difficult time eating "clean" and no cheating!

Options
I have been through this weight loss process too many times to count. This time is much harder! I was doing 1hr of cardio from Oct - March. I was consistently losing 6lbs a month until February, then everything just stopped. Now, my cousin has been writing an eating plan and exercise schedule for me which seems to be working VERY slowly. Much more weight training and clean eating/low carb eating than I was doing before. I'm down a couple pounds in 3 weeks, but it just doesn't feel like anything. There are NO cheating days, NO alcohol, and it makes me depressed. On top of the slow weight loss, I am constantly retaining water....even though I watch my sodium intake and drink a TON of water. I feel angry and kinda want to give up. Anyone have similar experiences?

Replies

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You can have "cheat days" and alcohol on a diet. It doesn't have to be "clean", it doesn't have to be low-carb! You should definitely try switching it up, no matter what your cousin says - you can find a workable diet for you. I drink plenty on my diet, I just make sure to fit it in. Good luck!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Weight loss gets slower the closer you get to goal. If you are very, very close to goal, consider a half pound a week a good rate of loss. A lot of people focus more on fitness goals or inches lost as they get near the end.

No matter what, if you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight. There is absolutely no reason to make yourself miserable with food choices. Eat at a deficit and the weight will come off. Food choices can affect other aspects of health, how full you feel, and how happy you are during weight loss. Consuming solely "clean" foods (whatever that is) will only help if you eat at a deficit. A beer within your calories won't hurt your progress.

As seven other people are probably replying as I type this, pick a way of eating that you can sustain. Otherwise you'll gain back the weight when you quit your short-term diet.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just eat normally, in a deficit? 80% from whole, minimally processed foods, 20% to use at your discretion on treats/things you love.
  • sublimebutterfly
    sublimebutterfly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if you can't sustain the program what good is it? It sounds like your cousin has set you up to fail. Is your cousin a trainer or a doctor or something?

She is starting out becoming a personal trainer, and has been successful with a few other people. So, I trust her, but at the same time I feel like I need some regular "reward" if I'm going to succeed. For example, It would be good to have a couple drinks on Friday nights. Or maybe I'm just not disciplined enough. I want to be strong- but it is hard.
  • TennesseeJen
    TennesseeJen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So, I'm going to be completely honest here. I'm lazy, and I don't enjoy exercising. When I was in high school, I played a lot of sports and was super active, but that didn't feel like exercise to me. I would so be down for a game of ball, but an hour of cardio or weights or whatever just is not my jam. I know that about myself. So, my first step was getting my diet right. I started counting calories. In a sense, I ate what I wanted, but with my huge *kitten* appetite, I also learned what I could eat to get the biggest bang for my calorie buck. I started at 1500 and now I'm at 1200 calories. With diet alone, I've lost almost 50 lbs since the beginning of December- 4ish months. Diet alone. Now that I'm motivated and not so incredibly out of shape, adding exercise like walks, hikes, dancing, counting steps, and just getting up and doing things etc..is easier because I want to. I've already seen results, and now I'm building on that. I'm mentally motivated. I'm in Phase 2: Physical Health. Phase 1: Mental Health was hard enough
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Heeeey- they changed my naughty word to "kitten." Big butt appetite is what I meant. I don't eat cat. "Big kitten appetite" sounds even naughtier MFP. Just saying.

Lol! I was thinking, "that can't mean what I think it does so what does it even mean?" when I read it.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    U want to quit because u have a restrictive diet and a diet that is not sustainable. U need to reevaluate your eating plan... And eat within the allotted calories MFP has given you, this " clean eating" is going to turn into binge eating if ure constantly restricting
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Sounds miserable. I just eat at a calorie deficit. Clean eating sounds great in theory but is too much darn work and too restrictive for me. I lose just fine with just a calorie deficit and eating foods I actually enjoy.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't necessarily get slower once we are near our goal. Our body doesn't know how much weight we want to lose. It depends on what our current weight's maintenance calories are, and it depends on the calorie deficit we're working with.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Weight loss doesn't necessarily get slower once we are near our goal. Our body doesn't know how much weight we want to lose. It depends on what our current weight's maintenance calories are, and it depends on the calorie deficit we're working with.

Actually not necessary. When you have very few lbs to lose, your body will feel lousy, eg dizzy, if you are too aggressive with deficit. That's how you know. There seems to be a bottom with the daily requirement for one's particular lifestyle.

(I'm 5 lbs from reaching normal bmi. I could do 2+ lbs drop / week but I better not! I'm very keen with observation :))
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Did you know that the term "clean eating" has been invented approximately 20 years ago and does not have a definition for it self that people or food authorities agree upon?!

Make food and drinks fit your calories and macros - problem solved.

The concern is quantity - not quality from a size and weight point of view.
    If you want to "cheat" do it - track it and move on a burger won't make you fat just like a salad won't make you skinny.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Dieting for an extended time will eventually hit a stall due to homeostasis. And that plan doesn't sound like you like it, so the likelyhood of weight regain will happen. It's an continual story that been played over and over again in weight loss and eating "clean" usually ends up being the demise for many because how they eat "clean" isn't something they can sustain long term.
    As has been mentioned, it's CICO. You want to bump your metabolism more? Then increase your exercise intensity. More resistance, longer duration, more sets, more reps, or just harder versions of current exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »

Actually not necessary. When you have very few lbs to lose, your body will feel lousy, eg dizzy, if you are too aggressive with deficit. That's how you know. There seems to be a bottom with the daily requirement for one's particular lifestyle.

(I'm 5 lbs from reaching normal bmi. I could do 2+ lbs drop / week but I better not! I'm very keen with observation :))

Who mentioned or suggested ANYTHING about doing an aggressive deficit to lose weight? Again, let me say the following: your body doesn't know how much weight you want to lose. It depends on what our current weight's maintenance calories are, and it depends on the calorie deficit we're working with.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would ignore your cousin's plan and eat what you want (keeping a calorie deficit in MFP of course).
    If this is miserable, you won't stick with it.
    I had Baskin Robbins cookie dough ice cream last night. I can have treats by doing this.
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If her program doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. I'd never agree to a diet where I couldn't have a glass of wine or ice cream. I keep my treats within my macros and calorie goal. This should be a lifestyle adjustment for you. If what you're doing isn't sustainable for the long term, it just won't work. That's why a lot of people here will advocate for eating what you want, only in moderation.