Does running 4.75 miles count as "leg day"

Options
pondee629
pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
or should I schedule a "leg day" in my weight sessions?

During the cold weather months (I don't like running in the cold, judge if you want to) I don't run but lift 6 days a week alternating among upper, lower, core, total body and cardio. Now that I'm running three days a week do I schedule, and do, a lower body lifting workout as one of my three lifting days, or does the three running sessions count?

Thanks

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Running and weight lifting are definitely different categories. At the very least, I'd find some time to do a few sets of squats, lunges, deadlifts, box jumps, etc at least once a week.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Nah. I'd add in a day for some strength exercises too. Running is exercise that strengthens your muscles but you would need to do a lot more than 5 miles for it to wipe out the legs.

Strength training works your muscles in a slightly different way too so add in a day for aerobic exercise too.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Different categories. I've found leg workouts to really HELP my running. I actually love the feeling of running when my legs are sore from lifting the day before, it feels like the run shakes them out. It also feels like lifting reduces my running pains so I feel it helps prevent injury.

Any reason you are splitting? Could you do full body 3x a week and run 3x a week on different days? Just a thought.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    No, not for me.

But, I would never have leg day on a run day. Overkill for my legs.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I do the full body weight days and the three run days, alternating between the two. I never cheat my legs on weight days. I do at least one recovery run a week as one of my run days of about 6 miles.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I would count it as a cardio day but not leg day.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would keep at least one day a week to get in few max effort strength sets on squats or some other main compound lift but keep the volume low so it doesn't interfere with your cardio.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Whenever this question comes up, use this logic: It is generally accepted that, in order to do a "strength exercise" you work the muscle against a resistance load that causes muscle fatigue/failure in around 10 reps or less (don't quibble about the details, just go with me here).

When doing cardio, in this case running, you are performing thousands of repetitions without ever reaching muscle fatigue/failure.

How would one of those exercises be a substitute for the other?

It makes it an easy answer.
  • pondee629
    Options
    "Any reason you are splitting?" My upper body strength has always been wanting and I've been trying to concentrate there more. Maybe one upper body and two total body workouts with the three running days.

Thanks all for the feed back.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "Any reason you are splitting?" My upper body strength has always been wanting and I've been trying to concentrate there more. Maybe one upper body and two total body workouts with the three running days.

Thanks all for the feed back.

I'd just do a beginner routine that is 3 full body days or a push/ pull/ legs style routine. Are you just trying to get jack'd n tan? then legs once a week is fine. Trying to increase overall athletic ability? then full body 3x a week is better.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

In your shoes, I'd probably just go for three full-body days and bias my accessory work to really hit my weak areas. Unless you're just super-short on time.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Only if you like a big torso and chicken legs.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    NO
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

In your shoes, I'd probably just go for three full-body days and bias my accessory work to really hit my weak areas. Unless you're just super-short on time.

That's where my mind was going as well.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes, but only if you're doing 4.75 miles of hill repeats, or stadiums.
  • pondee629
    Options
    Yep, you are all right. Went back and did a "leg day" routine and if DOMS (and the fact that it was harder than it should have been) is any indication running 4.75 miles does NOT qualify as "leg day". Really gotta start re-incorporating "leg day" into my routine. Perhaps three "whole body" routines alternating days with my "runs".