Facebook?

Options
deaddolly
deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
edited April 2016 in Chit-Chat
Just wondering if anyone has announced that they're trying to lose weight on Facebook. Are you keeping your Facebook friends and MFP friends separate? Why/why not?

Only my close friends know I'm counting calories. Once everyone knows, they start to bother you about how much you lost or comment because you were tagged at a restaurant.

As far as Facebook friends go...I'll add anyone!

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I even belong to the MFP group on FB.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I didn't even tell my wife. I just did it.
  • deaddolly
    deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »
    I even belong to the MFP group on FB.

I didn't even know there was one! I've gotta look. Thanks!
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm part of a small group of friends that are all doing different programs to get healthier
  • BettyBaliol
    BettyBaliol Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I talk about it on FB a bit. When I hit mile stones and stuff like that. Or epic snack recipes I tend to post. A few buddies are doig weight loss or trainig so we give each other a boost.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I am on a home school group of moms on FB that is trying to lose weight. I don't talk about my weight loss much on my personal FB page because people tend to think you are showing off if you share that you have had a loss or eating better foods and exercising. I've got less to lose than some and also get tired of the comments about how I don't need to lose weight.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    What is this Facebook you guys speak of?

LOL! I was gonna quip the same thing.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    No. FB is for family and professional posts. I'm not getting into debates about fad diet BS there, but I will drop the occasional Alan Aragon article.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Making your friends read nonstop fitness posts on FB, is like when you are in your younger 20s, single, and just wanting to live life...........while your post-pregnant friends post baby pictures 5x a day. Keep it separate. I even created a fb account for my daughter so my friends don't have to view kid pics. They wanna see em, they can add her account. Keeps things simple.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I haven't told anyone other than close family. Mostly because I was ashamed to have put on weight in the first place, so didn't like to announce it!
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Nope and I only have a few real friends who I'm friends with on MFP. Vice versa, you've got to be a pretty damn special MFP friend for me to invite you into my real life on FB.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Nope and I only have a few real friends who I'm friends with on MFP. Vice versa, you've got to be a pretty damn special MFP friend for me to invite you into my real life on FB.

Oh
    My
    God.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends on FB are too sensitive about weight related anything so I seldom mention it there.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I used to check Facebook regularly, but now with so much fad diet crap, politics, religious stuff, I'd almost rather shoot myself in the face than go there... so I never do. I only keep the account so that I can use it to log into things. *shrug*
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Announcing it on FB is a great way to find out who sells weight loss products. As far as adding someone from MFP to my FB it would all depend on who it is. The only person who has asked me was a coach so that was a no go.
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Oh
    My
    God.

@Timshel_
    are you feeling special?

• GNRfan
    GNRfan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I keep them completely separate! I just prefer people I know in real life to not know I'm trying to lose weight I guess.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I don't feel comfortable enough to share my weight loss journey with my friends on Facebook because I'm afraid of being judged. Like @jkal1979 said if you do, all the fad weight loss saleswomen come out of the wood work. Then there are some who are rooting for you to fail. I would rather run into them at the store and see their surprised looks on their faces rather than announce it on Facebook. Also, I feel like strangers on here are much more supportive and encouraging.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I keep it separate primarily because I'm only friends on FB with people that I actually know IRL or have a very close relationship with online. Secondly, why does anyone on FB need to know I am working on losing weight? That's a very private issue for me.
  • ClaireHooker
    ClaireHooker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't go into details but I have said I am trying to get fit before my 30th :-)