5 months pregnant starting @260lbs and starting the MFP

Options
13»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    mirraivana wrote: »
    You definitely do not need to be "eating for two" but you should not be concerned with losing while pregnant. ANY time you create a deficit in your nutritional intake so that you could "lose weight" you are taking away nutrients from the baby. It is a PART of you and gets all of its food from everything you eat, and if you limit yourself drastically, (and a 2 pound/week weight loss goal is a huge deficit) there will come a time when your body will have to make a decision as to whether it goes without nutrients or the baby does.

You need to talk to your OBGYN, be CLEAR in your plan and make sure they understand that at 1300 calories a day you are set up for a 2lb a week loss. I'm pregnant myself, and I'm eating 1700 calories a day and I still lost weight this month, and I didn't mean to, a loss wasn't my intent. I meant to maintain what I have and worry about losing once the baby was delivered.

As far as loosing weight I think that it will happen just from the diet change due to the fact that i dont want to drik coke anymore as i was drinking 10 cans per day and eating MCD's and fast things, so loosing a few lbs is i think inevitable. My goal of loosing 2lbs per week is my goal -AFTER I deliver since i do want to be around my children while they are growing up . I will in no way put my child in danger over few lbs ;)

If your extra calories were coming from soda, then not only it is safe to cut these out, it is probably also recommended. This is not something that is helping the baby grow.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    I understand not wanting to gain too much during pregnancy, when starting out heavy. But it has been my understanding that you should never ever try to lose weight once pregnant. Keeping your gain to a minimum, sure. And I agree....this needs to be addressed with your OB.

This is not true, and in fact exactly the opposite of what current science tells us. There is lots of recent research showing that pregnant women who are obese can safely maintain weight or perhaps even lose a bit, with better outcomes than those who gain. Even women who start a pregnancy at a normal weight do not need to increase caloric intake until the second trimester and even then, the increase is only 200 calories/day.

Trying OP...TRYING? You should be eating well all of the time and moving every day. Anything else is reprehensible.

Children conceived by obese mothers are at a HUGE disadvantage for lifelong health--the very least that you can do is to take care of yourself well now that you are pregnant.

Geez!
    Call me reprehensible then. I didnt eat well all the time nor did I exercise everyday.

Please back this up:
    "Children conceived by obese mothers are at a HUGE disadvantage for lifelong health--the very least that you can do is to take care of yourself well now that you are pregnant."

*and not the NY Times opinion article, please*
    Im sorry, I just cant get over how insulting your post sounds.

Not the poster you are replying to, but since you asked for links:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2621047/
    "The fetus is at risk for stillbirth and congenital anomalies. Obesity in pregnancy can also affect health later in life for both mother and child. For women, these risks include heart disease and hypertension. Children have a risk of future obesity and heart disease. Women and their offspring are at increased risk for diabetes."

https://www.noo.org.uk/NOO_about_obesity/maternal_obesity_2015/child_outcomes
    " A study from the north of England found that the risk of fetal and infant death was two to three times greater for women who were obese at the start of pregnancy compared with women with a healthy BMI."
    "There is a growing body of evidence which links maternal obesity and increased risk of some chronic health conditions in children. Recent findings from the Helsinki Birth Cohort Study found that higher maternal BMI in late pregnancy was associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer among the offspring. Potential influencing factors were identified as pre-pregnancy overweight combined with weight gain during pregnancy, and by maternal weight and blood glucose control at the end of pregnancy. Maternal pre-pregnancy weight, as well as higher maternal gestational weight gain in early pregnancy have also been associated with greater cardio-metabolic risk factors in childhood."
    "There is also growing evidence that excessive gestational weight gain (GWG) is linked to childhood overweight and obesity. One study found that compared with offspring of women with moderate GWG, offspring of women who gained excess weight had 40% increased risk of offspring obesity. Another study found that excessive weight gain during both early and later periods of pregnancy was associated with more than twice the risk of offspring obesity compared to overall non-excessive GWG"
    "There is good evidence that maternal obesity is associated with an increased risk of congenital anomalies including neural tube defects, spina bifida, cardiovascular anomalies, septal anomalies, cleft lip and palate,[58] anorectal atresia, hydrocephaly, limb reduction anomalies, eye anomalies and ventricular septal defects"
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    I understand not wanting to gain too much during pregnancy, when starting out heavy. But it has been my understanding that you should never ever try to lose weight once pregnant. Keeping your gain to a minimum, sure. And I agree....this needs to be addressed with your OB.

This is not true, and in fact exactly the opposite of what current science tells us. There is lots of recent research showing that pregnant women who are obese can safely maintain weight or perhaps even lose a bit, with better outcomes than those who gain. Even women who start a pregnancy at a normal weight do not need to increase caloric intake until the second trimester and even then, the increase is only 200 calories/day.

Trying OP...TRYING? You should be eating well all of the time and moving every day. Anything else is reprehensible.

Children conceived by obese mothers are at a HUGE disadvantage for lifelong health--the very least that you can do is to take care of yourself well now that you are pregnant.

Geez!
    Call me reprehensible then. I didnt eat well all the time nor did I exercise everyday.

