Keeping perpective

Options
Competition (noun) the activity or condition of competing. I think that everyone while they are in this process of losing weight and dieting at some point lose perspective. I know I get caught up in being "thinner than, smaller than, look like I weigh less than," some one else. I'll find myself comparing as if it were a competition. "She looks better than me" is a thought that pulses through my mind toward a dangerous spiral of negativity. It's good to remind myself that it's not a contest. That the goal is to be honest and do my personal best.

" Your biggest competition is yourself."-me

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yeah that is true and I look at it like that when I'm striving to achieve a new goal. But I also gotta be honest, I also compare myself to women who are my age and (I know I'm a bad person to say this) I'm fairly proud of the fact that I'm pushing middle age and look pretty darn good in comparison to a lot of women my age.

I know that's a terrible thing to say, but it's true. It's part of what keeps me going. It's not the ONE and ONLY thing but it's definitely up there.
  • graceanli
    graceanli Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Interesting point. It makes think about another point. Most people who would look at me would think that I don't need to lose weight and would say I'm crazy for dieting, but they have no idea about the personal struggle and scrutiny I'm under. Makes me wonder how many girls that I am envious of have their own demons that I don't know about.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    graceanli wrote: »
    Interesting point. It makes think about another point. Most people who would look at me would think that I don't need to lose weight and would say I'm crazy for dieting, but they have no idea about the personal struggle and scrutiny I'm under. Makes me wonder how many girls that I am envious of have their own demons that I don't know about.

Oh I definitely think that we all have our own demons. Most everyone is "normal" until you actually get to know them. :)

• graceanli
    graceanli Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Too true. Normal is just an opinion.