Leaner lasagna recipe?

Replies

• AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Hmmm....I never use a recipe for lasagna. I just throw stuff together, layer, bake, eat.

I have substituted zucchini and yellow squash for the pasta. Very good. I also make a killer vegetarian lasagna, that even picky meat eaters enjoy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

@Francl27
    Definitely be sure to come back and share what you end up making and how you like it and of course the source! :D

Ended up using this

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/218091/classic-and-simple-meat-lasagna/?internalSource=hn_carousel 01_Classic and Simple Meat Lasagna&referringId=16806&referringContentType=recipe hub&referringPosition=carousel 01

But doubled the meat (used 90% beef) and used 32oz of full fat ricotta and changed the quantities of cheese a bit. I used some garlic and onion pasta sauce. Could only fit 9 lasagna noodles too.

It's tasty. 4500 calories for the whole pan though LOL.

Thanks for the help everyone.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    I love this recipe. If making for kids, omit or reduce red pepper

Creamy spinach lasagna
    Cooking light
    8 servings

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 1/4 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
    3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce, divided
    Cooking spray
    12 cooked whole wheat lasagna noodles, divided
    1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
    Parsley sprigs (optional)
    Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 10 minutes or until onion is browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and spinach. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 3 minutes or until spinach is tender. Set aside.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, milk, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add 2 cups milk mixture to spinach mixture. Cover remaining milk mixture, and set aside.

Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce; top with half of spinach mixture. Top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1 cup marinara sauce, and 3/4 cup cheese. Layer 3 more lasagna noodles, remaining spinach mixture, and remaining 3 lasagna noodles. Top with remaining marinara sauce. Pour reserved milk mixture over the top, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until lasagna is browned on top. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.

Nutritional Information

Calories 328
    Caloriesfromfat 25 %
    Fat 9.3 g
    Satfat 3.8 g
    Monofat 3.6 g
    Polyfat 1.2 g
    Protein 17.3 g
    Carbohydrate 45.6 g
    Fiber 6.9 g
    Cholesterol 19 mg
    Iron 3.1 mg
    Sodium 726 mg
    Calcium 371 mg
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    We don't put meat in lasagna. It doesn't add nearly enough flavor to be worth using, I tend to save meat for things where it makes a big difference.

If for some reason I wanted to sort of de-fat it, I'd alternate layers of zuchhini ribbons with layers of pasta (would salt and squeeze it to get some of the moisture out) and use a sauce that was mostly crushed tomatoes, or slices of tomato instead of sauce maybe, but wouldn't mess with the ricotta or with the mozarella on top, that's what makes it lasagna to us.

4500 kcal for a pan doesn't sound too bad! That's like ten servings, right?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Ive been making one with ground beef and Italian sausage and it uses cottage cheese! I actually love it cause it's cheaper and spreads better than ricotta. Trying to spread the ricotta mixture over wet noodles was the worst part about making lasagna! I always ran out after the second layer cause I couldn't spread it thin enough. lol
  • Francl27
    edited April 2016
    robininfl wrote: »
    We don't put meat in lasagna. It doesn't add nearly enough flavor to be worth using, I tend to save meat for things where it makes a big difference.

If for some reason I wanted to sort of de-fat it, I'd alternate layers of zuchhini ribbons with layers of pasta (would salt and squeeze it to get some of the moisture out) and use a sauce that was mostly crushed tomatoes, or slices of tomato instead of sauce maybe, but wouldn't mess with the ricotta or with the mozarella on top, that's what makes it lasagna to us.

4500 kcal for a pan doesn't sound too bad! That's like ten servings, right?

It's a 9x13 pan. I had 715 calories worth and it was a pretty big portion. I like meat in it... I find that it does add flavor (and protein - my piece had 58g of protein!). I find cheese lasagna too bland typically.

I've done it with eggplant and it was very tasty, but not something the kids would eat. I'll probably still make some again soon though.
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Ive been making one with ground beef and Italian sausage and it uses cottage cheese! I actually love it cause it's cheaper and spreads better than ricotta. Trying to spread the ricotta mixture over wet noodles was the worst part about making lasagna! I always ran out after the second layer cause I couldn't spread it thin enough. lol

Mine put a layer of sauce first, then the ricotta. I ended up with two layers (plus the top layer). Honestly in the end it kinda turns into a saucy mess anyway once I cut pieces out.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    i use this spice blend in the link below for sausage seasoning. i also use ground beef in lasagna. but i like the taste of sausage lasagna. ricotta has a better texture than cottage cheese.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-sausage-seasoning-blend-102718
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    This is one of my familys fav dishes. You can cook the meat & veggies ahead,then use later in the day or frozen.I add more mushrooms instead of olives. No need to layer,just mix together then bake.Leave it sit 15 mins before serving.Very yummy & even better the next day.

