lose 1, 1.5 or 2 lbs per week?

Options
I am 5/7", weigh 248 lbs, have a desk job and try to work out 5 days a week. I am confused where to set my weekly weight loss goal, if I pick 2 lbs per week, MFP has me eating like 1200 calories a day which I feel is pretty minimal for someone who has 100 lbs to lose, shouldn't I cut calories as I lose weight? If I start at 1200 calories, what will they have me drop down to? If I pick 1.5 lbs per week it has me around 1500 calories and at 1 lb per week it has me around 1800 calories a day. What does everyone else have the best success with? Am I right in thinking that the 1200 is way too low for me? I have a lot of weight to lose and obviously want to lose as much as a I can as quickly as possible, however, I also want to be able to stay at this and not burn out......

Opinions please!! :)

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I did 1 lb the whole way. The main reason is that it's much easier to stick to it that way. I can still have treats within my calories and I'm not feeling deprived at all... I haven't binged once in almost 6 months now.

Keep in mind that the way MFP works, you're supposed to eat your exercise calories back. So if you work out 5 days a week, 1500 plus exercise calories might be very reasonable for now with the lose 1.5 lb a week setting. If you're not going to eat the exercise calories back, I'd pick 1800.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I average between 1 or 2 a week. It has been steady, and I look and feel much better. I could have lost more, faster, but I was trying to change my habits, not starve myself.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think I hear the answer to your question, is in your question, if you know what I mean? You don't have to cut as much food, plus you get to eat some decent amount of food, if you only go to 1 lb a week. You are going to have to be at this for awhile either way to reach your goal, so why not make it "liveable?" At 1200 cals, let me tell you there is no wiggle room! I agree with the above posteer, if you do around 1800 and don't eat back exercise, youwill still see a great loss, but be able to have a cookie or glass of wine once in awhile. Good luck on your journey, it is possible, believe in yourself!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP then go with 1lb /week as it will be closer to what your body will need. At your height/weight you're probably maintaining somewhere around 3000 - assuming you are working out as much as you say. Have you tried to log your food intake for a week BEFORE you set your calories? This will give you a good idea where to start honestly..

I was close to you in stats when I started and I was on about 1800 PLUS EXERCISE so that seems pretty close. Keep in mind that with MFP you are expected to eat back at least some of your exercise calories. 1800 is a NET, not a gross. These days I NET 1400 and eat 1900-2200 a day.

Start with 1lb/week - eat back some exercise. You will be happier and still lose weight ;)
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    ya, i'm not one to eat my calories back- I just can't work that out in my head :) I think that I am going to change it to 1 lb per week and see how that works, I am ending my second week here. I lost 8 lbs my first week and nothing this week and I am thinking its due to not eating enough?
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I went for 2lb a week, but weight loss is not a steady graph anyway, and given your starting weight I do think a big loss will happen in first few weeks, which will give a mental boost to your determination to continue

MFP minimum is 1200, and it is not starvation, it does depend on what you eat, so loads of veggies & some fruit, just cut down on calorie dense stuff, like pasta, bread, rice, cheese etc

And use kitchen scales, weigh it all, don't eyeball it
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've increased calories as I have lost, starting at 244.5lbs. I started on 1200/day, and raised 100 calories when I reached a certain # lbs lost. Currently on 1500 calories/day/

I use this as a guide:

If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal, 
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal, 
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal, 

When you are heavy you can handle a larger deficit than when you have less to lose. Plus I'm working my way slowly up towards maintenance levels. Seems sensible to me.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    you also have the option to manually set your calorie goals

go here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals

then enter the number of cals you want to hit everyday

somewhere between 1500 - 1800 should work nicely

when setting manual goals, you have to remember to recalculate your numbers after every 10-15 lbs losses
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    I did 2 lbs a week with the intention of sticking to it but knowing that if I go over a little I will still be losing at least 1 a week.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I would recommend one pound a week, set yourself at sedentary, and log your exercise. Since you have a lot to lose you may lose faster than that (yay!). But it's a very sustainable level.

