Bulking advice

Options
Hi! My name's Zach & I'm new here.
I was wondering if anyone here could answer a few questions for me.
I'm 177 cm tall,weigh 69.3 kg.
Here's my latest assessment:

Skeletal Muscle Mass: 33.3 kg
Body Fat Mass: 10.2 kg
BMI: 22.1
Body Fat %: 14.6
Should I start a clean bulk?
Also how much calorie surplus would you recommend?
Thanks.

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    18 YO male with copious amounts of testosterone and currently 14-15% BF. you are prime candidate for a recomp (gaining muscle whilst losing fat - slower progress but some people love it) or bulk.

Head to the gym, then the fridge - repeat as required.
  • ZacharyWolfe
    ZacharyWolfe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :)
    The app suggests I need to eat around 3300 calories per day. I'm a quite active person & I go to the gym 4 times a week. Should I eat more than this?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a reasonable starting weight if you want to add muscle. What you should do is regularly record your weight, some body measurements (chest, waist, thighs are good) and take some pictures. Most people measure daily or weekly. Use all these to monitor your progress.

you want to see your weight gradually increasing (say 1lb per week) but if the waist measurement is going up more than chest and thighs* - you are adding in more fat than muscle so you can bring the cals back down a little. Use this method to tweak calories.

* note that when waist measurement varies significantly - eat a big meal and your 2 or three inches bigger. 1st thing in the morning you will be smaller. You are looking for the trend and should try to ignore the peaks and troughs of all your measurements.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :)
    The app suggests I need to eat around 3300 calories per day. I'm a quite active person & I go to the gym 4 times a week. Should I eat more than this?

Try it and see. If you gain too fast, then eat a little less. If you don't gain, then eat more. It's all trial and error.
  • ZacharyWolfe
    ZacharyWolfe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Got it.
    Thank you so much guys ;)