Dumb question on measuring

Options
Okay, this is probably a dumb question but one that I don't know the answer. How do I measure oatmeal? I normally measure 1/4 cup of dry with 1/2 cup of water but after cooking it makes 1/2 cup of cooked oatmeal. So do I log as 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Weigh and log oatmeal dry, since cooking the oatmeal in water doesn't change the calories. Same with rice, grains and pasta.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you don't have a food scale (which is the recommended way of measuring) log the 1/4 cup. It's supposed to be dry/uncooked.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log oatmeal dry, since cooking the oatmeal in water doesn't change the calories. Same with rice, grains and pasta.

Agreed.
    Also, Cerise_noir, you have THE BEST photo.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I agree with doing it dry. Then anything you add (other than the water) I would be sure to measure and log that of course.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Dry (the serving size for oatmeal is 40 g/ roughly 0.5 cup dry)

Same goes for noodles, rice, etc. Water doesn't add calories, but it does change the weight depending on how much is absorbed.
  • forthemovies
    forthemovies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Log as ¼ cup dry. Recommend weighing, as there's a tendency to mound a scoop and still call it a ¼ cup. My measuring cups were off even when levelled and the portion by weight ended up well below the rim.