How many days in advance can you prelog your food/ exercise?

Options
I wasn't sure what forum to log this in, but it seemed to fit here the most.

Anyway, this is going to sound silly. But how many days in advance can you log your food and exercise on here?

This is not ideal at all, I know... Pre-logging so early that is... And definitely nothing to be making a habit of, but in this situation, I think it would be smart.

I will be camping in a couple of weeks for 4 days and rarely have service in this camping location. And it's hard to keep the phone charged when camping. My band is playing at a music festival and I will be doing lots of hiking and playing music. Calorie burns like no other.

Anyway, like I say, this is just in case I am unable to log it with no Wi-Fi out in the woods. I've done this before and logged the day before, but never 4 days in advance.

Of course I'm going to try and log, but I want to put it in there just in case so that I don't lose my streak on here. I'm on my longest streak ever! Thanks.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can log food indefinitely into the future, but it will not keep your streak - you have to log in. But, you can reset your streak. It won't be "cheating" if you are accountable the whole time ;)
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think that pre-logging early is not something you should make a habit of. I've been on MFP 14 months, lost 65+ pounds, and I almost always pre-log the next day's food, and then make changes on the day if I decide to eat more/less or something different. The pre-logging helps me make sure to get enough fiber and protein, which otherwise I do not. Last night I pre-logged through Friday to help me decide if I needed to cook again between now and then or if I could just eat off the leftovers in the refrigerator between now and then. :) It works for me.

For your specific situation where you will be out of Wi-fi range, if you know approximately what you'll be eating, it sounds like a reasonable plan and may help you stay on track food wise rather than just eating whatever while you are out of touch.
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You can log food indefinitely into the future, but it will not keep your streak - you have to log in. But, you can reset your streak. It won't be "cheating" if you are accountable the whole time ;)

Well maybe fi I can pre-log and just find Wi-Fi somewhere to log in hopefully briefly to keep it from resetting... I'm definitely going to try! By reset your streak do you mean so it leaves off where you last logged? Thank you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Maybe I used "reset" wrong here. Sometimes the counter resets for no good reason, I mean - it starts from 0. Whenever that happens, you can set the login counter to show the number of days you have been logged on. It should be okay to do that even if you haven't been logged on, as long as you would have logged on, if you could:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/login_counter_reset_request

(After all there's no legal anything here, it's just for motivation.)
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    Maybe I used "reset" wrong here. Sometimes the counter resets for no good reason, I mean - it starts from 0. Whenever that happens, you can set the login counter to show the number of days you have been logged on. It should be okay to do that even if you haven't been logged on, as long as you would have logged on, if you could:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/login_counter_reset_request

(After all there's no legal anything here, it's just for motivation.)

Thank you so much! Have a good one!!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    And it's hard to keep the phone charged when camping.

Actually, it's not. :)

A few years ago I hiked from the Cascade Pass trailhead to Stehekin; it took me three days. At the end of the hike I had 100 miles to go to get back to my car. A good friend agreed to meet me and drive me back. Had to keep my phone charged to find her. Also, I use a GPS watch, it's great for hiking but it's power hungry. The battery will last long enough for an overnight backpack, but I like spending more time in the mountains than that. Which means I have to be able to charge my watch in the wilderness.

This costs $10 and weighs 2.6 ounces. It will charge my watch 8+ times, or my phone 1.5 times. I charge it before I leave, keep it in my backpack, and charge stuff overnight in my tent while I sleep. Highly recommended.

That won't solve your connectivity problems, but it'll let you use your phone if you want to. I have the Google Sky Map on mine, I can't see many stars from the city so when I get out into the wilderness it's a treat.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I think pre-logging is great. You can go back and adjust (add or delete foods, change quantities) as needed after the fact.

I'm sure you have already thought of it, but turn your phone off or put it in airplane mode when you have poor signal. That will really help preserve the battery for when you may actually need/want it and have service.

Have fun!
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    And it's hard to keep the phone charged when camping.

Actually, it's not. :)

A few years ago I hiked from the Cascade Pass trailhead to Stehekin; it took me three days. At the end of the hike I had 100 miles to go to get back to my car. A good friend agreed to meet me and drive me back. Had to keep my phone charged to find her. Also, I use a GPS watch, it's great for hiking but it's power hungry. The battery will last long enough for an overnight backpack, but I like spending more time in the mountains than that. Which means I have to be able to charge my watch in the wilderness.

This costs $10 and weighs 2.6 ounces. It will charge my watch 8+ times, or my phone 1.5 times. I charge it before I leave, keep it in my backpack, and charge stuff overnight in my tent while I sleep. Highly recommended.

That won't solve your connectivity problems, but it'll let you use your phone if you want to. I have the Google Sky Map on mine, I can't see many stars from the city so when I get out into the wilderness it's a treat.

Oh kewl! I didn't know those worked so well! Thanks!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Also turn the brightness way down to save battery life.