What's with the capuccino and macchiato calories?

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
I make espresso, capuccino, and macciato at home.

A shot or two of espresso (2 calories?). 2-4 oz of skim milk foamed up. When I go to my local coffee shop, they do the same thing.

When I go to enter it in MFP, if I enter capuccino or macciato, I get some huge amount of calories. If I enter the milk and coffee, I get almost none. The steam is not a magical calorie infuser.

Why are the coffee drinks (without listed syrups) so high when they're done by places like Starbucks? Size? Full milk does have a lot more calories than I would have guessed.

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    The difference would probably be due to either the type of milk they use (most use full fat milk or cream) along with the fact that some places add in sugar or a sugar syrup to their drinks.

If you make it at home and have them often make your own recipe for the drinks to add.
  • magpie_17
    magpie_17 Posts: 124
    Options
    I agree with thisismeraw - the amount of sugar in the drinks you get at Starbucks is astonishing. I try to go skim milk, sugar-free syrup when I get a drink there, but even when I get something like a green tea latte without syrup and with nonfat milk, there's sugar in the matcha powder - can't win!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The trick is to ask for the skinny version of your coffee drink at Starbucks...they use Splenda, skim milk, and sugar free syrup. Cuts down hugely on the calories and the taste is till there.