Weightlifting more than cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• nfr92xx
    nfr92xx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I'm currently in a deficit aiming to lose about 7-8lbs through which I'll be doing mainly weightlifting probably with minimal cardio other than quick warmups. All you need is a deficit to lose weight, lifting can really be helpful in regards to maintaining muscle mass so that most of the weight lost if fat. Definitely make sure to weigh and measure your food. It makes all the difference.

Thanks this is really helpful. It's just with the deficit say I'm on 1,300 calories per day burning over 1,300 seems a lot? How do you make sure you hit that?? Or do you just lower your calorie intake?? Because some people are like "if you don't eat enough then your body will start to eat muscle"? There are so many opinions and rules I'm not sure what the right ones are?? And with the weighing what weight of foods should I be aiming for?? (Sorry to fire all these questions at you)
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    KiwiLifter wrote: »
    I believe that when overweight by quite a bit, the focus should be on cardio oriented activities, but with an element of resistance in them. Workouts should be constructed to safely burn as many calories as possible, without overloading your cardiovascualr system. When the ratio of lean mass to fat starts to shift, more lifting should be implemented. Lifting is where it's at, but bring your cardio and your stability systems up to speed first.
    Could not put it better! That's what I did (lost just under 4 1/2 stone - around 60lb) now I'm steadily going over to weights to build lean muscle - I hope! :-)

• Pascooty
    Pascooty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I believe that when overweight by quite a bit, the focus should be on cardio oriented activities, but with an element of resistance in them. Workouts should be constructed to safely burn as many calories as possible, without overloading your cardiovascualr system. When the ratio of lean mass to fat starts to shift, more lifting should be implemented. Lifting is where it's at, but bring your cardio and your stability systems up to speed first.

I'm curious, how does one know when the ratio shifts? I'm about 100 lbs overweight at the moment and have mainly been doing cardio. I'd like to get into the muscle building and fitness along with the cardio at some point. I'm sure I have a long way to go before this "shift" happens though, lol.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    At the earliest possible opportunity, some form of resistance training is imho beneficial in keeping as much muscle as possible while you lose weight. You will lose fat and muscle in a deficit and it's easier to lose than to build it back. There is nothing wrong with cardio and for a lot of people it helps create their deficit while allowing them to eat what they want ( within reason ofc )

So , in essence , do both. Weights shouldn't be something to be afraid of, lifting heavy doesn't mean you're going to look like Arnie, it just means what is heavy for you right now. Cardio doesn't have to mean trying to build a sweat on a machine or running a marathon

Find what works best for you , but make sure you're weighing and logging your food and calculating calorie burns carefully or it will all be for nothing
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    nfr92xx wrote: »
    I'm currently in a deficit aiming to lose about 7-8lbs through which I'll be doing mainly weightlifting probably with minimal cardio other than quick warmups. All you need is a deficit to lose weight, lifting can really be helpful in regards to maintaining muscle mass so that most of the weight lost if fat. Definitely make sure to weigh and measure your food. It makes all the difference.

Thanks this is really helpful. It's just with the deficit say I'm on 1,300 calories per day burning over 1,300 seems a lot? How do you make sure you hit that?? Or do you just lower your calorie intake?? Because some people are like "if you don't eat enough then your body will start to eat muscle"? There are so many opinions and rules I'm not sure what the right ones are?? And with the weighing what weight of foods should I be aiming for?? (Sorry to fire all these questions at you)

Are you saying you're on a 1300 calorie deficit a day? Not eating 1300 but you're 1300 below maintenance? If so that's much much too high. I'm only on a 300 calorie deficit so that I can prevent saggy skin and strength/muscle losses.

