Wanna make sure I'm doing this right

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I have a app that is a TDEE calculator and it has estimated my TDEE to be 3,392 so going with the theory of what I read on here I should create a deficit from that of 500 calories leaving it at 2,892 and if that BMR calculator is right (and mine is 2827) I can still support my BMR of 2,827

MFP uses the NEAT method, not TDEE. Why not just use MFP for now and come back to TDEE when you get closer to goal?
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Perhaps you should show us the math and inputs that you are using in those TDEE and BMR calculators, since they seem really high. Like erinc5, I get close to 1700 as your BMR (the amount of calories you burn in a coma). That is the minimum you should eat to support your brain and organ function and that number will get smaller as you get smaller and older. Your activity level or whether you eat exercise calories or not doesn't affect that number.

Saying your BMR is 2827 and your TDEE is 3392 means you're only burning about 570 calories in your daily activities, which you obviously are exceeding with moving around and biking for 90 minutes per day so I think both of those numbers are wrong (BMR is too high, difference between BMR and TDEE is too small).
  • kansascutie81
    kansascutie81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just used a calculation from another post on here and here is what I got if my bmr is estimated at 2,827 for a sedentary lifestyle and my TDEE is estimated at 3,392 and I want to lose 20% body fat I would multiply 3,392 by .20 to get 678.4 deficit then I subtract 3,392 and 678.4 giving me a new calorie intake of 2,713.6 which means I will still support my BMR and still allows me to eat under my TDEE amount. Thank you all for your help
  • benevempress
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Your BMR is not affected by your lifestyle. It is the calories you burn being alive and not moving AT ALL. It cannot be 2827 because if the calculator you are using is asking for your activity level, it isn't BMR. Plus, you are claiming that if you eat 2713 you will "support my BMR" of 2827. You can't support your BMR by eating less than that number. Your estimators as well as your understanding of this math is wrong.

Total Daily Energy Expended (TDEE) = Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) + Calories burned by moving, including exercise. Your BMR should be close to 1740. You know better than I do how much activity you have in your life, but if you set MFP to sedentary, I'm guessing you aren't burning over 1000 - 1500 extra calories every day.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/#result

You said you wanted to make sure you aren't starving yourself. In that case, eat at least 1740 per day so you give your brain and other organs what they need. Then you can take the time to figure out the rest.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I just used a calculation from another post on here and here is what I got if my bmr is estimated at 2,827 for a sedentary lifestyle and my TDEE is estimated at 3,392 and I want to lose 20% body fat I would multiply 3,392 by .20 to get 678.4 deficit then I subtract 3,392 and 678.4 giving me a new calorie intake of 2,713.6 which means I will still support my BMR and still allows me to eat under my TDEE amount. Thank you all for your help

I'm sorry to be a drag, but I really think you are calculating things incorrectly. There is absolutely no way that your BMR is almost 3,000. As a 5'1 female you'd need to be closer to 500 lbs to have that BMR.

I might believe that your TDEE is 2800 and that you should eat 500 calories under that, but even that seems high to me.

Feel free to try out eating that much, but I predict you are going to be gaining weight.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I enter my exercise because it makes me feel good to enter it and I manually chg the calories burned to about 50ish% of what MFP shows burned. Some days I eat it back and some days I don't...just depends on how hungry I am that day:)
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    Like I said those numbers for my TDEE came from another app I downloaded after I downloaded this app and yes clearly 3000 calories a day is a lot and I am not trying to achieve that much calorie intake. If I still have remaining calories is that a good thing or bad thing
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    On another app I downloaded it says my bmr is 2081.46 which seems a bit more realistic for me and my height and weight and activity level now I just need to know how to figure what my true TDEE number is any suggestions
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the NEAT method, not TDEE. Why not just use MFP for now and come back to TDEE at some later point?
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    On another app I downloaded it says my bmr is 2081.46 which seems a bit more realistic for me and my height and weight and activity level now I just need to know how to figure what my true TDEE number is any suggestions

Activity level has no relevance to BMR. BMR is what you need to keep you body functioning. TDEE is calculate using a multiplier times your BMR

EG (Now different TDEE calculators will use different multipliers this is one example)
    Little or No Exercise: TDEE = 1.2 x BMR
    Light Exercise/Sports 1 to 3 Times Per Week: TDEE = 1.375 x BMR
    Moderate Exercise, Sports 3 to 5 Times Per Week: TDEE = 1.55 x BMR
    Heavy Exercise, Sports 6 to 7 Times Per Week: TDEE = 1.725 x BMR
    Very heavy exercise (e.g., physical job; training 2x/day): TDEE = 1.9 x BMR

I personally dont like these as to me theres a lot of room for variation eg how hard you actually work out etc.

