Gaining weight 700 cal below TDEE

Options
1235»

Replies

• RobPA1
    RobPA1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You should look into insulin resistance and intermittent fasting, Look up both on youtube, I have, and am losing now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    adavis539 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    Pretty sure OP has stomped their foot and run off because we keep telling them what they don't want to hear.
    Actually, no. I weighed myself before bed last night and was too angry at myself to sleep, so I wrote those two posts. Then I woke up and had to work 12 hours straight (with no lunch break, mind you) because one co-worker no-showed and the other started vomiting and ended up going home.

I feel like I owe this thread an apology. I was full of anger when I wrote my posts last night, and now I am full of shame. I see lots of advice, which is exactly what I was asking for. I wanted to thank anybody who took the time to respond for their time.

I should have picked a better time to "come out" with my open diary and bare my self to the internet. Yes, my diary entries in the last few days show increasingly poor food choices. I feel this is a reflection of my depressed self, on the subject of my increasing mass and girth. It's that feedback cycle of eating and depression and more eating....

Weighing every ounce of food that I need seems seriously obsessive-compulsive to me, but what I'm doing obviously isn't working. I will consider a food scale, but I'll definitely feel like a weirdo when I use it. I'm aware I am not a special snowflake.

I'm also sure I can't possibly answer all of the opinions offered. I'm not even really trying to argue here, just vent my frustration. Again, I am sincere in my thanks for everybody who has posted. I'm trying here, just need some help.

Glad you came back!

I find using a digital food scale much faster and accurate than using cups. Plus there are no cups to wash. I first saw a food scale when I was an assistant baker. All the commercial bakers I know prefer them to cups. It's just more accurate, which is important in baking, and weight loss.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't keep my food diary public. I ate a lot of junk yesterday, but I also exercised and had a net of 1400 cals. I don't care what others eat, it's not my business.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Weighing your food may seem weird and obsessive compulsive, but it will teach you portion control and will be very eye opening. Go buy a cheap digital scale from Walmart and try it for a couple of weeks. Trust us on this one.
    No kidding on the bolded text. My husband thinks I am definitely spooky now. I can't tell you how many times, since using the scale, I can reach into a package of shredded cheese and pull out exactly 14 grams. Last night I really freaked him out by pouring out 51g of cereal to a "T" without batting an eye.

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I hear you about the OCD thing. I FINALLY bought food scales (one for work, one for home) because I'm not losing weight. But I thought it was a bit much when I heard about having to weigh food too. I'm hoping that by weighing food I'll get a better knack for eyeballing how much a certain amount really is!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I hear you about the OCD thing. I FINALLY bought food scales (one for work, one for home) because I'm not losing weight. But I thought it was a bit much when I heard about having to weigh food too. I'm hoping that by weighing food I'll get a better knack for eyeballing how much a certain amount really is!

Hate to say, but your eyes lie to your brain. If you just want an approximate size and you're not worried about being off by a bit, have at. There have been so many posts from people saying they can't lose weight and when we say weigh, they say they can eye ball it because they weighed food for years. :disappointed:
    We're unreliable to ourselves! :cry: :lol:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    YMMV, but I thought weighing food was going to feel obsessive and be time-consuming, but it isn't. There are some quick tricks:
    • For peanut butter, purchased salad dressing, etc.: Put the container on the scale, zero it, pour/dip a portion, put the container back on the scale, read the negative number & record that.
    • For things you assemble on a plate/bowl (salad) or in a pot (stew/spaghetti sauce), put the pot on the scale, zero, put in an ingredient, record; zero, put in another ingredient, record; etc.
    • For stuff like bananas, weigh the banana, eat, weigh the peel, do a little arithmetic, record.
    It's quick, easy, accurate. Use it at home, estimate when you go out. Only your family will think you're a weirdo, and most of them think that already.