• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Ah, you beat me to it Trog!
    Feel free to use the img annnnnytime :)
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I'm going to start recording my intake today and see what I'm actually consuming. I guess I was just thinking if I burn calories and don't consume more than I already was that I would just shed some pounds. I don't own a scale as I wanted to stay motivated on how my clothes were fitting and how I felt but since that wasn't moving in the right direction I used my sisters and was shocked :-(
    Now that I've reached my goal of running I will continue this, add in some strength, and watch my calories. Thanks for your help :-)

Ok, first of all? Not all scales are point on accurate. Your sister's might not be right, the original one you used might not be right, etc.

You definitely need to watch your calories...JUST eating less than you used to doesn't necessarily mean you're eating at a calorie deficit. For instance....if you USED to eat say...4000 calories a day, now eat 3000 and burn 200 calories from exercise...you're still not going to get to the numbers to lose weight.

You don't necessarily have to stop running, start doing this or that...but for me *personally* I've found variety is key....to keeping me interested. If you're searching for muscle tone, adding in weight training is a good idea, but people can and have lost weight just with running...and by eating at a calorie deficit.

My advice: If you like running, keep running! I've found it hard to get to a point where I totally enjoy it, but after a year and a half, finally have. If it's in your goals to tone, I'd add in weight training to your week and get some cross training in. If you have the resources, get a heart rate monitor or activity monitor, and a food scale (which you can find for $20ish.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Running helps you keep it off once you've lost it. Losing it, however, is a matter of diet.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree that exercise is not everything and diet is most important, but the 20/80 relationship sounds exaggerated. I would say 40/60 or even 50/50 is more reasonable. A person who diets and eats right is going to see results, but will eventually give them back if they don't incorporate a consistent exercise program. The reason for this is 95% of the people who diet get bored with it and revert slowly back to old habits. You can only do so much over time with just dieting.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I agree that exercise is not everything and diet is most important, but the 20/80 relationship sounds exaggerated. I would say 40/60 or even 50/50 is more reasonable. A person who diets and eats right is going to see results, but will eventually give them back if they don't incorporate a consistent exercise program. The reason for this is 95% of the people who diet get bored with it and revert slowly back to old habits. You can only do so much over time with just dieting.
    caloric deficit = weight loss. Period. Point blank.
  • kpodjan
    kpodjan Posts: 11
    Options
    Have it all :-) Will definitely use it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You ran a 5K......congratulations, that's a great result, that's what the running as all about.

exercise = fitness & health

portion control & caloric deficit = weight loss
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    caloric deficit = weight loss. Period. Point blank.

I going to have trust the opinion of the guy (trog) who has lost 153 pounds. Eat less and move more. Why stick with just one method?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    That's because straight cardio is bullsh!t for weight loss. Add in a weightlifting routine and you'll see inches just fall off.
  • lorim68
    lorim68 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I tried to read all responses in order to not repeat. Sorry if I am (lots of responses). I definitely agree with tracking your calories. However, there are medical conditions too that can keep that scale's needle from moving. Hypothyroid, Vitamin D deficiency, and PCOS all can affect weight loss. For PCOS, for example, your body could have trouble with carbs (I just had this conversation with my doctor), requiring you to shift to more lean protein. Something like one in seven women suffer from hypothyroidism, which just slows your whole system down. It's worth a chat with your doctor! There are simple blood tests. Best wishes to you! Great job on the running! That's fantastic!!!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I was only doing a bootcamp last year which I progressively increased weights in. It was wonderful to see the changes in my body, but I really started leaning out when I started the C25K program last summer.

I had never considered myself a runner, but was surprised to find that I loved it!! The app made all the difference! Having a goal, stats, structure made it really fun instead of just getting out there and going for a random time or distance. :)

This is just my experience, but as a lot of people here have mentioned, pick up a food scale...you might be surprised by some of the serving sizes. I know I was! Also, if a HRM is feasible, you may be surpised there too....

The second thing I did to break a several months' long plateau was to eat MORE! I found that my sweet spot was in the NET range of 1500-1600 cals per day. So on workout days I was eating 1900-2100 cals per day. Any exercise that you enjoy and will continue to do is great exercise!! The key will be dialing into the proper calorie intake.

There are several threads around here like "Eat more 2 weigh less", "In Place of a Road Map", etc. They all discuss eating at a moderate deficit from your total daily calorie burn. For me it has worked like a charm. :)

I actually run now for the mental benefits it brings me....it is me time for me! And it's easy. You can get out and do it anywhere! Congratulations on completing the program!! You should be very proud! Not a lot of people can say they can run a 5k and now you are one of them! :) Keep up the great work!!
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I skimmed through the first page, and you've got some good advice. I just wanted to add that it's best to stay on a more natural diet, and stay away from products that are marketed as "diet, low fat, low cal..." I found myself getting much better results when I started reading the ingredients of packaged foods. The more natural the better. Perhaps you're already doing this, but I just wanted to throw it out there just in case. It does make a difference in how our body respond to what we're doing.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    That's because straight cardio is bullsh!t for weight loss. Add in a weightlifting routine and you'll see inches just fall off.

It's not bull****. It's people like you that think their way is the only way that discourage people. I, and many others, have lost a lot of weight and kept it off without lifting anything heavy. There is no ONE right way to do this.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Nothing like a true believer..........
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call progressing from not being able to run to running 5K "no results" :flowerforyou:
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am starting training for a 5K but I am still cross training so I run 3x a week, cross train for 2 and rest for one. I have upped my carbs to 200 on run days and 200 of protein. Take in account I am in maintenance for my weight loss so on training days I am supposed to eat over 2000 calories.

Personally I have my macros set at 40/20/40 and do everything I can to stay in those, I eat my calories.

Cross training is key!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    If you're not tracking calories, your estimate of 'eating less' can be 'slightly' inaccurate. Running, or any exercise, would increase your appetite, so even if you think you're eating less, it might be the same amount or more.
    I've managed to maintain while not tracking, but to lose weight, I have to count EVERYTHING.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

54443-Bubbles-gif-91mp.gif
  • kpodjan
    Options
    Thanks! :happy:
  • kpodjan
    Options
    I wouldn't call progressing from not being able to run to running 5K "no results" :flowerforyou:

Thank you :-)