What 'food rules' or 'life rules' do you live by to maintain your weight?

Options
It seems to me that everyone has sort of a food philosophy when it comes to the way they approach their lives and I was curious what personal standbys some of you may have to continue having success in weight maintenance. Some examples I've heard in the past are:

1) I count my calories every day, my limit is XXXX per day/wk
2) I make sure to walk 60 minutes every day, rain or shine!
3) I try on a tight pair of jeans every week - if it's too tight, I begin dieting
4) I weigh myself every day/wk/month and once I hit a scream weight I start dieting
5) I only eat sweets when I'm out of the house: never free, never alone, never at home

What are your keys to success? I am about 10-20 lbs from my goal weight after having lost 85 lbs but I did it in a way that I didn't really enjoy or find particularly sustainable (eating too little and didn't really like the workouts). As such I'm searching for a new sustainable way of life. :) and I'm particularly interested in those maintaining a healthy BMI since apparently so far for me that has been incredibly hard to do :/

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    1) weigh daily
    2) exercise regularly
    3) avoid foods in a package or box
    4) avoid starchy carbs - pasta, potatoes, bread
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    1) weigh in daily
    2) put daily weight into a trend graph. Libra is a good app for this, as it will forecast my future weight based on past entries and current habits.
    3) avoid bread/grain based foods
    4) drink water and wait 20 minutes to see if I am actually hungry or just bored
    5) work out 4-5x per week
    6) log in to mfp every single day
    7) wear a fitness tracker. This always keeps my body on my mind.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    These are great! Love all of these, reading every single one, thank you :)
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    • I weigh myself several times a week.
    • I exercise/run 6 days a week, I try to aim for 15K steps/day at least except for Sundays where I'm happy with 10K.
    • I try to limit eating out to special occasions.
    • I count calories. When I'm trying to shed a few pounds, I aim for < 1900. Maintenance is around 2000.
    • I always try to find a lower calorie option or skip items that aren't worth the calories to me i.e. mayo or cheese on sandwiches, grated cheese on pasta, butter on french toast, pepperoni on pizza, cream/sugar in coffee etc. it's not really a sacrifice to me so I avoid the extra calories when I can. Those calories while small in itself can add up quickly!
    • I avoid drinking any calories i.e. Starbucks is about a once a month splurge.

This, 100%.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Keep track of my calories and weight.
    Prepare and eat as much of my food as possible, very little restaurant or take out, but all foods in moderation. Pretty much the same as when I was losing except I get to eat a little more.
    Go to gym every day.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My only hard rules right now are to not go over maintenance, log every calorie to the best of my knowledge, and not to eat food I'm not really enjoying. I'm down 78 pounds and have 15 more to go, soon I'll be eating at maintenance and will start making more rules then.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure every BLT (bite, lick, taste).
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Mainly just "be mindful of what and how much I eat".

When I think through how many calories are in something I can make a better decision on whether or not it's worth it... dessert on my birthday from a restaurant I only go to once a year? Probably worth it. Free doughnut in the work break room? Definitely not worth the extra calories.

This! Be aware of what you're eating and don't mindlessly eat too!
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am keeping a running list of all the good tips guys thanks :) I am keeping a running list of all the ones I think might work for me and since they are all down to earth and realistic I have to say that it's nearly all of them. Really helping me thanks :) Still refreshing every now and then - would love to see more input if anyone has more!