If you are using TDEE you should have calories remaining otherwise you are going to maintain your current weight which is not your goal. How many yo have remaining will depend on how aggressive your weight loss goal is. Using TDEE you dont eat back exercise calories.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Your BMR has nothing to do with activity level. It's what your body burns in a coma, meaning no activity. If your calculator is asking for activity level for BMR, it's not a real BMR calculator. All BMR calculators ask for is gender, age, height and weight. It should not ask for activity at all
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    I feel like I can't meet the bmr and lose weight. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and I have snacks through out the day and looked up how to figure your own bmr without using the calculators and I got 1,631 using the formula below

Bmr=10 × weight (kg) + 6.25 ×height (cm) - 5× age (years) - 161
    Bmr=100 ×99.336729 + 6.25 × 155 - 5 ×34 - 161= 1,631

So how do I figure my tdee accurately without using apps
  • capaul42
    Options
    Don't. MFP gave you a number. Use that.
  • capaul42
    Options
    I feel like I can't meet the bmr and lose weight. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and I have snacks through out the day and looked up how to figure your own bmr without using the calculators and I got 1,631 using the formula below

Bmr=10 × weight (kg) + 6.25 ×height (cm) - 5× age (years) - 161
    Bmr=100 ×99.336729 + 6.25 × 155 - 5 ×34 - 161= 1,631

So how do I figure my tdee accurately without using apps

1631 sounds a lot more like a real BMR calculation. Mine is high 1400's and I'm 7 yrs older than you.

But don't worry about your BMR too much. Go with what MFP gave you.
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    So if I have calories remaining on mfp is that good or bad
  • capaul42
    Options
    Well, I usually only east back 50% of those, mfp is designed for you to eat back exercise calories. But don't worry over much if you're too full to eat back even half. Sometimes I don't either.
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    So if my goal is 1540 and I ate 1520 calories and burned off 876 calories and have 899 remaining how do I know I ate back the calories I burned during exercise
  • benevempress
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It is fine to have calories remaining from the MFP suggested number (which includes exercise) as long as you are eating at least your 1631 number and having enough energy to get through your day. You don't have to feel deprived and starving to lose weight. If you input your exercise on MFP each day it will add those calories to its base suggestion, giving you the maximum you can eat in a day to still lose weight since it already has a deficit built in (depending on how many pounds per week you told it you want to lose. 1-2 pounds per week is usually safe and sustainable). If you are eating that maximum number and not losing weight, you may have exercise calorie estimates that are too high and you can either input lower numbers or eat a smaller percentage of the exercise calories.

For now, you can either manually override MFP's starting number of 1540 for you to 1631 or you can just make sure to get at least 91 calories per day of exercise (and eat those calories) to make sure you eat at least your BMR number and lose weight at the approximate rate you selected.
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    I always thought the way to lose weight was to eat less exercise more I never knew anything about bmr, or tdee until now and I've tried so hard to figure it out on my own but failed. I know I've lost weight cause when I started I weighed 225 or so now I'm down to 219 I drink lots of water and since I'm a stay at home mom I wake everyone up make breakfast and eat then I work out and then do my housework then I eat lunch and workout then I get my kids from school cook supper and eat then workout and then right before bed I do resistance bands strength training like flutterkicks, kick backs, biceps and triceps normally during one day I may burn 800-1000 calories a day but as I said before I'm finding it very hard to eat over 1100 calories at most (except for today I ate 1520) and now I feel bloated and it hurts. Before this diet I would always eat but I wouldn't workout normally I was too tired to get out and do it now I exercise but only for 30 minutes at a time usually 3x a day for 6 days Sunday is my day of rest but I still watch what I eat always. And I know I shouldn't eat below my bmr which I stated before to be at 1631, so I know I have to eat at least 1631 to keep my body from starving mode and hoarding calories and the goal of 1540 that MFP has set for me is hard to reach so is it okay if I don't reach that in a day without going under my bmr and starving my body
  • capaul42
    Options
    Don't worry about going under your BMR. My BMR when I started was high 1600's. And mfp set me to 1200 a day. Your body doesn't need BMR to stay alive. It's just what it burns doing nothing (coma). And your BMR will change as you lose. Mine is in the 1400's now. I do suggest recalculated every so often, probably every 10-20lbs lost to make sure you're still in a deficit.