1/2 ironman training plan?

Options

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have one I'd spend the money on a multisport GPS watch instead, it'll cover all 3 disciplines so you'd get more use out of it. Granted it won't do cadence unless you link up a compatible sensor but that's doable.

I have the TomTom Multisport watch and use it to track runs, rides and swims then link it to my phone via the app and then it automatically loads to Strava & MapMyFitness which in turn automatically loads calorie burn to MFP. The electronic part of the watch comes out of the wrist strap and can be quickly mounted to the bike if you prefer to look at it on the handlebars when riding - a small easy to use bracket is supplied with the watch.

I also have a separate bike computer but that just predates the TomTom.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/pearl-izumi-mens-tri-fly-v-cycling-shoes-8125773/?color=9325

any thoughts on these shoes?

Pearl Izumi Men's Tri Fly V Cycling Shoes

I have a pair of these and like them. Nice and cool when riding, easy on/off while still on bike, etc.
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit surge that my wife bought me for Christmas this year. It works great for running. I put it on workout mode when I bike and it keeps my heart rate. I don't have anything for when I swim. I have to use a phone app for when I bike which has worked fine. I have a clock that sits outside of the pool when I swim so I know how far and how fast I am going, I just don't have anything for my heart rate. I don't think I am going to get another heart rate device just for swimming right now.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I just bought the Pearl Izumi Men's Tri Fly V Cycling Shoes yesterday with pedals. I am going to go on a slow ride to test them out today and then I have my long ride (which is 35 miles) tomorrow. I am interested to see how I feel and if it makes a difference when I bike. I have an 8 mile run this morning.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Practice standing in the house or garage, clipping your left foot in and out. Get good and automatic at it.

That way when you slow down to stop, you lift off saddle, left foot comes out automatically, and right stays in.

The choice of foot is merely for aesthetics, right foot clipped decreases the odds of getting chainring grease on leg if that side was coming in and out.

I've never had a foot down or fail to release tumble in 20 yrs of road riding, beginning and end almost always with decent amount of light stops, if not the whole route. I missed a pounded clip a couple times, and smooth bottom shoe don't grip so well on little round pedal and it'll smack the shin real good. But other than that, practice allows not following over in front of cars, people, picnic goers at part, ect.
  • sarabushby
    Options
    How did you get on Dee? Good ride? Liking the shoes & pedals?
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I have used the new shoes and pedals twice. It took me a second to get used to it but I am a lot better than when I first started. I feel like at first it took me longer to clip out but now it takes me a little longer to clip in than to clip out. It is not automatic yet but hopefully it will come with time.

I did my first 35 mile ride on Sunday morning with the shoes. I thought I would see a significant difference with the shoes but I didn't feel great riding for whatever reason. It was a really windy, cold day. It was my longest ride of my training so far. I ran a pretty good pace (for me) the day before and ran 8 miles. I don't know what it was but I have felt better other times on the bike than what I did on Sunday. Maybe it was the shoes and being clipped in. If that is the case I am sure that it will just take a little time to get used to and then it will make me more efficient on the bike. It clearly wasn't my best day however.
  • heybales
    Options
    Your legs may totally have down the pattern of pushing without the benefit if cleats. Or you somehow managed to mimic it already correctly and came right over.

While you can't pedal true circles, you can get better at unweighting the lifting leg, and now no issue with it falling off pedal.
    The pull back usually improves decently to improve the circle, and that's really hard to do without cleats.

Your cadence also may not have sped up enough to benefit from the efficiency, some get used to stomping the pedals - and you'd have worse time attempting that if you did decent run yesterday.

Are you able to get cadence up around 85-95?
    Easiest way for quick estimate is an easy stretch pedaling as normal, just time 6 seconds and 1 knee up count, should be about 9.

Or just the type of day following a good run yesterday.

Remember every workout done as hard as you can will backfire sooner or later.
  • sarabushby
    Options
    Ah not to worry @dee_thurman we all have those days sometimes. I know I felt weak when I headed out yesterday on my ride. I find the weather has a big influence on my mood and thus my performance. If it's sunny, I'm happy, I ride well. If it's blowing a gale, overcast and drizzly I'm miserable as sin! Only time I ride fast in the rain is if I'm caught out and making a dash for it to get home!

