Is Sodium Intake More Important than Calories?

Options
Okay so I've been on mfp for months but this is the first time i'm becoming more involved in the community. I have been trying to loose weight for months now and I've been struggling! I have not been able to loose any real weight, and I keep fluctuating give or take a few pounds. So I need some help...

I have done a decent amount of research, and I know that sodium causes water retention. This is something I definitely feel like I have a problem with, I have noticed that I can weigh one week and loose 1 pound..eat "normally" for a week and gain back 3-4 the next weigh in. That's with working out and watching cals to a T.

So, I recently (a few weeks ago) tried watching my sodium, I ate less than 1,000mg a day and I noticed my weight going down even if I had more calories (1,300-1,500 a day). But when I just monitor my calories and not my sodium, staying within 1,200 cals, I will fluctuate a lot. Does this happen to anyone else? Does that mean I should not pay attention to my calorie intake and only my sodium?

I should add, that I know I dont get a lot of potassium in my diet. I dont like bannas (I know...I know.) the only way I can have them is in a smoothie. But I do like other things that are high in potassium like baked potatoes and avocado. I have tired adding those things into my diet while having a higher sodium intake (2,500-3,000) and drinking lots of water. I've also added a potassium supplement. It doesn't seem to help. I still gain weight if my sodium is anywhere close to 2,500mg. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks! Sorry I wrote so much! :(

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Sodium = water retention.

Calorie deficit = weight loss.

less sodium = less water retention.

So, in short... no, it's not MORE important.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    No
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium can certainly make you retain water so you appear to be gaining weight. But it is certainly not more important. Find a happy medium and monitor both.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I woud recommend eating more calories, 1,200 isn't enough for most people. Here is a good calculator, http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.

Also, if you are concerned about water retention, drink more water to flush out the sodium. Unless you have a medical reason to limit sodium, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You don't have to watch your sodium if you drink more water. I used to be a stickler about it and kept it under 500mg a day but now I don't worry. I drink 228 ounces of water a day. and it flushes the sodium out. I still keep it around 2500mg.
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your comments/help. But just one more question for clarification, if it's not more important..then how can I eat more calories then recommended (1,300-1,500)...eat less sodium (under 1,000mg) and loose weight? But if I eat the "correct" amount of calories (1,200) and more sodium (2,500-3,000mg)..I gain? That makes it seem to me that something might be going on that i'm not sure of.. But thanks anyway!
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options

so then, does it matter how much sodium I am taking in? it has no effect on weight loss? meaning, I dont care how much water I'm retaining as long as I'm eating at a calorie deficit. Is this correct.

and yeah my BP is normal
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your comments/help. But just one more question for clarification, if it's not more important..then how can I eat more calories then recommended (1,300-1,500)...eat less sodium (under 1,000mg) and loose weight? But if I eat the "correct" amount of calories (1,200) and more sodium (2,500-3,000mg)..I gain? That makes it seem to me that something might be going on that i'm not sure of.. But thanks anyway!

If you eat more sodium, you're not gaining fat.. your body is retaining water.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^this.

Are you using a food scale and weighing and logging everything? If you are not losing weight over a month of so, it's not the sodium (water weight).
  • Via88
    Options
    @Lochlyn-D: I do drink alot of water, not as much as you said though. I drink about 100 ounces of water a day and that doesn't seem to help if I chart anywhere near 2,500mg of sodium.

@katlifter: Thanks for the link i'm going to check it out! I do drink alot of water and try to have more potassium. I dont have a health concern that I am aware of.

Thanks everyone! :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

If you eat more sodium, you're not gaining fat.. your body is retaining water.

Yep

Also, if you are eating 1,300 - 1,500, then you should be at a deficit, even if above your target, and therefore you will still lose weight.

Plus, water weight also goes down with less sodium.

How long a period are you looking at these fluctuations over?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I think you're being too dependent on what the scale says. The scale can fluctuate too much to be an actual representation of your success...at least over short term. Over long term, yes the scale will track trending and can show losses, but short term, there are just too many factors, such as water weight.

