No more stomach issues

Options
wolverine66
wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
When I was at my fattest, it was not uncommon that certain foods would have a negative impact on my stomach. Spicy food, milk, red meat, and others all could have been the spark of an unpleasant night of stomach issues and heart burn.

The other night, I realized this doesn't happen anymore. Almost not at all. I can't remember the last time I had heartburn.

I am about 55-60 lbs less fat. And I would have thought that since I don't eat those foods quite as often as I used to, that they would effect me more, not less. Does anyone have an idea as to why they don't?

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    That's great! I'm not sure shy but it's the same for me. I used to have to take a Prevacid everyday for severe heartburn/acid reflux. Now I've stopped taking them after losing 39lbs.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Yep, sounds like you had GERD/Reflux which is reduced in 90% of patients once they lose weight or are in the normal BMI range.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. When i was eating like a man-baby, shoving fast food down my throat nearly daily, i suffered from heartburn every couple of months.

Since i've started eating healthy meals in reasonable proportions, i don't get heartburn at all, even when i do over-indulge.

I don't know exactly what's going on, but my assumption was that i was keeping my digestive track on the brink of emergency with constant poor eating, and occasionally i would tip it over. Now i keep it in fairly good condition, and it is much more resilient to spicy foods or a late-night greasy breakfast.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    It could be not just the food items, but the amount that you were taking in at a time.