Keep up the good work!
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    sarabushby - I know what you mean. I was excited about my new gear and was let down by workout. I was ok today. I am not worried. I am excited about a 1500 swim tomorrow morning. My longest swim since I have been on this training program.
  • bluetrumpet01
    bluetrumpet01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    @dee_thurman just using pedals and shoes isn't going to really do anything for your riding ability. in fact, you're more likely to injure yourself because of the limited amount of movement your foot now has and the fact that most newbies tend to want to pull up really hard from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock (pedal position during a pedal stroke) which causes strain on your achilles and calf.

now that you're on pedals, you're going to want to make sure that your bike fit is correct. it's more important now that your leg is locked into the bike because a bad fit can cause strain from your ankle to your hips.

to get the most out of your pedals, you're going to have to practice pedaling drills. you can google these, but the majority of the time they recommend you do these on a trainer (which i know you don't have). it takes a ton of repetition to commit these new movements to muscle memory. ideally, you don't want to pull from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock, you can want to kick your foot forward from about 10 o'clock to 3 o'clock, and then metaphorically scrape the ground as you pull back from 3 o'clock back to 7 o'clock. being able to do this smoothly increases your pedaling efficiency which will *in time* make you faster
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    When I run my heart rate is around 130 - 145. I am pretty comfortable at running the pace I need to run and my heart stays around those numbers. When I bike it isn't even close to that. I have an average HR of 100 - 110 almost every time I ride. I am not trying to sprint on the bike by any means but I feel like I am exerting more energy on rides than when I ride and my HR doesn't reflect that. I have read that when you bike your HR isn't going to be as high as when you run. Is the difference between my run and bike HR normal?
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    bluetrumpet01 - There is no doubt I have a lot to learn about biking. I know I am not efficient on the bike. I don't really have an aches or pains. In fact my body feels much better swimming biking running and lifting than it did when I was just running and lifting. I am sure I will hurt more as the training gets more intense. I have not heard or read anything like you just posted. I appreciate the post. You are correct I don't have a trainer so I will have to try to smooth out my pedal stroke as I train on the trail/road.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Run Hr will be highest, then bike avg HR, then swim.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    My swim HR is much higher than my bike HR. My swim HR is closer to my run HR.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    for swimming, at least once a month you should be doing a practice mile, even in the pool, to get used to the distance you'll be swimming for you 70.3. so about 2000 yards straight. maybe not at first though. work your way up. but you should be getting in at least one long set every other swim workout of 500 yards.

also, once a week, do a set of 500 yards and practice sighting. it takes a while to get used to it, and even popping up your head in a pool works.
  • heybales
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Depends on what discipline you come from as to what HR may be higher.
    I started with running and did biking later - I have the same HRmax and same LT HR, lab and field tested.

Studies showing a difference usually have people like me having lower on the bike.
    At least one study of triathletes that came from biking background had most of them matching. Because ya - cyclist are tougher! ;-)

So it's usually perception, since it's less impact on the body, there is less HR increase purely from that aspect - which means you are getting it all from your energy going into moving.
    So indeed feels as hard but lower HR - on average.

The general nature of riding too though results in lower average for a workout session usually.
    You go up a hill you get an increase from perhaps pushing harder, you lower on the top and it really lowers going down - even if pedaling to limit of gearing. Or stop and go with lights/stop signs.

Whereas running you get no such relief if you attempt to maintain pace, even downhills aren't a relief if using gravity to your benefit and going faster - so the average is higher.

They are slightly different muscles being used too - hence the good cross-training nature of them combined.
    So the newer ones will get the same treatment running gave the others - it'll get better.

Swimming just probably out of shape right now for those muscles - from perspective of endurance cardio anyway.
  • sarabushby
    Options
    Some good advice from @Capt_Apollo there about practising sighting. If you don't you could end up easily swimming +20% of the distance in the event.

Try to learn to be comfortable breathing both sides so you can keep a better eye on what's going on around you, and learn to sight by lifting your head only enough so that your eyes come up - think like a set of crocodile eyes, then turn your head to the side, breath, and pop it back under. The less you lift your head the less your legs will drop slowing you down.

Try to practice not just going through the motions in the pool but genuinely 'seeing' what's in front of you, it's easy to look up but not so easy for the brain to actually digest what you're looking at so that you can then take any necessary action. Buoys can be hard to spot sometimes in OW. If possible you should find a bigger landmark to sight to e.g find the correct line to the buoy then work out whether you need to head for 'the big tall building' or 'the two trees' etc.

Have you got any OW swimming in yet?
  • heybales
    Options
    Even planning out where is the rising sun potentially coming from for the swim route. Far too many seem to route such as to make seeing the buoys about impossible from a distance, I've seen the whole group trust lead swimmers who are not going straight line. But if they had reversed the route, wouldn't have been an issue.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I have not practiced open water swimming and most of my workouts, I am doing 100's or 200's with 10 or 15 seconds in between. I am getting 1250 or even 1500 yards within all of my reps but it is saying to rest. I have had a couple of longer swims within my workout program but I have a feeling when there is no wall 25 yards away it will be a much different feeling. I need to practice an open water swim. How do you know how far you swim in the open water?