Gluten free weight gain

Options
I've been a celiac since I was age 9 and have struggled with maintaining a gluten free diet for the last 6-7 years. Because of this, I have had a very hard time gaining any weight, but now my husband and I would like to start trying to have a child and my body is simply too small and I need to gain weight! (5'3"- 97 lbs) I need all the help, advice, strength, and encouragement that you have to offer, because God knows how good gluten tastes! Also, any advice on what types of workouts I can start doing to help strengthen my body and build muscle from all the protein I'm going to eat!

Replies

• pwillis20
    pwillis20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'd start by calculating your TDEE which you should be able to do pretty simple online I believe. From that I would typically add 20 to 25 percent of that TDEE to start a bulk (ex. 1500×.25=375 ...1500+375=1875). I'm a male but that should still be okay. For gaining I run 30% of calories come from protein, 50% come from carbs, and 20% comes from fat (I'm a hard gainer and don't fully neglect cardio so carbs are essential for me). Everyone's body is different and it took me nearly 3 years to find what worked best for me so keep an open mind when people are telling you what to do because you will hear different opinions. Meats are great protein but red meat or lean beef gives me better gains than chicken or fish but they are still good sources. Carbs rice and potatoes, not 100 percent sure if all potatoes are gluten free though... Ive heard grits are okay, oats are great if you can find them specially processed to prevent cross contamination by gluten containing grains. Milk and fruits will be benificial, you can also use maltodextrin and dextrose. I often supplement with dextrose pre and post workout, it's more of a fast acting carb and is easily broken down in the body, much like fruits and allow insulin spikes. The biggest thing is going to be consistent caloric surplus and avoiding to much cardio. I would encourage you to take notes on what everyone comments with and research their thoughts and choose what your comfortable with, if your uncomfortable then your not as likely to stick with it or enjoy the process. Best of luck to you and try not to overwhelm yourself!
  • carcarxx94
    carcarxx94 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    To add to the food / diet side there are many gluten free dishes to help that taste great ! :) if you google them you'll mostly get recipes with hard to find and expensive ingredients etc but it can be so easy to substitute for gluten free ingredients that are cheap ! But gluten free oats and either have oatmeal made with full fat milk or cream and peanut butter and / or 80%+ dark chocolate on top. Make shakes with full fat milk , oats, bananas, avocado, spinach or other fruit or veg, unsweetened cocoa powder and some vanilla extract. Make soups with vegetables, lots of olive oil, beans and legumes, lentils ,coconut milk or cream and spices ( also make sauces with this similar recipe ). Eat fatty fish ( high calorie, full of good fats and high protein and omega-3's ! Buy tinned for cheaper ). Potatoes and sweet potatoes - add lots of butter or peanut butter or mash with milk / cream. Meats are great in any sort paired with a high calorie homemade sauce, rice, and a stir fry made with oil and sprinkled with nuts and / or seeds. Raw nuts and seeds are your friends !! You can put them on anything - sweet or savoury. Full fat greek yoghurt parfait with chocolate , gluten free cereal and nits / seeds and peanut butter. Rice cakes with hummus and salad and meat. Rice cakes with peanut butter and chocolate and fruit / bananas or cheese / soft cheese / quark, salad and meat. Make high calorie oat bars with gluten free oats, peanut butter, honey, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, chocolate - anything you want to add ! Make flourless brownies with black beans or oats instead of the flour - can make some with oats, bananas, milk, unsweetened cocoa powder and honey and chocolate chips. Avocados are high calorie , full of healthy fats and nutrients - use as savoury or sweet ( mash and mix with unsweetened cocoa powder, banana, vanilla extract - chocolate dessert. Or make guacamole or wrap in bacon and bake or pair with eggs ( another high protein high calorie saviour ! ) . Rice is so versatile and can be used as a base in any dish - add sauces, meat, veg, eggs, stiry fry in oil etc. Make high calorie salsa. Make banana, oat cookies. All of these are gluten free, healthy and high calorie without having to go to buy silly expensive stuff !! ( though not gluten intolerant I am yeast intolerant so a lot of gluten-like foods I cannot have - you'd be surprised how many foods have yeast in too but yes gluten tastes great but there are so many alternatives I promise !! ). As for gaining - make sure you are eating a surplus to your calorie needa by calculating online and trial and error with how your progress is going week by week . Add srrength training and no cardio and if your weight gain is slowing, add more calories ( around 250-300 more) every 5 days to see ! I have been gaining weight for 3 years after anorexia nervosa and this is what I have been doing ( but also have been drinking malnutrition supplement drinks to help - but this was due to a small stomach, malnutrition and fear of food - i hace no fear now ! Fats and carbs are just as inportant as the protein ! :) ) good luck !!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    carcarxx94 wrote: »