Please back this up:
    "Children conceived by obese mothers are at a HUGE disadvantage for lifelong health--the very least that you can do is to take care of yourself well now that you are pregnant."

*and not the NY Times opinion article, please*
    Im sorry, I just cant get over how insulting your post sounds.

Not the poster you are replying to, but since you asked for links:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2621047/
    "The fetus is at risk for stillbirth and congenital anomalies. Obesity in pregnancy can also affect health later in life for both mother and child. For women, these risks include heart disease and hypertension. Children have a risk of future obesity and heart disease. Women and their offspring are at increased risk for diabetes."

https://www.noo.org.uk/NOO_about_obesity/maternal_obesity_2015/child_outcomes
    " A study from the north of England found that the risk of fetal and infant death was two to three times greater for women who were obese at the start of pregnancy compared with women with a healthy BMI."
    "There is a growing body of evidence which links maternal obesity and increased risk of some chronic health conditions in children. Recent findings from the Helsinki Birth Cohort Study found that higher maternal BMI in late pregnancy was associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer among the offspring. Potential influencing factors were identified as pre-pregnancy overweight combined with weight gain during pregnancy, and by maternal weight and blood glucose control at the end of pregnancy. Maternal pre-pregnancy weight, as well as higher maternal gestational weight gain in early pregnancy have also been associated with greater cardio-metabolic risk factors in childhood."
    "There is also growing evidence that excessive gestational weight gain (GWG) is linked to childhood overweight and obesity. One study found that compared with offspring of women with moderate GWG, offspring of women who gained excess weight had 40% increased risk of offspring obesity. Another study found that excessive weight gain during both early and later periods of pregnancy was associated with more than twice the risk of offspring obesity compared to overall non-excessive GWG"
    "There is good evidence that maternal obesity is associated with an increased risk of congenital anomalies including neural tube defects, spina bifida, cardiovascular anomalies, septal anomalies, cleft lip and palate,[58] anorectal atresia, hydrocephaly, limb reduction anomalies, eye anomalies and ventricular septal defects"

Thank you!!
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I did not read all the previous comments but when I was pregnant with my 2nd I only gained 16lbs and with the approval of my OB I was told to eat 1500 calories a day and walk as much as possible. I walked every night from the time I found out I was pregnant until I was 7-8 months pregnant (got too hot outside) and I also work in an office but I worked all the way up until I went into labor at work haha
    with my 1st pregnancy I gained 50lbs and I was not smart at all I was young and stupid thinking all this weight will come off once I have the baby well 7 years later and I'm still trying to lose that baby weight
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the links for myself and if I were the OP I certainly would.
    I asked for them simply because berating a pregnant person for already being overweight was not called for and this is definitely a more tactful representation of the issues being discussed.

I find this particularly interesting- only to derail this topic a smidge more.

"One mechanism thought to underlie these relationships is in utero fetal programming by nutritional stimuli. Fetuses have to adapt to the supply of nutrients crossing the placenta whether a deficit or an overabundance, and these adaptations may permanently change their physiology and metabolism."
    These programmed changes may serve as the origins of a diverse array of diseases that arise later in life, including heart disease, hypertension, and non-insulindependent diabetes (Figure 1). Moreover, because of fetal programming, obesity may become a self-perpetuating problem. Daughters of obese women may themselves be vulnerable to becoming obese and more likely to have offspring who share this vulnerability."

....are we "programmed" to be overweight/obese by what our mothers eat?
    It was always my understanding that my baby takes what it needs from me, not my food directly.
    I am intrigued. But I understand this forum is not the place for this.

Best of luck to you OP!!
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Mine wanted me to stick to a 1600 calorie diet. My highest weight while pregnant with my now 8 month old was 227.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I am obese (234 lbs when I got pregnant almost 2 years ago) and had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy. I ate like a fiend right up until my diagnosis. At that point I went on their strict diet and then insulin when I couldn't control blood sugar with diet alone (I followed the recommendations to a T). My point is, that diet had me eating 2100-2400 calories a day. In my first 4 weeks I lost about 10 lbs (having gained 40 to that point) and I then maintained to the end of my pregnancy. The GD meal plan is pretty reasonable in terms of both calories and nutrition--not exactly carb restricted, but light on simple carbs and heavy on more complex ones. You could try that for a while. Given you are growing a human, you want to give them the best possible start in life while taking care of yourself too.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Increase your exercise for sure. Good luck to you and your baby <3
  • Aubrey_Montgomery
    Aubrey_Montgomery Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to reccommend an experienced nutritionist. 1380 is to low. But you have enough to lose that it should be safe for you to do so while pregnant. I like to use the choosemyplate . gov while pregnant. It has a lot of good info. Im 8 months pregnant and lost 70lbs prior to getting pregnant
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    I agree with the group here to discuss in great detail with your doctor.

With that being said, my main question (if I were in your shoes) is do you NEED to eat enough to maintain your current weight of 260? What if you eat enough for someone who weighs 200 to maintain? Wouldn't that be enough?

Please know I am just posing the question. I do not know what the doctor will say, and you should follow his/her advice. With that being said, I'm sure changing your diet to healthier options is always a good idea.

Congrats!