The struggles

Options
I'd eat my whole fridge lol

Replies

• kristinleah939
    kristinleah939 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do to help not over eat ?
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Exercise. Go for a walk, or just find something else to do that doesnt involve food
  • gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Putting your long-term goals ahead of short-term pleasure works for me. Think of what you want your body to look like 6-12 months down the road and use that as your motivation.
  • kristinleah939
    Options
  • kristinleah939
    Options
    Putting your long-term goals ahead of short-term pleasure works for me. Think of what you want your body to look like 6-12 months down the road and use that as your motivation.
    chulipa wrote: »
    Exercise. Go for a walk, or just find something else to do that doesnt involve food

Thanks guys
  • kristinleah939
    Options
    I really need to get a grip and do something more productive instead of thinking of food.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

+1. On the other side of the equation you can also make yourself turn away from foods. I'm sure there are tons of foods that you would touch with a ten foot pole. Use psychology, imagination.
  • Aryana786HM
    Aryana786HM Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also think about food the whole day.. I need to stop that..But how ?
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I try to do projects. Like organizing my jewelry collection. Also prepping and planning food and cleaning kitchen cupboards. Driving to town to wash the car....etc.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds and am approaching the 18 month mark of maintenance. I still think a lot about food. I love food, and I love to eat! But I also value my health and general well-being, including the very tangible things like not being fat, and not struggling with constant cravings. Structure and predictability is important to me. Planning meals and (usually) eating only at meals, preparing meals I really look forward to, keeping typical trigger foods out of the house, and weighing daily, is how I manage to not reguarly overeat. Waiting for the next meal enhances the anticipation of the food, and makes eating even more pleasurable. It sounds idiotic, and not at all what we are used to in our fast food society, but it's really true.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

- Ease your cravings and hunger with foods like boiled eggs, plain nuts, lots of cold water, tea.
    -
    - Don't only think good things about foods. There are nasty things that (excessive) foods can do to the body. There are two sides to everything. You need a few images in your head from extreme obesity documentaries. That will kill your appetite. LOL.
  • kristinleah939
    Options

- Ease your cravings and hunger with foods like boiled eggs, plain nuts, lots of cold water, tea.
    -
    - Don't only think good things about foods. There are nasty things that (excessive) foods can do to the body. There are two sides to everything. You need a few images in your head from extreme obesity documentaries. That will kill your appetite. LOL.

I'm trying to look up before and after its helping lol
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I drink water or coffee at work to avoid buying candy at the convenience store downstairs. Fighting the urge right now, actually. At home, I keep busy and just go to bed early if I'm hungry. Or, I get some extra exercise calories in and have a snack. Good luck!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Make sure your goals aren't too aggressive. How much do you want/need to lose? What did you enter into MFP as your weight loss goal per week?
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Water app helped me with food cravings. I will still add some sweets now and again to keep my mind in it, but I look up filling proteins and yummy recipes on Pinterest that fit into my low carb route.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I have several get to tricks to try and limit the snacking:
    1. drink water or tea. I go to the break room, make a cup of tea/grab a large glass of water and finish it before I allow myself the snack. The main cause for my snacking is what my mom calls 'boredom around the mouth'. Making a cup of tea, grabbing a glass of water or any calorie-free drink actually helped me with that since it fulfils the need of putting something in my mouth. It also means I have to go the bathroom a lot more, which adds to my daily step count. Most of my work colleagues think I have a chronic bladder infection with the amount of times I run to the restroom. I don't disabuse them of that particular notion.
    2. if I eat, I eat and nothing else. I stop doing whatever I'm doing and focus on the food. If I want to eat a cookie during work. I get up from my desk and go to the break room. Have an apple in front of the TV? Go to the kitchen during the next commercial break, peel it, cut it and arrange it on a place, then sit down at the table and eat it.
    3. busy hands/feet. I keep my hands/feet busy doing thing. I knit when I'm watching TV (my family love the near unending supply of sweaters and scarves and even puts in orders for special items). I volunteer to run the errands for the department with the added bonus of free movement. My boss didn't like it at first since as a translator I'm supposed to be behind my screen. But when I proved to her that I'm more productive if I regularly get up to move, she stopped complaining and actually made sure the errand runs are timed to give me 45 minutes translation work and 15 minutes to run errands and stop at a bathroom (see point 1) for the reason why). I still do work, but my brain gets the necessary rest, my body moves and I'm not thinking of eating since I'm busy finding the person who needs XYZ document. Not to mention the colleague who did the running up to now hated doing that. ;)
    4. Crunch effect. I LOVE chips. I can destroy an entire bag in 5 minutes flat. I found that that what I actually like is the sound of eating chips. So I pack carrot sticks (less than 20 cals for 100gr) and eat those when I get that urge. I satisfies my need for the crunch effect of eating chips and doesn't matter how many of those I eat (I DARE you to try and eat 1kg of carrots in one sitting)

For me it really was a matter of finding things to do when the urge to snack hit. For most of them it was trial and error. For some that include my time at work, I actually had to get my boss' approval before applying them since they had an impact on how I do my work and my productivity (in a positive sense, which always helps). If after a few days you notice that you hate whatever strategy you're trying, don't bother with it. You actually have to enjoy it for it to work. (I would never have guessed how avid a knitter I am, but my production speaks volumes about that).

Cheers and Good luck :smile:

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with boredom hunger, and I usually combat it by distracting myself (movie, book, video game) and/or playing a game of drinking water/tea/whatever when I think "man I'm hungry".
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My nails have never looked so good as since I started losing weight! lol If I feel like snacking at night, I will paint my nails :) That usually gives me something to do for a bit and then I don't want to do anything to ruin them while they dry. Usually, by the time they're dry, I don't want whatever I was craving in the first place.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    smiles4jo wrote: »
    My nails have never looked so good as since I started losing weight! lol If I feel like snacking at night, I will paint my nails :) That usually gives me something to do for a bit and then I don't want to do anything to ruin them while they dry. Usually, by the time they're dry, I don't want whatever I was craving in the first place.

I think I might have to add that to my list of things to do to keep myself from reaching for that snack. :smiley:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my food as much as possible. If I know the craving will fit or not helps me make a decision on whether it's worth it to eat it.