Is it weird or illegal to go into a large hotel just to use their staircase for exercise?

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    All great ideas guys, except some of you missed the part where I mentioned I live in such a small town that the only building larger than 2 story is this one and only giant hotel lol there is no mall, parking garage, or anything like that here.... Even our hospital is single story lol the idea here is to get outta the house but not actually be outside. Turns out, not such an easy task in a small town.... Maybe I'll stick to just being the weird lady who walks laps around Walmart.... Lol

Here, in California, most high schools have stadium bleachers. They are pretty protected so may not be that big of an issue for certain allergies. Maybe you can build up a resistance to your allergy by going out little by little.

Otherwise, bring the donuts to the hotel! :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Alright, so it seems like the thing to do is just go to the front desk and ask the managers permission and then just say something to front desk every time I show up? I really don't care if people think I'm "the weird lady that climbs the stairs" lmao I am definitely more concerned that they will think I'm some kinda weirdo because it's so suspicious to go to the stairwell they may think I'm scoping the place out to do something bad or something.... Thanks for your input everyone!

Yes, ask the manager's permission and drop by the desk before you start. As long as you are quiet they won't have a problem with it. Hotels have lots of weird people drop by and sleep in the public bathroom or shower in the pool area then leave. Asking to walk the stairs isn't that odd and they'll appreciate that you let them know.

I agree with this. Make sure they give permission and know you are there every time. If a hotel doesn't work out, go to the mall. There are plenty of people who workout in the mall by walking all of the levels and taking the steps.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Camish911 wrote: »
    To all the people saying use a stair climber or a step stool/box at home... part of my motivation for taking the stairs is the stair counter on my Fitbit. Fitbit doesn't count stairs on a stair climber or a box. It works on air pressure. That requires actually going up stairs.

And is it weird to go to a hotel to climb the stairs? Perhaps, but I've probably weirded out my neighbors by walking up the stairs by my apartment over and over again. No worries!

Not true.
    I just tried it on a small step stool (as in one of those small ones a child uses to reach the sink) and it counted my steps just fine. Sure, it's boring, but it works!

ETA- And when I use my ellipitical it counts those steps as well... that isn't " actually going up stairs".
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited April 2016
    msf74 wrote: »
    Is there any reason you wouldn't just use a single step repeatedly in your own home for

^^ Exactly.
    I do this everyday, both at home and at work. Three levels at home, 1, at work. I have 30 staircases on my fit bit right now.

Also, I live in the country on 10 acres of rolling wooded hills. I get credit for 23 staircases for a 45 minute walk in our woods.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Many hotels, will not allow you to access various parts of the hotel without a key card. Often this is true for the smaller more rural hotels, but also some of the very large ones as well.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Definitely get permission. Otherwise it's trespassing. FB will count steps but not floors on a step box or stool.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Alright, so it seems like the thing to do is just go to the front desk and ask the managers permission and then just say something to front desk every time I show up? I really don't care if people think I'm "the weird lady that climbs the stairs" lmao I am definitely more concerned that they will think I'm some kinda weirdo because it's so suspicious to go to the stairwell they may think I'm scoping the place out to do something bad or something.... Thanks for your input everyone!

Yes, ask the manager's permission and drop by the desk before you start. As long as you are quiet they won't have a problem with it. Hotels have lots of weird people drop by and sleep in the public bathroom or shower in the pool area then leave. Asking to walk the stairs isn't that odd and they'll appreciate that you let them know.

I agree with this. Make sure they give permission and know you are there every time. If a hotel doesn't work out, go to the mall. There are plenty of people who workout in the mall by walking all of the levels and taking the steps.

If the hotel is the only building around with more than 2 stories there is not a multi level mall there
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I did this before and didn't ask permission. I actually didn't even think about it. I was doing a Scale the Strat and needed the practice and one of the hotels on the Strip was perfect for this. I have a girlfriend that uses hotel stairs when traveling. Currently I run stairs at a high school on the weekends. As far as allergies some of these stair cases aren't used very often so if you're super sensitive the dust might be a problem.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    If I lived where you live, I would join you =) If it's a small town, I would just ask.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Is anyone missing the point that this is a "very small town" with an 8-story hotel???? The hospital is only 1-story. No malls. No parking garages. But Mariott built an 8-story hotel there? C'mon, people. This isn't real!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Necro thread
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Is anyone missing that this is an 8-month old thread, and the hotel isn't in that very small town, but 30 minutes away?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Very odd bump of a necro thread... How would one even find this to post a comment after 8 months? Search terms - Hotel? Illegal? Staircase?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Illegal - probably not.
    Weird - definitely.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Since this is a zombie thread, I'm interested in how it panned out for the OP.

Did she talk to reception and make it a regular thing to walk the stairs in this hotel?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Did she talk to reception and make it a regular thing to walk the stairs in this hotel?

What if she's in jail!?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What if she's in jail!?

Then we should conclude that it was in fact both weird and illegal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    One of the weirdest necro posts ever.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    One of the weirdest necro posts ever.

I've found some kind of weird satisfaction from it.