Porridge problems

Options
Scamd83
Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
I can't be the only one who really likes porridge/oatmeal but experiences a rise in hunger levels and a drop in energy levels/rise in fatigue after eating a bowl? Before anyone says add some fat, I do, peanut butter. Might be a carbs before exercise thing, might just be oats, but obvious solution seems to be to cut that out. Used to be my favourite meal for breakfast, I might go and weep for a bit.

Replies

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one. I love porridge but if I eat it for breakfast I'm ravenously hungry again within an hour. I've tried adding nuts, peanut butter, seeds, and yoghurt to it to up the protein but it doesn't make it any more filling.
    I don't know if it's a carbs thing because if I eat toast for breakfast I stay full for much longer.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I do a smoothie for breakfast which keeps me satisfied for a few hours, then I have steel cut oats for a mid morning meal. I don't know what kind of oatmeal you are using but the steel cut oats fill me up.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Porridge actually fills me up quite nicely and gives me energy - one of my go-to breakfasts before a cycle ride in fact.
    Wonder if the fatigue is dehydration? Taking carbs onboard after a period of going low carb does demand more water to store away glycogen.
    I had a monster bowl of oats before a long ride with too little fluid and was horribly sluggish and thirsty until I rehydrated.
  • Scamd83
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Porridge actually fills me up quite nicely and gives me energy - one of my go-to breakfasts before a cycle ride in fact.
    Wonder if the fatigue is dehydration? Taking carbs onboard after a period of going low carb does demand more water to store away glycogen.
    I had a monster bowl of oats before a long ride with too little fluid and was horribly sluggish and thirsty until I rehydrated.

I binge drink water.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    What kind of oats? Steel cut oats are more filling to me than quick oats. And just a few nuts don't cut it for me, I need at least one serving of nut butter, and preferably some protein powder in there too.

I can't do oatmeal before an intense workout though... learned from experience. Ugh.
  • Scamd83
    Options
    Just ordinary, regular plain old oats from a 1kg bag bought from a store. Not the flavoured ones out of a small sachet before someone warns me of the dangers of sugar.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I work out fasted ridiculously early in the morning and I really like to have protein oats as a post-workout meal. I don't notice a drop in energy at all - I feel the same after eating oatmeal as I do after eating any other meal. I don't find that I'm any hungrier than usual either. I mean, I could always eat, but it holds me over until my second breakfast about three hours later.

I do add both egg whites (for volume and protein) and protein powder (for protein and flavor/sweetness), and usually peanut butter or chocolate chips or something on top. That may have something to do with it. If I can't have a full bowl of oatmeal, I'd rather not have it at all. I'm all about volume.