Creatine

Options
I'd like to hear from anyone who uses Creatine daily to help with muscle repair/fatigue. After interviewing several distance running friends, I've started using it daily after my workouts and in the mornings of rest days. My doctor also recommended it. Often after speed and strength workouts, my muscles feel so heavy and fatigued that I can't even run one mile. I have already noticed a difference in muscle soreness -- much less after strenuous workouts. Hopefully it will help with the fatigue too.

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I use it. Helps with my recovery as well.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    It's nice.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have been using it for some time. In terms of recovery, I take BCAA's.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I try to get about 5-6 grams a day of it in my protein shakes. It definitely seems to improve my recovery time.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I take creatine pills, 2 a day. Creatine 4200. Helps with long workouts and cardio.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I have tried several different brands and I always end up cramping and lot, and/or having to poop... a lot...
    After a highly recommended brand that claimed no cramping made me cramp and poop.. I decided to forget about it. I didn't seem to respond well to it other than those effects :D
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Six Star Creatine X3 powder, which includes BCAAs. Since it's a powdered drink mix, I sip it slowly after a workout. No stomach issues so far. I'm taking about 6g daily to start. It's also pretty delicious!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I have tried several different brands and I always end up cramping and lot, and/or having to poop... a lot...
    After a highly recommended brand that claimed no cramping made me cramp and poop.. I decided to forget about it. I didn't seem to respond well to it other than those effects :D

I take straight monohydrate creatine. No flavor.

You have to drink a lot of water to keep the cramps away. And to help with digestive issues, I mix it in a little bit of really hot water. I stir it every so often and let it sit and dissolve as much as possible before drinking it.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    12by311 wrote: »

I take straight monohydrate creatine. No flavor.

You have to drink a lot of water to keep the cramps away. And to help with digestive issues, I mix it in a little bit of really hot water. I stir it every so often and let it sit and dissolve as much as possible before drinking it.

Yes, I tried a plain monohydrate and it wasn't as bad as others for the digestion, but cramping was daily. I drink at minimum a gallon of water a day, usually more. I drink plently intra workout. I also let it dissolve a while and shake frequently. I have never experienced a tricep or trap cramp before using the monohydrate. The benefits just don't outweigh the cons for me. I tried for several months to make it work, but I would rather get back to better workouts where I don't have to be more concerned about trying not to cramp up.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I have been using it for some time. In terms of recovery, I take BCAA's.

Same. I like Amino X. I hardly ever get sore anymore. I take the Creatine for strength gains mostly.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I found it's better to just dump the creatine in your mouth, and wash it down with water. I don't have the time or patience to let it dissolve, and what does not dissolve, sticks to the inside of the bottle.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dilute it in a shot glass, and drink it and then add more water to get the whats stuck on the bottom.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Funny story, my PT told me one of his cop clients put on 40# of muscle in 6 months. So the PT asked him how. This guy said, oh just work out and take creatine...

Lol.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I throw it in with my pre-workout and down it. I usually have to rinse or swirl the bottle at the end to get it all. I don't like sipping it because the granules never really dissolve.
  • Carla1962Shaw2015
    Carla1962Shaw2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been using for about 6 weeks. I can tell a difference in " pump" in my muscles, especially my arms. Didn't think about soreness before I read this thread but now that I think about it, I guess it's helped with that as well.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I take micronized (dissolved in water easier) creatine monohydrate daily. I can't comment upon it as a recovery aid but it does lead to increased water retention which you will see as scale weight and in some cases increased muscle volume. I remember being pretty thirsty for the first day I took it.

The information on this page http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/ does seem to indicate (7 studies) that there is an positive effect upon fatigue. And, the increased power output with creatine is well documented.

Given the benefits for someone trying to retain/gain muscle or get stronger, the price and minimal side effects in most (and seemingly zero for myself - I've never had any cramps or stomach problems) it's a no-brainier for me.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Creatine is one of the most well-researched and effective supplements out there, and it's cheap to boot. No-brainer.