Depo provera and weight loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• LBirkholz725
    LBirkholz725 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    NotGnarly wrote: »
    Haha you find my story discouraging because I'm sharing my personal story about how depo was bad for my health. Not sure why me being open and honest about some of the negative experiences I have had with depo would warrant such combativeness. Heck I even said my sister lost weight but she did have a non stop period for years while on it. I guess the drug companies just like the food industry sends its shill to forums to attack anyone who speaks out negatively about their product.

The Depo Shot was bad for my health too! Definitely don't recommend it for anyone
  • hensue11
    hensue11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Went on depo almost three months ago.....Depo has increased my cravings for sweets and I just cant control it. My weight has stayed the same because I exercise everyday, before depo it was dropping, I know its from the cake I eat everyday but I just cant stop, I was not like this before I went on. I have also spotted everyday....and feel emotionless......
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for a number of years in my late 20s/early 30s (44 now). For me the side effects were anxiety/depression. It crept up on me over time, and since my lifelong tendency when feeling low has been to self-medicate with food (whether needed or not), I ceased to give a monkeys about things like portion control, so the depo became a contributing factor (nothing more) to my weight gain. I didn't have cravings, I didn't *need* more food, I just didn't care enough to halt the slide. Everyone reacts differently though.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    NotGnarly wrote: »
    Haha you find my story discouraging because I'm sharing my personal story about how depo was bad for my health. Not sure why me being open and honest about some of the negative experiences I have had with depo would warrant such combativeness. Heck I even said my sister lost weight but she did have a non stop period for years while on it. I guess the drug companies just like the food industry sends its shill to forums to attack anyone who speaks out negatively about their product.

The Depo Shot was bad for my health too! Definitely don't recommend it for anyone

@LBirkholz725 please explain how it was bad for your health?
  • Staceym2112
    Staceym2112 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Might help keep the weight off. I gained 30 lbs on that and switched to the Nuva ring which I lost weight with.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Might help keep the weight off. I gained 30 lbs on that and switched to the Nuva ring which I lost weight with.

You gained due to excess calories prob from increased appetite...Nuva ring is a hormonal BC too...Nuvaring lists weight gain as a side effect as well...

http://birth-control.healthgrove.com/compare/14-15/Vaginal-Ring-NuvaRing-vs-Shot-Injection-Depo-Provera