Cardio or strength first?

Options
Is one way over the other or does it not matter? Just looking to see if there's any cool facts over just preference.

Replies

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Lifting builds muscle which helps burn more fat long term. But, cardio helps you outrun the zombies... :smiley: I do both since I still have a ways to go with fat loss to reach my first goal.
  • Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Always weights first you burn most of your glycogen stores, so doing cardio after will burn more fat than the other way around.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Strength because cardio in the same workout will sapp your ability to get the best lift possible.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I do both. Warm up with a recumbent crosstrainer for 15 min then an hour or so weights, then about 20min of walking.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Do first what is most important to you. For me, that's always lifting so it's what is always first. Not that there is a lot of cardio in my program to start with.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    On lifting days, my weight training is my primary focus...thus they are called lifting days...I do cardio, but it isn't my primary focus...so obviously I would lift first or if I did any cardio before it would be light cardio earlier in the day or something.

Cardio days are for cardio...lifting days are for lifting.
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lewisg51 wrote: »
    Always weights first you burn most of your glycogen stores, so doing cardio after will burn more fat than the other way around.

That's what I was wondering. Good to know! Thanks :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    chalaivy wrote: »

If you're dieting and in a deficit of energy, that is completely irrelevant. You are going to oxidize the same amount of fat regardless of doing X or Y exercise or doing A or B first.
  • chalaivy
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you're dieting and in a deficit of energy, that is completely irrelevant. You are going to oxidize the same amount of fat regardless of doing X or Y exercise or doing A or B first.

ohp. well then, nevermind.. but when I stop dieting and go to maintenance, then I should use that method?
  • saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For safety's sake I do weights first. I'm afraid if I'm tired my form will be sloppy and I'll get hurt.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    TK6299 wrote: »
    Strength because cardio in the same workout will sapp your ability to get the best lift possible.

+1

Also, if exhausted from a cardio session you are more likely to lift with poor form. The converse, lifting then cardio, will not cause you form issues with machine based cardio such as elliptical, rower, stair climber, bike etc and is highly unlikely to cause form issues with running cardio (street, track, field, or treadmill).
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    As a runner, if I do strength and cardio on the same days, it is running first, strength after. When I do this, I go a little lighter on the lifting to maintain form.

Best possible scenario is strength and cardio on alternate days. In the summer it's four days running, two in the gym. Spring/Fall it's three and three. Winter is four days strength and two running.

Find out what works for you.
  • chalaivy
    Options
    As a runner, if I do strength and cardio on the same days, it is running first, strength after. When I do this, I go a little lighter on the lifting to maintain form.

Best possible scenario is strength and cardio on alternate days. In the summer it's four days running, two in the gym. Spring/Fall it's three and three. Winter is four days strength and two running.

Find out what works for you.

thank you for the advice!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. If your goal is to build strength and muscle mass like the burly gents saying it should always be weight training first, then yes its advisable to use those glycogen stores for your primary focus.
    If your aim is weight loss, eating at a deficit and no intention of gaining from your strength training then cardio is a good way to start. The increased heart rate after the cardio helps burn more calories while strength training.

These are all just really opinions, there is no right or wrong answer. Why don't you try both and see what suits you? If it were me I'd do a week of each to gauge the difference in recovery each evening and over rest days, by following the same eating plan you may also be able to gauge weight loss if that's your aiming for.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's 100% goal dependent.
    If you're just training in a more general sense- then strength first.

If you're an endurance athlete- the priority is the event training- running/cycling/swimming.

If you're a lifter- well- odds are you don't do cardio anyway. so there is that.
  • chalaivy
    Options
    These are all just really opinions, there is no right or wrong answer. Why don't you try both and see what suits you? If it were me I'd do a week of each to gauge the difference in recovery each evening and over rest days, by following the same eating plan you may also be able to gauge weight loss if that's your aiming for.

I like that idea. My goal is to lose weight, but I also want to be able to run, and lift.. lol but neither is really my primary goal right now, and I have been doing my running first and strength after for a couple of weeks so far, i just started strength first today.. But if cardio first is better for weight loss should I just stick with that?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I like that idea. My goal is to lose weight, but I also want to be able to run, and lift.. lol but neither is really my primary goal right now, and I have been doing my running first and strength after for a couple of weeks so far, i just started strength first today.. But if cardio first is better for weight loss should I just stick with that?

no- calorie deficit is better for weight loss.
    Weight lifting = optimizing fat loss and minimizing muscle loss
    cardio = good for your heart AND can also HELP with a calorie deficit- but it's a slippery slope relying on that solely as your deficit.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say that you should do weights first and then cardio because the lack of energy will affect the intensity of your lifts. I don't necessarily buy it though as I've always done a good cardio routine prior to my lifts because it gets the blood pumping and muscles warmed up but I don't do cardio on leg days. As far as depleting your glycogen stores, you'd have to do a pretty good cardio workout to burn up your glycogen. Everyone is different though, find what works for you. My body is just accustomed to what I do to it.
  • chalaivy
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

no- calorie deficit is better for weight loss.
    Weight lifting = optimizing fat loss and minimizing muscle loss
    cardio = good for your heart AND can also HELP with a calorie deficit- but it's a slippery slope relying on that solely as your deficit.

I am in a calorie deficit. I'm doing both of these things on top of my deficit and my goal is weight loss first, but I'm also trying to be in better shape just overall and I was asking to see if doing one first is better for some reason or another.
  • chalaivy
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    A lot of people say that you should do weights first and then cardio because the lack of energy will affect the intensity of your lifts. I don't necessarily buy it though as I've always done a good cardio routine prior to my lifts because it gets the blood pumping and muscles warmed up but I don't do cardio on leg days. As far as depleting your glycogen stores, you'd have to do a pretty good cardio workout to burn up your glycogen. Everyone is different though, find what works for you. My body is just accustomed to what I do to it.

So far it's been my preference... Interesting to hear different approaches :)