Due to my work and a fairly decent metabolism I'm able to be in a deficit at around 3000 calories If everything calculates out right. I'll be eating at that for about 2-3 weeks taking note of my weight. If it's dropping too quickly I'll up my calories, if I'm not dropping at all then I'll lower my calories. The biggest thing for preserving lean mass is a slow steady deficit and making sure that you continue to lift progressively. Cutting is definitely not the time where you want to be slacking off when it comes to trying to get stronger. If you start getting significantly weaker it shows that you're losing muscle mass.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is one you will stick to. If you like lifting, then lift. Maybe throw in the occasional circuit training class or other cardio to mix things up. I am significantly overweight, weights is my primary workout (3x weekly), I throw in one spin class and one kettlebells class a week and I lose far more weight than I did eating with a larger deficit and doing cardio with the occasional weight lifting session.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    For weighing your foods, it doesn't really matter. Unless you're trying to hit a certain portion size. Say from a prepackaged product. I generally weigh my meats, yogurts, grains, then just add it in and go from there.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I started with both, but always mainly lifting. Eventually I dropped off the cardio all together. I hate cardio and like my physique better when I'm concentrating on lifting.

You look amazing!! What kind of lifting should I be doing?? I love heavy lifting anyway I love the challenge but my gym is a little limited. I do 4 sets of 15reps on the machines but the free weights section is quite limited so I do more work with kettle bells than bars. In my old gym I used to deadlift and it had a lot more equipment so maybe going back there might be best to get the results I want?.. What's your usual kind of routine??

I have run strength programs such as Wendlers 5/3/1 and Strong Lifts 5x5, and a program called PHUL which is better in maintenance. I did this when I was overweight. My results are from lifting heavy in a deficit. Period. Don't let anyone tell you you have to wait to start strength training. Do a program like strong lifts
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

What kind of activities would you recommend? I don't feel as though I'm that inventive with my cardio and seem to do the same thing. My usual is 5k on a stationary bike at level 5 aim to do it in 13mins then 30-40mins on a cross trainer then onto the weights if I'm in the gym. Outside the gym is a walk up the mountain by my house.

I was overweight when I started lifting 3 years ago.

I was eating 1600 calories a day regardless of workout...TDEE-20%.

I continued to lose weight and upped my strength significantly. When I was still lifting for strength my PR's were

240lb DL, 135x3 BP, 100lb OHP and a 205lb squat...that was all at 145lbs.

I was a smoker so cardio was not in the cards really. I did some walking maybe some biking but other than that...I just lifted.

No cardio required unless you want to do it.

ETA:similar to @arditarose I have done SL 5x5, SL 3x5 (summer) Wendler 5/3/1 and now maintaining what I have and increasing endurance with increased reps at 65-75% of my max.

Don't wait.
  • nfr92xx
    Options

Are you saying you're on a 1300 calorie deficit a day? Not eating 1300 but you're 1300 below maintenance? If so that's much much too high. I'm only on a 300 calorie deficit so that I can prevent saggy skin and strength/muscle losses.

Due to my work and a fairly decent metabolism I'm able to be in a deficit at around 3000 calories If everything calculates out right. I'll be eating at that for about 2-3 weeks taking note of my weight. If it's dropping too quickly I'll up my calories, if I'm not dropping at all then I'll lower my calories. The biggest thing for preserving lean mass is a slow steady deficit and making sure that you continue to lift progressively. Cutting is definitely not the time where you want to be slacking off when it comes to trying to get stronger. If you start getting significantly weaker it shows that you're losing muscle mass.

Well MFP is set to 1300 calories and if I eat less than that it says I'm not eating enough??
    What exactly does deficit mean? I get the basics is burning more calories than you eat but I don't really understand what you mean? Like with your 300calories are you only eating 300 calories a day?? Sorry I don't mean to seem dull but I want to understand it completely before I do it! Thank you for taking the time to answer me :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I think you need to read more.

When overweight by quite a bit there is a strong chance of gaining some muscle when lifting...albeit short lived gains it is still well worth it.
  • kellylseguin
    kellylseguin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm trying to build muscle. I eat lots and workout 4 days a week. 3 days are heavy lifting circuit training and the 4th day is abs with about 20 mins of intense cardio. I am losing inches, seeing muscle build and losing a tiny bit of weight. In my opinion, lifting weights is more important than cardio. I also prefer lifting over cardio and it seems to be working for me. :)

That's amazing :) thank you! Do you find you don't have as much loose skin from lifting and that everything's a lot tighter??

