Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Obesity Paradox: Health benefits to being overweight?

2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2016
    As one article pointed out there are factors we just do not know about yet perhaps.
  • unawind
    unawind Posts: 46 Member
    Firstly, there is a difference in overweight and obese. It's pretty easy to be a few lbs overweight and remain healthy if you exercise regularly.

I bet dollars to donuts every person with a squat booty at my gym is in the overweight BMI category. They look trim but technically tip the scales.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    edited April 2016
    i'm betting the "overweight" category they're referring to is people 5 or 10 lbs over normal weight parameters, not 50+. I'm betting too, those people work on fitness and good nutrition. I could see a person on the heavier end of normal, or plus a few lbs, who exercises, possibly having health benefits. I also bet the term "obesity paradox" is an attention-getter, and they really do mean "overweight by a few lbs, but otherwise healthy and active".
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Things to remember:

A max BMI of 27 used to be considered in the healthy weight range - it was lowered to 25 in the 90s.

The chart was used by insurance companies to divide up their policy holders and charge appropriately.

Using population statistics is different from an individual. Keys - the guy who wrote a paper on using BMI for population studies - never wanted it to be used for individuals.

When an overweight or obese person comes into a doctor's office with high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart problems - they're told to change their lifestyle (obvious first line of attack) - easy identified cause. When a thin/healthy person is in the same situation - and diet isn't the (obvious) cause, then it falls to genetics - maybe not so much can be done.

Muscle mass. Muscles are good for you. Thin people tend to have less muscle.

Fat can protect you during bad diseases. If you've got an illness (I'm thinking pneumonia)... having a bit of energy stored up can help you survive.

Isn't there a movement to use waist measurements instead of BMI? I thought they were supposed to be more accurate at predicting longevity (for population and individuals).
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Vetticus_3 wrote: »
    Things to remember:

A max BMI of 27 used to be considered in the healthy weight range - it was lowered to 25 in the 90s.

The chart was used by insurance companies to divide up their policy holders and charge appropriately.

Using population statistics is different from an individual. Keys - the guy who wrote a paper on using BMI for population studies - never wanted it to be used for individuals.

When an overweight or obese person comes into a doctor's office with high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart problems - they're told to change their lifestyle (obvious first line of attack) - easy identified cause. When a thin/healthy person is in the same situation - and diet isn't the (obvious) cause, then it falls to genetics - maybe not so much can be done.

Fat can protect you during bad diseases. If you've got an illness (I'm thinking pneumonia)... having a bit of energy stored up can help you survive.

Isn't there a movement to use waist measurements instead of BMI? I thought they were supposed to be more accurate at predicting longevity (for population and individuals).

Exactly !!!!!!!!! The BMI chart does not account for age. At almost 60 it is impossible and not healthy to weigh what I did at 21. My weight lifter son by the BMI chart is overweight but he is strong and fit!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    Things to remember:

Exactly !!!!!!!!! The BMI chart does not account for age. At almost 60 it is impossible and not healthy to weigh what I did at 21. My weight lifter son by the BMI chart is overweight but he is strong and fit!

It does, actually. There's an official sliding scale of BMI underweight/normal/overweight/obese thresholds adjusted for age. See cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Yes, I tried to make this fact known here on mfp a couple of years ago and got totally blastd for it.

Also, I would rather be in the oveweight category than the low normal category if an ebola pandemic took place! :o
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    My hair game was tight when I was fat. I had long, shiny, luscious locks and my nails grew fast and my skin was glowy. That was the only benefit I saw/felt.
  • GaleHawkins
    Alluminati wrote: »
    My hair game was tight when I was fat. I had long, shiny, luscious locks and my nails grew fast and my skin was glowy. That was the only benefit I saw/felt.

Are you saying this is not the case eating your current macro?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Alluminati wrote: »

Are you saying this is not the case eating your current macro?

no. that's not what i'm saying.
  • GaleHawkins
    Glad your current macro did not take away those benefits.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    When macros attack.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    Things to remember:

It does, actually. There's an official sliding scale of BMI underweight/normal/overweight/obese thresholds adjusted for age. See cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html[/quote

It is for adults over 20 not really adjusted for "older" adults. There is a different scale for kids.