Stretching

Options
What exercises and stretches do you normally do before working out? I haven't done any in the past and thinking about starting.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have a 45 min stretching routine that I've been doing before swimming for 20 yrs due to OA. I started yoga last year and have added some of that in. It limbers me up so that I can quickly get to work in the pool or gym. I started out with a book and modified as I went along. You have to tailor stretching to your needs and problem spots (think back trouble, cramping, shoulder mobility, etc). In my opinion, there is not a "one size fits all" program. I'd you-tube and see what works, but I agree that stretching makes a difference.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    All joints warm up and generic upper / lower body stretching pre.
    Deep stretching of the body part(s) that I trained post.
    Overall between pre and post - 40 minutes ish.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Before lifting I do a short mobility circuit, including prone and supine scorpions, some somersaults and some other things i don't know the name of. It takes about 5 minutes and just gets me warm and loose.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    With the exception of the right axis of my lower cross (hip flexors and hamstrings), as well as my arch, I don't stretch. Being hypermobile means that when I stretch, I have to follow up with stabilization work. Worth it to maintain the balance I've finally achieved in my lower body and to be able to arch the way I do, not worth it anywhere else.

I do a fair amount of mobility work before I lift though. Shoulder mobility before I bench or squat, glute activation before squats and deads, and just generally making sure everything feels loose and ready.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I do yoga, and stretch after running or any working out, not before. What are you trying to accomplish with the stretching? More range of movement, or just healthier joints and muscles? I don't think cold stretching before working out is helpful, as others have noted active mobility work is better, warm up in a way that moves you in different directions, arm circles and spine bending and kicks and things. But to increase your range of movement, passive stretching after working out, when you are all warm, is so very effective.

Specifically:
    Forward folds, pyramid pose, down dog fixed my tight hamstrings, "couch stretch" and half-hero are helping my tight quads and hip flexors, I do the regular stretches for calves, they are still tight though, and my upper body has good range of motion naturally, and gets stretched enough in yoga.