Absolutely! My mid section was my problem section. Before I started lifting I had lost weight but still had loose skin / flabby middle. Nothing was helping. Diet and cardio alone weren't doing the trick so I started really pushing hard with weights. I do heavy lifting bootcamps so I still get a bit of cardio without spending hours on treadmills. My mid section is shrinking!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I lost weight (fat) because of deficit but did mostly weight training. I walk for cardio, too.

How many calories roughly were you eating when you were loosing weight? And what's the best way to ensure you do burn more than you eat?

I'm on a 2,000 calorie diet, and am in a deficit every day. I'm steady at about 1 lb. per week loss. I train five days a week. The sessions with my trainer are normally thirty minutes, one day a week. The other four days they are at least an hour.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Pascooty wrote: »

I'm curious, how does one know when the ratio shifts? I'm about 100 lbs overweight at the moment and have mainly been doing cardio. I'd like to get into the muscle building and fitness along with the cardio at some point. I'm sure I have a long way to go before this "shift" happens though, lol.

He's talking nonsense.

Resistance training of some kind has benefit.
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit #1
    i love cardio, its what helped me bring my blood pressure down. pushed me away from almost having diabetes. it also made me feel better and helped me shed 150 pounds. i did no weightlifting at all. i still dont. like i said cardio and calorie deficit. im allowed up to almost 3,000 calories of those i use like 1700 daily sometimes less. building that muscle mass will prolly tone me up tho but thats not important to me as it is to some. i know some that can lift 350 pounds but cant run half a mile. i know some that can run 7 miles but not lift a 50 pound dumbell. u can do one or the other or both up to you :)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and get in the habit of doing both. Strength training will ensure thst you are firm and shapely when you lose the extra weight, and cardio will help ensure that your heart keeps beating though strenuous exercise and life stress.

I do do both :) I was just wondering if by plateauing it would be okay to just do mainly weights in the gym? I walk a lot outside the gym as where I live is in the country and has some lovely trails!

If you're plateauing then you're eating more than you think, overestimating your calorie burn, or very likely you lost enough weight to need to reset (lower) your calories goal. I find cardio helps me lose because I stay satisfied with my food intake (because it's higher than if I didn't do cardio). If you're getting substantial cardio activity outside of the gym then yes I'd probably spend more of your time in the gym lifting. Exercise also keeps some of us away from the TV and other things that make us snack. Use the combination that works for you. Again, cardio for heart health (and extra calorie burn), strength training for muscle retention/gain/body comp, and primarily diet for a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Deficit is the number of calories under TDEE. TDEE is the total number of calories you burn in a day, including exercise and just body functioning.
    So a 300 cal deficit is TDEE minus 300 calories. When you set your MFP profile to lose a certain amount per week the calorie deficit is built in. You should eat what your calorie goal is, not less. The deficit has already been factored in.
  • nfr92xx
    Options
    Deficit is the number of calories under TDEE. TDEE is the total number of calories you burn in a day, including exercise and just body functioning.
    So a 300 cal deficit is TDEE minus 300 calories. When you set your MFP profile to lose a certain amount per week the calorie deficit is built in. You should eat what your calorie goal is, not less. The deficit has already been factored in.

Thank you so much, that broke it down perfectly! So 1,300 is my MFP calorie goal so that's a reasonable amount? I find it manageable for decent filling meals as well as my exercise!
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Thank you so much, that broke it down perfectly! So 1,300 is my MFP calorie goal so that's a reasonable amount? I find it manageable for decent filling meals as well as my exercise!

1300 is the amount of calories that you should consume each day PLUS any which you have burnt through extra exercise. For example, if you burn 300 calories from running, you should eat 1600 calories that day (but be careful to measure and log everything so you know you're not accidentally having more than this) so that you end up with a 'net' figure of 1300 calories. As a previous poster mentioned, this 1300 calories already takes account of the deficit so should result in you losing weight at a steady, sustainable rate :)

Some people suggest that you don't 'eat back' all of your extra exercise calories (e.g. eating an additional 150 instead of 300) but this goes against the way that MFP works in my opinion!