Egg?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I vastly prefer whole eggs, and don't see the point (for me) of just eating the whites. On the other hand, if you need lots of protein for few calories, that's what the whites will give you. (I prefer to increase protein by having some smoked salmon or low fat cottage cheese or greek yogurt with breakfast, and sticking to my 2 whole eggs for my vegetable omelet.)
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I like egg whites when I make muffin quiches because I'll have plenty of stuff in it to make up for the flavor. Otherwise it's full egg. Calorie and nutrition difference for sure, so use what works best for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    sexymom04 wrote: »
    What is better, whole egg or egg white?

"better" is subjective...I eat both. I eat 4 egg white omelettes (from carton) most mornings as part of my breakfast because I can get in about 20 grams of protein for about 100 calories whereas it would cost me about 300 calories with whole eggs.

I usually have a boiled egg as a snack at some point during the day...and on weekends I usually make fried eggs...so whole eggs on weekends.

Egg yolks are nothing to be feared and pack some good nutrition.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    but is there a difference nutrition wise?

yes, of course there is...but you have to look at your diet as a whole and see how everything works together...you shouldn't look at individual food choices in a vacuum.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm pro whole egg.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    good to know thanks, I had a breakfast burrito this morning with one whole egg and 2 egg whites

That sounds delicious and nutritious.
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Well, whole eggs are highly nutritious and a great source of protein. But eggs contain about 186 mg cholestrol on average and recommendations are for 300 mg or less per day if healthy, but if dealing with other disease such as diabetes or heart disease keep it below 200. So depends on if you have the buffer.

Mayo Clinic reference here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/cholesterol/expert-answers/faq-20058468
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Well, whole eggs are highly nutritious and a great source of protein. But eggs contain about 186 mg cholestrol on average and recommendations are for 300 mg or less per day if healthy, but if dealing with other disease such as diabetes or heart disease keep it below 200. So depends on if you have the buffer.

Mayo Clinic reference here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/cholesterol/expert-answers/faq-20058468

most physicians do not go by those standards. It has been found that eggs do not raise your cholesterol. At 70 calories per egg is it is an economical form of protein both in calories and in $$
  • PiperGirl08
    Options
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »

most physicians do not go by those standards. It has been found that eggs do not raise your cholesterol. At 70 calories per egg is it is an economical form of protein both in calories and in $$

Actually, the referenced article speaks to the generally held impact (or lack thereof) of eggs in terms of elevating cholesterol. Nevertheless, guidelines do exist around cholestrol as they do around other compounds and nutrients.

Those who are concerned with their nutritional profiles consider all factors and the impact, thereof, and eat in balance. For those whose primary consideration are protein, calories and cost, however, I'm certain that eggs at-will make for a great choice.

Personally, my considerations are somewhat more complex. So I value complete information, and the consequent ability to make informed decisions. With the ever present end goal being to eat in a nutritionally balanced way. I, therefore, limit my total cholesterol to under 300, every day, from all food sources, regardless or price or calories.

BTW, a reference from a respected source on par with the Mayo clinic for the "most doctors do not go by those standards" would help to advance the conversation far more so than uncited anecdotal beliefs or perceptions.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Actually, the referenced article speaks to the generally held impact (or lack thereof) of eggs in terms of elevating cholesterol. Nevertheless, guidelines do exist around cholestrol as they do around other compounds and nutrients.

Those who are concerned with their nutritional profiles consider all factors and the impact, thereof, and eat in balance. For those whose primary consideration are protein, calories and cost, however, I'm certain that eggs at-will make for a great choice.

Personally, my considerations are somewhat more complex. So I value complete information, and the consequent ability to make informed decisions. With the ever present end goal being to eat in a nutritionally balanced way. I, therefore, limit my total cholesterol to under 300, every day, from all food sources, regardless or price or calories.

BTW, a reference from a respected source on par with the Mayo clinic for the "most doctors do not go by those standards" would help to advance the conversation far more so than uncited anecdotal beliefs or perceptions.

I do not feel the need to find a source, as I have worked with doctors for more years than I care to admit and some of those years was in medical education. I know current standards don't have to prove it.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options

The referenced article is 1.5yrs old, the references from the mayo clinic article are from 2014 and earlier. Since that time the new US Dietary guidelines have been released:

http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/06-chapter-1/d1-2.asp

From those guidelines:

Cholesterol. Previously, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommended that cholesterol intake be limited to no more than 300 mg/day. The 2015 DGAC will not bring forward this recommendation because available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol, consistent with the conclusions of the AHA/ACC report.2 35 Cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern for overconsumption.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I like egg whites for the volume. I prefer to split up my macros and get my fat elsewhere. Like avocados or bacon.
  • PiperGirl08
    Options

I do not feel the need to find a source, as I have worked with doctors for more years than I care to admit and some of those years was in medical education. I know current standards don't have to prove it.

It is really not a matter of proving it, but of posting information that people can rely on since you chose to contribute to this thread. Certainly you can appreciate that no one on this thread has cause to view you personally (nor anyone else on this thread) as an expert in the field and that anecdotal statements such as, "most doctors" are an automatic red flag since you have unlikely spoken with or read commentary by "most doctors." In fact, it is a logical fallacy.

Now, something like "most of the doctors with whom I have interacted" would be somewhat more credible, if one were then to assume that you had discussed this very topic with most of them...also unlikely.

Also, I believe it would bear out that individuals in the medical profession (actual medical degree holders) generally understand the importance of providing (and utilizing) references, as do all professionals. To such individuals, mine is not an unreasonable ask.
  • PiperGirl08
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »

The referenced article is 1.5yrs old, the references from the mayo clinic article are from 2014 and earlier. Since that time the new US Dietary guidelines have been released:

http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/06-chapter-1/d1-2.asp

From those guidelines:

Cholesterol. Previously, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommended that cholesterol intake be limited to no more than 300 mg/day. The 2015 DGAC will not bring forward this recommendation because available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol, consistent with the conclusions of the AHA/ACC report.2 35 Cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern for overconsumption.

Excellent information from a reliable source and one that definitely furthers the conversation. Thank you, John.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a whole egg with 3-4 egg whites, scrambled with a 1/2 oz of low fat cheddar. Yum
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    ASH_DVM wrote: »
    Whole egg. Egg white has no flavor. All the flavor is in the yolk.

False. I find them very tasty. Lots of people only eat egg whites.

I only eat egg whites. I will occasionally eat a whole egg but very rarely because it has more calories and I prefer to save the calories for other foods I eat for the day. I (like many others) eat only egg whites. They are great with some peppers and onions sauteed on the side or with salsa. You can fix them in so many ways.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    What is better, whole egg or egg white?

Better for what? I usually eat the whole egg because I don't like to waste the yolk, but I do love an egg white frittata now and then. Eat what you like.
  • JButlerEagle
    JButlerEagle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs -- the chickens in my backyard would feel insulate if I only ate half their "girts" to me. I figure it's one of things where nature knows what it is doing. So do people that use a lot of egg whites buy them separately or do you throw out the yolk? Just curious...