Anxiety When Jogging By Unleashed Dogs

Options
I'm an avid dog fan I love dogs and I was a dog owner for 17 years. I don't have a phobia of dogs, but I do get anxiety when I jog by unleashed dogs in public parks I go too.

In NJ, it's a law to have a dog leashed in public parks.

I've been attacked by 2 pitbulls while on my jogs. When I confronted the owners, before hand, they assured me that I'd be fine and tell me that their pets are well behaved. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

I'm not sure how to approach this situation. I don't want to be mean and call the cops. At the same time, I want to be able to enjoy my job without stressing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Wait...so you mean you still see the same dogs that attacked you unleashed? Or you are just stressed running past unleashed dogs since the attack?

I feel you. I was attacked when I was a little girl and I really get freaked out by unleashed dogs now. I don't know.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray, 2 ounce can or larger.
    Buy an extra to practice with (not on dogs). :+1:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. Cornered by a German Shepherd as a child and extremely anxious near unleashed strange dogs. When I ask owners to get their dogs away from me, they get extremely indignant. Why???
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I was attacked by a leashed dog and the owner was right there and barely did anything to stop it. I kicked the mess out of it (it was a small poodle) and she got mad at me. Say what? But she made sure to pay attention from there on out when she was out with her dog and I was walking to my door.

I agree with the pepper spray suggestions.
  • gonzanab
    gonzanab Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I definitely sympathize and feel you all. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Dog owners generally don't sympathize. However, when I had my beagle, a dog who would lick someone to death if not careful, I always had him leashed and did not allow him to jump on strangers.

It's a relief to see I'm not the only one who feels anxiety. The two dogs that attacked me aren't around, but pitbulls are big in this area and while owners defend them for being great pets, understandably, more often than not these dogs are one's that require more attention. I see them a lot without leashes and since I've been attacked by two, my opinion is a bit bias.

I'm not targetting them specifically though because I see other breeds loose. The small dogs don't bother me as much, but the big one's definitely.

I've considered purchasing weapons because it seems communicating to dog owners doesn't work well. It's the law here to have your dog leashed in NJ in public places. My dad told me to call the cops when I see it happen because people get fined big time. Do I really want to go to that measure? Not really, but other than bringing weapons and calling the cops I don't see any other way to avoid this anxiety I feel when I approach dogs.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'd say don't escalate it with weapons and pepper spray. You are clearly dealing with people that are not willing to do a reasonable thing to make everyone feel safer. Oh and yeah I've heard the "it's ok my dog wouldn't hurt a fly" speech before - its not the point, the dog should be under the owners control. Frankly your dads right, report them to the cops, its not mean its the right thing to do, then let the cops deal with it. Pretty soon your mouthy dog owners will either move on, or obey the law.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Report them. Think about what could happen if a kid runs by them & they attack. I would also check local laws & see if pepper spray is legal to use in the circumstance, if so, I would take it & use it if necessary.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I feel anxiety just reading this! I am a wimp and changed my walking route because of a golden retriever who charged down the driveway to lick and jump on me. Feel stupid being terrified but can't help it. I'd probably faint if pit bulls came at me.

I am with the people who say call the police. There is probably a dog officer.

I wouldn't carry pepper spray because I would end up spraying myself. So the dog bites me and I am self sprayed! If you can use it safely, it's an option.
  • gonzanab
    gonzanab Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm so thankful that I created this topic because it's helped ease the anxiety and guilt I get for thinking how I do sometimes. I appreciate everyone who replied in this thread. I definitely will use these approaches next time I go on a jog.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I always slow to a walk to pass unfamiliar dogs, especially if I'm approaching from behind. I'm lucky that most dog owners in my area are sensible and considerate, but I did almost give a terrier a bit of a kick once when it tried to bite me and luckily just got my tights. The owner came running up shouting and swearing at me for 'lashing out' at her dog (I hadn't actually connected with it, but would have no qualms doing so to stop it taking a chunk out of my ankle). Her logic was it was my fault because 'she's nervous around female joggers'. If it has an irrational fear of women dressed in gym clothes moving slightly faster than walking pace, keep the yappy little thing on a lead maybe???
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had a rottweiler blow through an invisible fence and chased me up a tree. The owner assured me that it never happened before and that he was a wonderful dog. Low and behold, I was jogging with my infant son when the same dog blew through the same invisible fence again. This time I wasn't nearly as polite, and the owner had the nerve to tell me that I shouldn't walk on "his" street since the dog is obviously so angered by me. Ugh. I'm not sure if there is much you can do. A lot of dog owners think their pooches have the same rights as people, and if you're not a dog lover, it's a battle you are going to lose. I work where there are a lot of pit bulls - many of them former (or current) fighting dogs. I always carry biscuits with me. It has worked so far, but I'm still nervous around them.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I had a friend -who was very fit-and if a dog ran at him he'd chase the dog. Scared most dogs and the owners sure reacted quickly to get their dogs out of his way.

Not sure I'd suggest it-BUT it worked for him.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Call the cops.
    It's not mean. It's the law.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    6 years ago I was bitten by a leashed dog while running and I still have a scar.
    Pepper spay is the way to go.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Report them. People should know their animals well enough to keep them under control. And that even includes the ones that are harmless in nature. The majority of the time it's not the animals that are the problem, it's the owners that are the problem.

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    i have dogs, love dogs and I think it is terrible how many here have been bitten, all thanks to useless dog owners. What is so hard about leashing your dog?? jeez. I would call animal control /police and report them. I don't want the dog put down but I want the owners to have a damn good talking too. My dogs are always leashed unless I take them to an off leash area. I get so mad when other dog owners don't respect leash laws as it ruins it for other dog owners and it simply isn't fair on those who are nervous around dogs.