In my opinion, it is better to be meticulous about logging and ALWAYS hit your goal than to be more ambitious with the idea that it's okay to cheat because you set your goal high.

Good luck!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I would recommend one pound a week, set yourself at sedentary, and log your exercise. Since you have a lot to lose you may lose faster than that (yay!). But it's a very sustainable level.

In my opinion, it is better to be meticulous about logging and ALWAYS hit your goal than to be more ambitious with the idea that it's okay to cheat because you set your goal high.

Good luck!

This! And good luck....you CAN do this!
  • pmart611
    pmart611 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear it, but I just don't think you can get to a steady 1 - 2 lb per week weight loss without incorporating exercise. It is key to getting your metabolism back in gear and getting your body working in balance. Find ways to add walking into your daily routine. Intentionally park far out in the parking lot, walk at lunch time, take the stairs. You know ... all the things we've been told all along. Figure out how far you are walking, then add those activities to your exercise log. You'll be surprised how they add to your daily allowed calories that you can eat. Later on, work into getting some strength/muscle building exercises. Believe me, you will appreciate building those muscles down through your weight loss because it not only burns more fat, but you can recover that sagging skin as you go. Good luck!
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear it, but I just don't think you can get to a steady 1 - 2 lb per week weight loss without incorporating exercise. It is key to getting your metabolism back in gear and getting your body working in balance. Find ways to add walking into your daily routine. Intentionally park far out in the parking lot, walk at lunch time, take the stairs. You know ... all the things we've been told all along. Figure out how far you are walking, then add those activities to your exercise log. You'll be surprised how they add to your daily allowed calories that you can eat. Later on, work into getting some strength/muscle building exercises. Believe me, you will appreciate building those muscles down through your weight loss because it not only burns more fat, but you can recover that sagging skin as you go. Good luck!

I agree, I do exercise around 4-5 days per week, usually walking, biking or exercise videos
  • rCatheriner
    rCatheriner Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I set mine at 1.5 (at sedentary), that way I don't feel guilty if I go a little over. I also eat back my exercise calories if I'm hungry. I'm not happy if I'm hungry and if I'm not happy then I know I won't stick with it!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I started at 271 (again) and am now at 229. I set it to 2pds a week with no exercise. It has me now at 1270 calories a day. Honestly some days I dont even hit that bc veggies and fruits are very low and filling. I also keep it at 2pds a week bc I know if I do go eat that piece of cake its ok bc I have it set so high.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 285 lbs. I've got my goal set to 1 lb a week and am eating between 2200 (for the 1 lb) and 1950ish (1.5 lbs). I do my best to not go below 1750 or so which was my 2 lb a week goal before. I like having the wiggle room of the higher calorie amount, but as long as I keep my net between the 2 lb and 1 lb numbers I don't worry overly much. That will probably have to change when I get closer to goal, but for now it's working.

Edit to add: I'm set at lightly active since I work a full time job on my feet as a cashier/front of store salesperson.
  • janemontgomery71
    Options
    Jamie, I've always found it good to watch calories, though it takes more. It requires eating right and exercise. Sorry if you've heard this before. It also depends on my health factors, sleeping patterns, stress levels.

-Jane
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've kept my settings at 1.5 lbs per week for a while now. For a long time, my daily calorie goal was 1800, but after playing with the goals a little bit, it dropped to 1780. That's been working for me, but I'd say do what you're most comfortable with. If one setting seems like you're not eating enough or you're hungry at the end of the day, bump it up a little bit. If you're setting are a bit high, and you're not coming any where close to your daily calorie goal, drop it a bit.

I'd say play with the settings a bit, see how things are working for a week or so, and revisit the settings/goals.
  • DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    Options
    I have my account set to 1 lb weight loss per week and with sedentary lifestyle (I also have a desk job). I actually have been losing more like 1.5-2 lbs per week with it set that way.