Coconut Milk is bad for us???!!! WWHHHYYYY!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Depends how you eat too... if you want to take in extra fat for eg. paleo eating then it is wholly recommended to get the regular full fat and enjoy alot of it. If you're interested in calories and low fat you can easily get half fat coconut milk too... watch out for the bloating though - too much can cause tummy upset and it's easy to overdo as it tastes verrryyy nice!! lol
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The saturated fat in coconut milk is not "bad" for you. However, the overall calories might make it harder to meet your calorie deficit. If you like it, work it into your day and keep it! I usually use light coconut milk, which is basically watered down coconut milk, but it has fewer calories and makes less of a dent in my day.

This ^^^^^^^

So Delicious unflavored coconut milk is great for cooking or even on cereal if you eat that. We can't do dairy and I won't use other alternative milks because they are higher in carbs/sugar.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is not bad for you as such - it's seriously delicious. But, as others have said, the stuff in a can is pretty concentrated form of calories, so you're definitely going to have to pay attention to the quantity.
    I love it in curries or desserts, but I wouldn't eat it with cereal any more than I would eat delicious but calorie dense King Island cream on my weetbix.

I would also argue that there's nothing "unnatural" about cow's milk. Of course if you choose not to use dairy products that's your choice, I don't have a problem with that, but it doesn't make it an unnatural food.
    I've tried out a few dairy milk alternatives (almond "milk", almond/coconut "milk", soy "milk"), they taste much more unnatural to me, and are much more of a processed product, if that's something that bothers you.
  • hitnrun287
    hitnrun287 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use the carton Silk unsweetened coconut milk. Per cup is 45 cal, 4g total fat, 3.5g sat fat, 0 trans fat, 0 cholesterol, 35 sodium, 40 potassium, <1g total carb and sugars, 0g protein.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That "good for you" and "bad for you" mentality will drive you crazy if you obsess too much about it. Nothing is wrong with coconut milk in moderation. Saturated fat is only bad if you overeat it. Dairy milk is not unnatural or bad. I would also argue that even trans fats, which have been proven over and over again to be bad are not bad for you if you only have them occasionally in tiny amounts. The body is an amazing machine. It takes way more abuse than a bit of saturated fat to break it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    There is light coconut milk, too. I use that mostly in cooking. I opened a can of full-fat for the first time in years lately to make dessert (vegan chocolate truffles... sooooooooooooo gooood) this week, but mostly, I just get the light.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    There is light coconut milk, too. I use that mostly in cooking. I opened a can of full-fat for the first time in years lately to make dessert (vegan chocolate truffles... sooooooooooooo gooood) this week, but mostly, I just get the light.

The "light" coconut milk in a can is just a 50-50 mix of regular canned coconut milk and water. Save yourself some money by buying regular and adding the water yourself.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Year old thread, @amusedmonkey Very unnatural, and bad. :/

But buttt... I did not resurrect it, I just fell for it :( I don't even know how people find these threads.

Edited: my spelling was unnatural and bad

Google/bing/etc

Honestly it's better that they bump the zombie threads than make new ones, IMO. This way the wealth of previous knowledge can be recycled. If people are hitting it on google, it means the page has relevance and others are here looking for information using the same search terms.