Taste of Home
    Baked Spaghetti. TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.YIELD:12 servings
    Ingredients
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped green pepper
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
    1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 pound ground beef, browned and drained, optional
    12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
    2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
    1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Directions
    1. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, oregano and, if desired, ground beef. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
    2. Place half of the spaghetti in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the vegetable mixture and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
    3. In a small bowl, combine soup and water until smooth; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
    Nutritional Facts
    1 serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    i use ricotta , romano and an egg mixed together between the layers and 2% mozz on top. Garlic and cheese sausage and ground beef. Ton of veggies my husband diligently picks out. I dont make it very often it comes out to about 950 calories per piece. /cry.
  • enne665
    enne665 Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2016
    I just made this recipe tonight, and my husband and I both loved it! Will definately make it again...zucchini was a great substitute for the pasta and in my opinion enhanced the flavor. It contains both beef and ricotta. Enjoy!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/zucchini-lasagna/
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

@Francl27
    Definitely be sure to come back and share what you end up making and how you like it and of course the source! :D

Ended up using this

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/218091/classic-and-simple-meat-lasagna/?internalSource=hn_carousel 01_Classic and Simple Meat Lasagna&referringId=16806&referringContentType=recipe hub&referringPosition=carousel 01

But doubled the meat (used 90% beef) and used 32oz of full fat ricotta and changed the quantities of cheese a bit. I used some garlic and onion pasta sauce. Could only fit 9 lasagna noodles too.

It's tasty. 4500 calories for the whole pan though LOL.

Thanks for the help everyone.

@Francl27 Sounds like a great pick, thanks for sharing your final choice!
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    edited April 2016
    Traditional lasagna is really not bad on calories if you eat a regular size serving. Eat it with salad and don't go back for seconds.

My recipe:
    1 box lasagna noodles
    1 pound cooked ground beef

Cheese filling:
    32 oz part skim ricotta
    2 cups mozzarella
    1 egg
    1 tbsp dried parsley
    1 tbsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tbsp garlic powder

Roughly 50 oz of jarred sauce, I like prego chunky garden

You can add any veggies really, I like zucchini, roasted eggplant, yellow squash, mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots

In a 13x9 layer sauce, then noodles, then veggies, then cheese mixture, then meat, then sauce, then noodles, then veggies, the cheese mixture, then meat, then noodles sauce, then sprinkle the top with 1-2 cups mozzarella.

Bake for 1 hour at 375, maybe need to cover with foil if you see the mozzarella on top getting too brown.

A lasagna this size should have at least 16 servings. Service with a nice low calorie salad to keep you from going for seconds
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    smit7633 wrote: »
    Traditional lasagna is really not bad on calories if you eat a regular size serving. Eat it with salad and don't go back for seconds.

My recipe:
    1 box lasagna noodles

Cheese filling:
    32 oz part skim ricotta
    2 cups mozzarella
    1 egg
    1 tbsp dried parsley
    1 tbsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tbsp garlic powder

You can add any veggies really, I like zucchini, roasted eggplant, yellow squash, mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots

In a 13x9 layer sauce, then noodles, then veggies, then cheese mixture, then meat, then sauce, then noodles, then veggies, the cheese mixture, then meat, then noodles sauce, then sprinkle the top with 1-2 cups mozzarella.

Bake for 1 hour at 375, maybe need to cover with foil if you see the mozzarella on top getting too brown.

A lasagna this size should have at least 16 servings. Service with a nice low calorie salad to keep you from going for seconds

I like the sound of this... mmm and all the veggies sound delish!
    :D Isn't that the truth! I find if making something like this unless you live in house of many...enjoying the meal first and then dividing the remainder into containers for lunch for the week or freeze in individual containers really helps.

Definitely going to try your recipe and going to add more veggies like you suggest...that's what really appeals to me about yours!:)

Love the sharing and tips on this thread!
  • Francl27

I never take seconds of dinner. I just weigh my portion and eat that. Something I've learned from MFP, lol.
    smit7633 wrote: »

My recipe:
    1 box lasagna noodles

Cheese filling:
    32 oz part skim ricotta
    2 cups mozzarella
    1 egg
    1 tbsp dried parsley
    1 tbsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tbsp garlic powder

Seems similar to what I did, except I added some parmesan in the ricotta mix and put more beef (and it still was barely enough). And didn't add extra seasoning as the sauce had plenty. And yeah it would be tasty with more veggies but I'm not sure how it would fit in the pan, mine was bursting and I made a mess when I cut it as it was, lol.

Weird though how my recipe called for 30 minutes at 350 for baking.
  • buckfumbler
    buckfumbler Posts: 1 Member
    Really you should just replace the lasagna noodles with lunch meat and then find a tomato sauce with no added sugar (most often pizza sauce is lowest in sugar) and you don't need to worry about anything else
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Really you should just replace the lasagna noodles with lunch meat and then find a tomato sauce with no added sugar (most often pizza sauce is lowest in sugar) and you don't need to worry about anything else

Why have you bumped a zombie thread?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Why have you bumped a zombie thread?

I think you're ignoring the much more pressing question: why on earth would anyone replace noodles with LUNCH MEAT? *shudders*

Yeah, that was too horrifying to consider...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I realize this is a zombie thread, but since we're talking lasagna, I recently made Spinach-Ricotta Calzones and the filling was divine! Was thinking of using that filling mixture in a lasagna with actual wheat pasta, probably a half pound of ground beef and a half pound of sausage, and spaghetti sauce - I like Newman's Sockarooni.