Does your remaining fat "redistribute" after losing weight, or is that a myth?

Options
13»

Replies

• thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    You don’t actually “lose” fat cells, you “shrink” or “empty out” fat cells because the fat inside is used for energy. Any fat that is used makes the cell shrink but the fat cell is always there waiting to fill up and increase in size if you overeat your calorie input. They don't move but you can add more elsewhere.

That's a depressing thought...those damn fat cells will always be lurking :disappointed:

:'(:'(:'(

Not sure if its true but I was doing a nutritional course that said after about 18mths your body will expel the empty fat cells as it recognises that you dont need them anymore. Up till then it kept them around to save it from having to make new ones when you overeat.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    When you reach a certain age your skin will not shrink back and become smooth and firm as your youth. I have lose over 100 lbs and I am 69 and have loose skin all over. I look really good in clothes so I don't care. The only one that is going to see my loose skin is my doctor and the undertaker. :)

Ditto at ;65. My x husband could see if he wanted, but lo and behold he is not interested so I do not anticipate hearing whatever his reaction would be. Ha!!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I don't know, older gals, I lost 50 pounds around age 60 and had no loose flabby bits at my goal weight. How did you lose it, was it low carb and lots of cardio by any chance? Just very curiose as there seems to be something going on with this perhaps.