Lack of family support.

Options
How many are doing this without the help of spouse or family.
It was a challenge for me at first but now in a zone that I can resist the temptations and keep focussed but for years was such a challenge.

I now have such drive I feel like nothing can stop me, just wish I had found this drive years ago.

Replies

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I have my husbands support, in fact, he is doing it all with me. However, I am mainly doing this for me. I want to feel good and look better. You have to do it for you. That's the best motivation. Stay with it and be strong!!!! You will be a great example to everyone.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those "do it myself" types, so I've never asked for nor needed support from my family to take care of my health. Not that it's a bad thing. Some people do need it and that's fine. But, my health is MY responsibility and neither my spouse nor any of my children eat the way I do or workout as regularly as I do but it doesn't interfere with my program nor does it affect their lives. As with any change you have to set your priorities, enforce your boundaries, and be willing to make compromises when necessary.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I'm one of those "do it myself" types, so I've never asked for nor needed support from my family to take care of my health. Not that it's a bad thing. Some people do need it and that's fine. But, my health is MY responsibility and neither my spouse nor any of my children eat the way I do or workout as regularly as I do but it doesn't interfere with my program nor does it affect their lives. As with any change you have to set your priorities, enforce your boundaries, and be willing to make compromises when necessary.

I do not ask them to eat the way I do or even to work out, I did however have to make a stand and say I will eat healthy. Not being disrespectful but regardless of how good the food is, I have to eat healthy. No longer guilted into eating what was cooked.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking a stand! I know it's not easy sometimes but learning to NOT be "guilted" into eating what everyone else is eating is great. The more you do it and the more consistent you are the less of an issue it becomes.
  • katikamichelle
    katikamichelle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this alone also ...it started out I had support but my other half found someone Skinner and didn't even give me the chance now I am down from 245 to 175 and I'm 5'10 ...I am more and more motivated everyday !!!!
  • Working_Hard4me
    Working_Hard4me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I live in a house of extreme picky eaters. I can get my kids to eat like me but when they see daddy not eating well then they want to be like him. My husband says he wants me to succeed but yet always get upset I have to fix separate meals for myself. He also gets tired of me calculating everything. It does get very frustrating at times.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I live in a house of extreme picky eaters. I can get my kids to eat like me but when they see daddy not eating well then they want to be like him. My husband says he wants me to succeed but yet always get upset I have to fix separate meals for myself. He also gets tired of me calculating everything. It does get very frustrating at times.

I agree, Its so hard to sit down to a family meal and have zero healthy choices. Sure you can pick and try and stick with in your calories, but then your hungry all night. Would also be different if it were once in a while.
    Now I just cook on the weekends so I always have chicken breasts and salad.
  • sofonisba_anguissola
    Options
    I’m on my own - or worse - with someone who seems to sabotage me often.

My boyfriend had weight loss surgery about 6 months ago. 6 months prior to surgery he had to show he was dedicated to weight loss and had to go to weigh-ins monthly and show a loss every month. I cooked and supported him in that time, through the surgery and after. He has lost over 100 pounds.

Now that he is back on a pretty normal diet he eats junk food and talks about it all the time. Because he can’t eat much he could eat junk 100% of the time and still lose weight.

Now I know I have a problem with food and when he’s not around I do ok. When junk food is talked about all the time and it’s brought in the house I’m going to eat it. He brings crap food in all the time and talks about it constantly. Then he brags about how much he’s lost and his friends are all so proud and make a huge deal about it. It’s depressing and disheartening.

So, ya. On my own. Sorry for the rant.