Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

sprints or steady state cardio

2»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Yea, but not if it takes having that upper body to get there....lol
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    syrupspew wrote: »
    I ask myself do I want a sprinter's body or a marathoner's? They are very different, so train like the one you want.

Might want to take a look at this "The Body Shapes Of The World’s Best Athletes Compared Side By Side" at http://www.boredpanda.com/athlete-body-types-comparison-howard-schatz/.

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I'm new into exercise again, and I'm sticking with pretty steady state as I get used to the motions and my knees and ankles adjust to the work. I do believe that sprints/HIIT is effective and helpful for cardiovascular health.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    If the question is which would I choose if I could only do one, I'd go with steady state.
  • syrupspew
    syrupspew Posts: 20 Member
    I’m a little surprised at all the negative responses. I was basically saying what are your fitness and body goals. I said train like one. I didn’t say all marathoners do is run long distances or sprinters just do short sprints. However, they obviously focus their energy differently.

The fact that people automatically know there is a look to professional athletes kind of proves my point. I did not say anything negative about a marathoner’s body. I didn’t give my opinion on any body type or say one was greater than the other.

Yes, I assumed running. Probably because I notice the difference in body types more. I am actually very impressed with both and have asked myself do I want to focus on distance or speed. But usually my response is a fast-ish 5k because I am not that motivated. ;)

I wouldn’t think because I’ve ridden my bike 100 miles in a day, I should look like a pro. I’m a cyclist that likes to go places by bike. I wouldn’t compare myself or my body to a professional cyclist. I ride my bike for enjoyment which is different from training my body to be a great cyclist. Any physical changes…muscles, tan lines, fat loss, do not matter to me.
  • dylclarke95
    dylclarke95 Posts: 2 Member
    What I've been doing is I'll go on a treadmill for 30 minutes, where the first 28 would be a slow run on no incline (6 mph/12 kph), and then the last 2 would be a moderate sprint (10 mph/20 kph). Steady pace means a constantly elevated heart rate, which is key to cardio. I just throw in the 2 minute sprint to push myself for a bit.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    its more about heart rate then type of cardio if u are aiming for fat loss. my fav is uphill walk at 3.8mph for 45 mins, 8% elevation on treadmill
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    syrupspew wrote: »
    I ask myself do I want a sprinter's body or a marathoner's? They are very different, so train like the one you want.

No

I pointed out that the argument of “400m runners are lean and muscular, therefore you should train like a 400m runner by doing intervals” is utterly silly and flat out wrong. If you’re too lazy to click on the link, here’s the recap

Most 400m training is low intensity work in the first place

The ‘interval’ work that 400m guys do isn’t the kind of interval training being advocated for fat loss in the first place. It’s maximum speed work interspersed with very long rest periods. It’s not short intervals with short rest periods for the most part.

400m sprinters are muscular because of their weight training, genetics and drug use. Not because of their track training.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/sprinters-and-marathoners.html/

• pwillis20
    pwillis20 Posts: 30 Member
    I like switching it up. It keeps me mentally balanced thinking I'm training fast twitch and slow twitch muscles so I don't lose any athleticism or agility. Really IMO it comes down to heart rate and doing whichever you enjoy and feel like doing. Overall, its consistency that leads to results
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Both...
  • applsz76
    applsz76 Posts: 3 Member
    The proven science is that aerobic exercise is optimal for fat loss. So if fat loss is your desired goal, aerobic is the range you want to shoot for. Anaerobic, or HIIT, is great for cardiovascular health. Both create a healthy person over all. If you are looking for short term goals, resort to the one that fits your needs.

HIIT is effective is performed correctly, many people and trainers do not. With improper rest between high intesity intervals, it negatively affects the adrenal cortex. Cortisol will increase as well as other negative health aspects.

Good luck!
  • pfreeme
    pfreeme Posts: 42 Member
    I Mix it up. When I was working less cycled everywhere my BMI was much lower better muscle tone cardivascular health. Now when I get home from work I do I hr treadmill sprinting every 5to10 for a minute and Spinning for 1 hr on my days off, cycling works best for me. I find adding sprints in both keep my body from getting used to a repetition, I have to mix it up.