So I was prescribed Adipex has anybody had experience with it?

Options
I'm kind of iffy on having to use pills but so far since I started last Thursday I've lost four pounds.

Has anybody else taken it and how was it for you?

Replies

• aj11311
    aj11311 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep taking them now. And they make u lose hella weight fast if u can lose like 15 -25 lb a month if u work out wit it my bestie lose 100lb n 6month on them
  • actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Have you had any weird side effects? I've been doing an 1 or 2 hours of cardio every day
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yes and it was horrible. I lost 30-40 lbs gained it all back plus some because I was literally starving. Had heart palpitations and migraines horribly. It stopped working after 2 months. You don't learn anything to nourish your body correctly. Watch out for adverse effects like heart valve issues and so fourth. I recommend you just changing your diet.Those pills are harsh and honestly not worth the "quick fix".
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think excessive sweating , dry mouth, anxiety are also some symptoms my friends have had on them. They had the quick success but it all came back when they stopped only eating 500-800 cals a day. But then they lost it the right way and did much better w/o the pills.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Adipex = Phentermine

I know the "Fen" part was the dangerous part of the Fen-Phen, but I'd still be reluctant to take Phentermine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    Adipex = Phentermine

I know the "Fen" part was the dangerous part of the Fen-Phen, but I'd still be reluctant to take Phentermine.

Phentermine also has dangerous side effects: http://www.drugs.com/phentermine.html
  • ketorach
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Adipex = Phentermine

Phentermine also has dangerous side effects: http://www.drugs.com/phentermine.html
    Well, yeah, sure. Because it's basically speed.

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Do a forum search for Adipex. You'll learn a lot.

In the meantime if you're determined to take these pills for weight loss you should start researching a healthy lifestyle now. Find ways to lose weight the correct way. CICO. You'll need this knowledge when you gain back all the weight you lost from the pills.

I speak from experience. Two go rounds with Adipex when I was younger and ill informed.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    legalized speed. not long term success.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    wow 10 minutes since the last diet pill thread, what took so long?

I posted this like two days ago but alright.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    xtina315 wrote: »
    Yes and it was horrible. I lost 30-40 lbs gained it all back plus some because I was literally starving. Had heart palpitations and migraines horribly. It stopped working after 2 months. You don't learn anything to nourish your body correctly. Watch out for adverse effects like heart valve issues and so fourth. I recommend you just changing your diet.Those pills are harsh and honestly not worth the "quick fix".

I have changed my diet and I'm working out 6 to 7 times a week. I wasn't looking for a quick fix my doctor just looked at me at my first appointment with him and he said I NEEDED something for the weight loss. I trusted his decision?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I have changed my diet and I'm working out 6 to 7 times a week. I wasn't looking for a quick fix my doctor just looked at me at my first appointment with him and he said I NEEDED something for the weight loss. I trusted his decision?

I'm surprised a doctor would jump right into prescribing dangerous diet pills. If it were me, I'd be looking for a new doctor.

All you NEED for weight loss is to create a calorie deficit. This speed will help you create the deficit, but it's not healthy and not sustainable, you can do it on your own. That's why so many people say they gained so much weight back after taking it, they're relying on the pills to give them energy to work out, make them not eat, etc..
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    aj11311 wrote: »
    Yep taking them now. And they make u lose hella weight fast if u can lose like 15 -25 lb a month if u work out wit it my bestie lose 100lb n 6month on them

I lost 100# in 7 months without taking anything, no surgery, just limiting calories and logging everything I ate and drank on MFP.

Perhaps your doctor has some stock or personal interest in the company that manufactures them. There really is no magic pill. I would personally find a different doctor.
  • ketorach
    Options

Do you mind sharing your height & weight? At your age, this seems like an extreme measure when diet and exercise alone can be successful and better prepare you for a lifetime of healthy eating.

• actualbettycrocker
    Options

Do you mind sharing your height & weight? At your age, this seems like an extreme measure when diet and exercise alone can be successful and better prepare you for a lifetime of healthy eating.

5'3, 169. I think it's because it was so much weight gain in so little time. I was 128 two years ago and then I went to culinary school and everything went downhill from there.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll share this with my family so I can stop.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is like any other medical intervention. It can give you fast results in the beginning, but eventually, you'll be on your own to make the right choices or you will gain the weight back.