How does Air Fryer food taste?

Options
2»

Replies

• greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I love my (well my sister's) air fryer. It really does make things much crispier, and in my opinion more delicious, than in the oven. We've made chicken tenders, fries, mozzarella sticks, even tried making cookies once!

How it works is that the little bit of oil you put on the food (or that is in the food) is drained to the bottom and then used as heat to really crisp the food up, similar to a convection oven. Definitely worth it I would say.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    All that stuff can be made in your oven.
    Using the oven here in the summer is awful.

Speaking of using the oven in the summer, would a convection oven let me bake in the summer without wanting to jump into the fridge? Any you guys would recommend.

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Now I want one
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I thought about the airfryer thing a while back so I watched some really long boring painfully slow YouTube videos and I was not impressed. I'd rather bake.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    We just got a NuWave Brio(ideal for 1-2 people)...which is a twin to the Philips Viva Air Fryer....and it's the bomb. It's alot like a NuWave oven if you know what that is....but in my week-old experience, we've done t-bones, homemade chicken fried steaks, tater tots, grilled veggies...so much more than the "Try the Air-Fried French Fries" ads that promote these air fryers. I have a homemade chicken fried steak recipe that clocks in at 450 calories for a 6oz vs 1400 calories for the same size at Chili's. I think we're going to get along just fine. :) BTW, we decided to return the Brio because we ordered the larger Philips Viva XL Air Fryer (ideal for 5-6 people) since we like to have company and need to have more cooking space.

If you aren't sure...go buy one and try it. If it's not a good fit then return it. But I bet if you really try it, you'll keep it. It's a great tool in the weight loss toolbox.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Oven chips come out crisper than a convection oven but don't really taste deep fried. Chicken wings on the other hand were incredibly crisp and are as good as deep fried.

My air fryer is new so I have only done wings once. I dredged them lightly in a combination of salt, baking powder and cornstarch and cooked in two stages. 15 minutes at 150C in advance and when we wanted to eat finished 10 minutes at 200C.