Stuck at a stand still

Options
Im stuck at a stand still so i changed my calories from 1900 to 1500 i hope i ll see some 3 results i work out 3x a week so i dont see what im doing wrong anyone have any advice?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've lost weight?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've lost weight?

this
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you provide some more information? What are your stats? How long have you been losing weight/how much have you lost? How long has it been since you've lost? How are you measuring your calorie intake? How are you measuring your exercise calories and how much, if any, of them do you eat back?
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Like two weeks.. ive lost about 7 lbs so far. Im 188 lbs and i always track my calories and dont eat them back.
  • OnAMissionToFit
    OnAMissionToFit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It could be muscle especially if you're new to your eating and work out program. Muscle weighs more than fat. I'd recommend maybe start measuring as well.

Many years ago, I was so pissed because I wasn't losing weight. At the same time, I was getting so many compliments. Coincidentally, I went to the mall and decided to try on some pants - was down to dress sizes with no loss on the scale.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Like two weeks.. ive lost about 7 lbs so far. Im 188 lbs and i always track my calories and dont eat them back.

Two weeks is too soon to freak out. I can't see your dairy, so I'm not sure how you are measuring your food (or if you are making logging errors), but it's common to have a pause in your weight loss. Instead of cutting your calories by 400, I would start by making sure that my logging was in good shape.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    so not quite 2 weeks...I wouldn't worry about it atm.

If you are sure you are tracking accurately with a food scale it could be a few things like water retention, close to that time of the month, sodium, new exercise...

If you aren't using a food scale...I would consider getting one.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It could be muscle especially if you're new to your eating and work out program. Muscle weighs more than fat. I'd recommend maybe start measuring as well.

Many years ago, I was so pissed because I wasn't losing weight. At the same time, I was getting so many compliments. Coincidentally, I went to the mall and decided to try on some pants - was down to dress sizes with no loss on the scale.

Outside of newbie gains when lifting, no.

Honestly, as the others have said, just stick to 1900 and make sure your logging is as accurate as possible. There could be a number of reasons why you haven't lost in two weeks.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

that doesn't mean you are gaining muscle...it means you are losing inches...and I bet you did lose on the scale after that...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    What are you stats? Age/height/weight/activity level?
  • Bettina82
    Bettina82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks, but I can tell my clothes fit differently. Do you use a scale and measure all your food? Are you getting enough water? Do you use a heart rate monitor to log your calories burned from exercise?
  • PICKFORDJ
    PICKFORDJ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Im stuck at a stand still so i changed my calories from 1900 to 1500 i hope i ll see some 3 results i work out 3x a week so i dont see what im doing wrong anyone have any advice?

• PICKFORDJ
    PICKFORDJ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi i was at a stand still once when i was at a slimming club and she told me to go and have a big meal even if its fish and chips only for 1 evening - i thought she was mad!! trying to loose weight not put it back on - well it turned out she was right - i had fish and chips and the next day i went back to my calories controlled diet and i lost 2.5 lb that week. Apparently sometimes your metabolic rate needs a kick start (and it can slow down and grind to a halt) and this did if for me - give it a try.
  • thenewkayla
    Options
    I weigh my food most the time i have the biggest loser scale. O drink about 5 16 oz glasses of water which is hard enough but i do it.
  • thenewkayla
    Options
    What are you stats? Age/height/weight/activity level?

Im 24 5,6 and my job is pretty active
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It looks like we've covered some of these, but maybe something here will help:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so since you last saw a drop on the scale, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

Similar advice but in visual format:

9xeg94db6kr4.jpg

And a reminder that we don't lose weight consistently every week, even when we're doing everything right:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1
  • thenewkayla
    Options
    It looks like we've covered some of these, but maybe something here will help:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so since you last saw a drop on the scale, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

Similar advice but in visual format:

9xeg94db6kr4.jpg

And a reminder that we don't lose weight consistently every week, even when we're doing everything right:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

Thanks this was very helpful