Avocados

Options
2»

Replies

• marphoria
    marphoria Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Avocados are the best! Definitely a great idea to keep them in your diet plan. I love it as guacamole with tonsss of lime and cilantro, as slices on top of wheat toast with a fried egg, or as a topping on an open faced sandwich or burger. Such a great food!
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I like avocados, but alas they don't like me. :( I can have one every now and again and be fine but too close together and my autoimmune system goes nuts.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I love avocados and find a way to fit them in. I find guac is a satisfying alternative to sour cream in my mexican food. and i LOVE avocado on toast w/a poached egg....healthier than butter and only 1/4 of an avocado goes a long way!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    They are delicious for sure. And here in Texas they are stupid cheap. I might start eating one every day now.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    I love avocados, but haven't eaten them much recently because they have been too expensive and mostly not very good anyway. If I pay AU$4 - 6 for a single avo, I want something really good!

Woolies have them 2/4$ at the moment. I hate the normal price as well. If it weren't for the price I'd have them everyday too.

Do you have an Aldi's nearby? Around $.70 there last week.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Just a note:

I just discovered that keeping a cut avocado submerged in water (in fridge) keeps it last longer.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I love avocados, but haven't eaten them much recently because they have been too expensive and mostly not very good anyway. If I pay AU$4 - 6 for a single avo, I want something really good!

Woolies have them 2/4$ at the moment. I hate the normal price as well. If it weren't for the price I'd have them everyday too.

gaaah I just paid $3.20 each at Coles :confounded:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Love them. Usually eat half at a time, though. And they are sadly expensive here.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    jwcanfield wrote: »

Do you have an Aldi's nearby? Around $.70 there last week.

Ta. Worth a look. Our local Aldi can be dodgy sometimes with fruit n veg.
  • Qskim
    Options

gaaah I just paid $3.20 each at Coles :confounded:

That's a price hovering on "maybe"...I feel guilty paying too much cos no one else eats them at home. Luxury item.

There's a fruit/veg place that I sometimes get a bag 5/7$. Woolies n Coles piss me off.
  • chrissynz01
    chrissynz01 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How many calories in a medium avocado? Such varying amounts!!!
  • Qskim
    edited April 2016
    Options

I'd use an entry that has grams so you can weigh it. There's one there under "Avocados, commercial variety" with a green tick. Cos your "medium" may not be my "medium".
  • Christine_72
    Options

No idea, i weigh mine on a food scale.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Just a little caution - make sure you choose the correct diary entry for avocado, there's so many of them and the calories vary a lot. Avocados are high calorie, don't be fooled into selecting one of the nice lower calorie listings then wondering why your weight loss has plateaued. :(
  • Christine_72
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Just a little caution - make sure you choose the correct diary entry for avocado, there's so many of them and the calories vary a lot. Avocados are high calorie, don't be fooled into selecting one of the nice lower calorie listings then wondering why your weight loss has plateaued. :(

Yep I always enter them as "Avocado USDA", and even then, some of the entries are wrong :rage:

I go here if I need to double check anything http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
  • vegmebuff
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »

Yep I always enter them as "Avocado USDA", and even then, some of the entries are wrong :rage:

I go here if I need to double check anything http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search

^ that is a great source
    So naturally I looked up avocados...
    3 different entries:
    Raw-all varieties are 1.6 calories/gram
    California are same 1.6 calories/gram
    Florida's are 1.3 calories/gram
  • vegmebuff
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Go outside of the"usual" haas avocado. Try the huge Brasilian avocados for example. There are is soooo much variety.

I certainly would if that was an option! Sadly, I'm left mainly with Mexican or California Haas.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've found that using airtight containers, specifically the snapware glass containers, keeps my avocado fairly fresh over several days. They still get lightly brown, but not as bad as they would in normal containers.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Eating one right now on top of a black bean burger. Sooooo good <3