What's the difference?

Options
Hi all. Just wondering: what's the difference between sculpting and strength training? I've been finding different at-home workouts on youtube to do with my light dumbbells, and I've seen both these. The exercises don't appear to be too different, but are they? The main reason I'm doing any sort of weight days is because I'd like to avoid having a large excess of flabby skin as I lose a significant amount of weight. Is one of these better for that? Thanks!

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Just pick stuff up bro. You're kinda limited in your options if you are using light dumbbells.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    To me - it's just marketing.

Strength training / sculpting is good for you (excess skin or no). Everyone (who is physically able) should lift heavy things or do body weight resistance training. It helps us keep more of our lean muscle mass. This is good for our overall health.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Strength training is a program that has a progressive overload and the focus is to build power and overall strength, not specifically to build muscle mass. Sculpting programs are designed to build muscle in specific areas or muscle groups to achieve a symmetrical/defined appearance.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    As far as flabby skin after weight loss, that is really up to your genetics, how fast you loose the weight and how much muscle you loose or retain during the weight loss. Losing excess weight over a longer period of time helps prevent the flabby skin look because the skin has a better opportunity to bounce back. However, once the skin is there, it's not going anywhere unless you remove it. The body can create more skin cells to cover the surface area but it doesn't have a mechanism to get rid of it. Your genetics will determine (as long as you have a solid weight loss plan) how much elasticity your skin has and how much it can bounce back. You can lessen the flabby skin by filling the space lost by fat with lean muscle but it is more difficult to do while losing weight, but not impossible. Progressive overload weight training programs are a great idea while losing weight to retain the muscle you have and possibly to build muscle.
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Especially @wilsoncl6; thank you for the helpful info!