Eating back calories

Options
Hey all! Im sorry if this has already been discussed but Im having the hardest time figuring out if I should eat back my work out calories. MFP seems to say yes but my personal trainer said no.
Im on a 1200cal regimen so it's hard to keep up without eating some back but then again, I dont want to gain! I would really appreciate the help!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat back the calories you burn through exercise. Remind your trainer that your MFP goal *already* has a deficit built in, before exercise, and if you increase the size of that deficit, you NEED to eat to fuel your activity. Your calorie goal is already very low.

Remember that trainers tend to be under-informed on nutrition. Use him or her for advice on workouts, not food.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I eat back about 1/4 of the calories, and am steadily losing 1-2 lb per week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    MFP gave you a calorie deficit with ZERO exercise factored in, so it is designed for you to eat exercise calories back.

1200 is the lowest default minimum in MFP, so you are either a senior, extremely petite, or you chose an aggressive weekly weight loss goal. So unless you are a senior or very petite.....you won't gain by eating some calories back.

Now, calorie burns are estimates. MFP has a reputation as being "generous." Start by eating back 50%. If weight loss is faster than expected....bump that up to 75%.

The reason for eating back calories is more than just being able to stick to it. Large deficits make is hard for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. Moderate deficits generally give you a larger % of fat loss.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Eating too little and working out isn't a good combination. Too few calories to fuel your body will have it robbing your lean muscle mass for energy. Faster weight loss is not worth that. Use MFP as it is designed, which means eating back the calories you burn through exercise, to lose weight in a more healthy and sustainable manner.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Tell your trainer MFP is based on NEAT and if he/she looks confused fire them.
  • BobRappa
    BobRappa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1200 is my number for losing 2 pounds a week, 1500 would be my number for losing 1 pound. 300 calorie difference.

So to be safe I never add back over 300 calories for exercise (Average day I might add 200 back, if I do weights plus cardio I might add 300). This way even if I shouldn't be adding them back in, I'll just be in the 'one pound' zone that day versus two.

300 calories is a small meal/large snack, I figure an extra one of those added back in to fuel a medium intensity workout sounds about right. =)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    rrappa wrote: »
    1200 is my number for losing 2 pounds a week, 1500 would be my number for losing 1 pound. 300 calorie difference.

So to be safe I never add back over 300 calories for exercise (Average day I might add 200 back, if I do weights plus cardio I might add 300). This way even if I shouldn't be adding them back in, I'll just be in the 'one pound' zone that day versus two.

300 calories is a small meal/large snack, I figure an extra one of those added back in to fuel a medium intensity workout sounds about right. =)

1200 is default minimum for WOMEN. Very large calorie deficits make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. Fast weight loss generally doesn't lower your body fat % by as much as moderate paced weight loss.

300 x 7 = 2100/3500 = .60
  • MarialejandraMarrero
    Options
    Thank you all!! Your replies have been very helpful!! I'm a pretty average woman so I think I will go ahead and start with eating a portion of the calories back. Again, THANK YOU!!!