We are the lucky ones.

Options
It breaks my heart. But some of our members are bed ridden. Some can hardly move. Some are here for healths sake. Some feel pain with every step. Some don't know how to say "no." Brothers and Sisters, we extend our hands. Take it, we are here for you. To help you. We support and love you. You can overcome. -mfp community

Replies

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I read that as an empathetic post reaching out to those who may need support and understanding that end of the spectrum, it doesn't say anything about comparison of them to others or competition. But we all read stuff on the Internet and glean a different context from the same post!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    I read that as an empathetic post reaching out to those who may need support and understanding that end of the spectrum, it doesn't say anything about comparison of them to others or competition. But we all read stuff on the Internet and glean a different context from the same post!

That's how i read it also.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    shell, I think you are seeing malintent where there is none. I saw that as a kind and generous extension of goodwill, acceptance and love.

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I can hardly walk due to sciatica and do consider you the lucky ones. I've been almost completely bedridden for the last half year and really envy everyone who can help their weight loss with extra exercise. I hope I can get better and be able to start exercising too. But for now it is 1200 calories for me.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand this post, at all, but I don't think luck has anything to do with it, either way.

Yes, there are members facing adverse difficulty. But if you read the success forums, there's been several who overcame those difficulties or worked around them.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I can hardly walk due to sciatica and do consider you the lucky ones. I've been almost completely bedridden for the last half year and really envy everyone who can help their weight loss with extra exercise. I hope I can get better and be able to start exercising too. But for now it is 1200 calories for me.

I think this captures the intent of the OP. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to spend hours at the gym every day (not that it's really necessary anyway) but there's always a way to get the job done, whatever one's limitations. Some folks with limitations who are having trouble losing just need someone to lead them in the right direction.
  • brrrimcold1984
    brrrimcold1984 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    To make it clear, I wasn't trying to down anyone, or use someones disability as motivation. It should be recognized though, that able bodied individuals DO have it easier than those that aren't as fortunate. If you're able to move without pain, feel blessed. If you're not, know that there are people that empathize and are here to support you.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Well let's hope that is the case and that I read it wrong. It still doesn't seem too motivated to me to hear a long list of the barriers and limitations that people may or may not have. It's not usually how I support, but I do know there is a lot of different kinds of support around here.

@shell1005 , I read it in a similar vein - to me the post came across as bizarre and patronising... "oh the poor things with their illnesses and disabilities".
    And the "brothers and sisters" bit sounds like a bad line from one of those tele-evangelists - and evangelism always rub me up the wrong way.

I guess it's one of those examples that was, no doubt, meant as a kindness, but really didn't come across that way to me.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I must be doing my disability wrong, as I feel blessed even though I can't move without pain (when I can move at all). I don't envy anyone - such an ugly emotion IMO - and don't want anyone to envy me.

I don't think able-bodied people have it easier than me; we all have our own crosses to bear. OP you probably had the best of intentions, but it would have been much kinder to say "let's just be nice to each other" without doing the comparison thing.