    To add to the food / diet side there are many gluten free dishes to help that taste great ! :) if you google them you'll mostly get recipes with hard to find and expensive ingredients etc but it can be so easy to substitute for gluten free ingredients that are cheap ! But gluten free oats and either have oatmeal made with full fat milk or cream and peanut butter and / or 80%+ dark chocolate on top. Make shakes with full fat milk , oats, bananas, avocado, spinach or other fruit or veg, unsweetened cocoa powder and some vanilla extract. Make soups with vegetables, lots of olive oil, beans and legumes, lentils ,coconut milk or cream and spices ( also make sauces with this similar recipe ). Eat fatty fish ( high calorie, full of good fats and high protein and omega-3's ! Buy tinned for cheaper ). Potatoes and sweet potatoes - add lots of butter or peanut butter or mash with milk / cream. Meats are great in any sort paired with a high calorie homemade sauce, rice, and a stir fry made with oil and sprinkled with nuts and / or seeds. Raw nuts and seeds are your friends !! You can put them on anything - sweet or savoury. Full fat greek yoghurt parfait with chocolate , gluten free cereal and nits / seeds and peanut butter. Rice cakes with hummus and salad and meat. Rice cakes with peanut butter and chocolate and fruit / bananas or cheese / soft cheese / quark, salad and meat. Make high calorie oat bars with gluten free oats, peanut butter, honey, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, chocolate - anything you want to add ! Make flourless brownies with black beans or oats instead of the flour - can make some with oats, bananas, milk, unsweetened cocoa powder and honey and chocolate chips. Avocados are high calorie , full of healthy fats and nutrients - use as savoury or sweet ( mash and mix with unsweetened cocoa powder, banana, vanilla extract - chocolate dessert. Or make guacamole or wrap in bacon and bake or pair with eggs ( another high protein high calorie saviour ! ) . Rice is so versatile and can be used as a base in any dish - add sauces, meat, veg, eggs, stiry fry in oil etc. Make high calorie salsa. Make banana, oat cookies. All of these are gluten free, healthy and high calorie without having to go to buy silly expensive stuff !! ( though not gluten intolerant I am yeast intolerant so a lot of gluten-like foods I cannot have - you'd be surprised how many foods have yeast in too but yes gluten tastes great but there are so many alternatives I promise !! ). As for gaining - make sure you are eating a surplus to your calorie needa by calculating online and trial and error with how your progress is going week by week . Add srrength training and no cardio and if your weight gain is slowing, add more calories ( around 250-300 more) every 5 days to see ! I have been gaining weight for 3 years after anorexia nervosa and this is what I have been doing ( but also have been drinking malnutrition supplement drinks to help - but this was due to a small stomach, malnutrition and fear of food - i hace no fear now ! Fats and carbs are just as inportant as the protein ! :) ) good luck !!

What she said!

Gluten free ingredients aren't that expensive, gluten free alternatives are. Breads, pastas etc are usually more than double the price of the wheat flour equivalent. The flours, yeast etc aren't anywhere near as bad. Find some solid GF recipes online and make your own breads, pasta, wraps, pancakes, muffins, the possibilities are endless.

Add extra oil to everything, when frying load it, add to salads, tablespoon in your shakes. Its a great way to add an extra 130kcal to any meal.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This happened to me also. I had malabsorption. I'm 5'2". I could not gain past 95 pounds and my health was suffering in many ways. I had to cut out the foods I was intolerant to such as gluten, and for me quinoa. Due to my gut damage I also have to be on a low fodmap diet for now. I am much healthier and have gained weight. It's worth it! I also like Udi's gluten free three cheese pizza!
  • diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What a great thread - so great to all contributors to read such practical, useful and sensible advice! Great job!!!
    Try Coconut Oil and what they said, oats are so good and high in protein and reduce triglycerides Bonus!!! Seriously Google coconut oil for the health benefits,not to mention great for your body (skin) for after showering, mouthwash etc
    Seeds like Flaxseed and nuts are great to munch with some cottage cheese too. Hungry now just thinking about this yummy stuff!!!