The bottom line is, if you're worried more about a number on the scale and not actual fat loss, then do whatever you think will make that happen. If you want to work on actual fat loss and to be happier with your body and yourself, then calorie deficit for fat loss and exercise (with some heavy lifting) for body composition.
  • Via88
    Options
    @Sarauk2sf: No I dont weight my food or have a food scale. But I do measure the food out sometimes depending on the situation. I do log everything. And I have been trying to loose weight for months now. Starting last year around November. So it's been awhile.

@cmcollins001: The issue is that I feel that the water weight is stopping me from seeing real results. That's why I asked if I should just pay more attention to the sodium and continue everything else (eating well, working out, etc).

Thanks everyone, I will take this into account and see if I can make some progress.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Water retention from sodium is not cumulative. Meaning, if you eat excess sodium for years and years, you aren't going to retain 300 pounds of water. And if you keep eating less and less sodium you aren't going to lose 300 pounds of retained water either, because you aren't retaining that much to lose to begin with. (Plus the goal is to lose fat, anyway.) You will go up or down only by a few pounds and that's it. It's like 'gaining' or 'losing' weight by putting on or taking off clothes.

If you're not losing after months of a calorie deficit then you need to ensure you're actually measuring accurately, and if so then you might want to see a doctor to check for things like thyroid levels.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    @Sarauk2sf: No I dont weight my food or have a food scale. But I do measure the food out sometimes depending on the situation. I do log everything. And I have been trying to loose weight for months now. Starting last year around November. So it's been awhile.
    Bolded the problem.

Logging innaccurately is as helpful as not logging.

If you don't know what's going in, that isn't going to help you out. Weigh it, measure it, log it accurately... or you may as well not be doing it at all.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The issue is that I feel that the water weight is stopping me from seeing real results.

Seeing how?
    What are real results?

What do people see?

You got a scale strapped to your back displaying your last weigh-in that people will "see" - or will they "see" you with less inches?

Like many, you may have to have a mental change here as to what is really important. And no, MFP doesn't help by their only ticker being weight.

Oh, you may log everything, but if it has no basis in truth or reality, who cares, it's invalid data.

I could log my car mileage at every fillup, and enter in what I thought the gallons were, and think I know what the MPG are. But how would I honestly know.

And measuring the food out sometimes isn't weighing. Except for liquids, you notice that every single label is based on weight? Because guess how the calories in fat, protein, and carbs is calculated - by grams, weight.
  • Ellamae22
    Ellamae22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different and reacts to food differently. There is no one rule fits all. I also have the same problem with sodium although I do work out and watch my calories (and still lose weight). I do notice a fluctuation in my weight and my blood pressure when I do not monitor my sodium intake.

So it is quite possible this is your problem as well. Increase your water to flush sodium out and for minorities/African Americans the Mayo Clinic recommends that we lower our sodium intake from the recommended 2600 milligrams to 1500 milligrams.

So eat healthy, workout, and reduce the amount of processed prepackaged foods you are eating. Check out the documentary Hungy for Change inspiration to eat cleaner. I believe it's on Netflix.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different and reacts to food differently. There is no one rule fits all. I also have the same problem with sodium although I do work out and watch my calories (and still lose weight). I do notice a fluctuation in my weight and my blood pressure when I do not monitor my sodium intake.
    So you're suggesting that some people are capable of retaining hundreds of pounds of water because of the amount of sodium they eat? Or are you suggesting that people actually gain fat by eating excess sodium?
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

Without seeing your diary I'm assuming when you are eating lower sodium you are more than likely eating more fruit, veg and not eating processed foods. A more natural diet of 1500 calories is better then 1200 empty calories. Calories are important, but so are the fat content, carbs and protein. You need to watch those as well.

I don't doubt you saw a larger loss on lower sodium, but it's not because of the amount of the sodium, but rather you made healthier choices.