out of that will already be in the calculation...so cook your eggs in it guilt free! However obviously if you had put oil or similar in the pan too then you would need to log that..
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! There's nothing like eggs cooked in bacon grease. Yummmmm!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I am fairly sure the nutrient values for cooked bacon do not include the water and fat lost from cooking.

Compare:

Bacon, pre-sliced, unprepared vs. (=>) Pork, cured, bacon, cooked

Total Weight, 26g => 8g
    Water, 11.7g => 0.99g
    Protein, 3.26g => 2.96g
    Fat, 10.21g => 3.34g
    Carbohydrate, 0.22g => 0.11g

I would recommend logging the bacon grease separately, using the MFP entry for "Pork - Bacon, rendered fat, cooked (bacon drippings)." This is how I log the rendered fat.

After cooking bacon, I slowly heat off any remaining water, strain it, let the rendered fat cool, then store the remaining fat in an airtight, sterilized glass container.

References:

Basic Report: 10994, Bacon, pre-sliced, reduced/low sodium, unprepared, USDA

Basic Report: 43378, Pork, cured, bacon, cooked, broiled, pan-fried or roasted, reduced sodium, USDA
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options

Saturated fat is not the enemy fyi.... It actually has its benefits