Sugar cravings after trying to quite refined sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I buy chocolate and mini fudge bars called 'Well Naturally' - http://www.wellnaturally.com.au. I keep a few of the mini fudge bars in my desk at work for when the afternoon low crashes in....
    My evening treat is two pieces of the dark chocolate mint crisp. Bliss <3
    These bars use stevia as a sweetener and to me it tastes like the real deal.
    Don't deprive yourself of a treat otherwise it can end in a binge - I know from past experience!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hausisse1 wrote: »
    I'm kicking myself, I feel stupid. I should have gone for the crackers and hummus first. I lost fove pounds in one week, of course I was going to crave sugar. Ugh. I'm so scared of being anorexic again.

Clearly the bigger risk to your health is slipping back into anorexia. Would suggest stop randomly eliminating foods based on very poor science or current fashions.

If the sugar warning on here causes you stress suggest you remove it from your diary - replace it with fibre perhaps or just track the three macros.

When I eliminate any food I enjoy I get cravings for it - it's an emotional response not a physical response.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm kicking myself, I feel stupid. I should have gone for the crackers and hummus first. I lost fove pounds in one week, of course I was going to crave sugar. Ugh. I'm so scared of being anorexic again.

Clearly the bigger risk to your health is slipping back into anorexia. Would suggest stop randomly eliminating foods based on very poor science or current fashions.

If the sugar warning on here causes you stress suggest you remove it from your diary - replace it with fibre perhaps or just track the three macros.

When I eliminate any food I enjoy I get cravings for it - it's an emotional response not a physical response.

This. Seems like eliminating certain foods because you're convinced they're somehow 'bad' is probably feeding into your history with EDs. Sugar isn't bad. No foods are bad. You have to get past the point where you're labeling foods/cutting them out because of the labels you're attaching to them. Do you receive counseling for your ED issues? If so, I'd talk to them about this and have them help you navigate through it.
  • BornToSing1954
    BornToSing1954 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It took some doing for me to wrap my brain around eating more fat , but I've been thoroughly investigating the science relating to the High-Fat/Low-Carb "rage", for lack of a better term, such as Paleo and Adkins promote. Even though I am vegan (allergic to animal products), it is working to reduce the carbohydrate cravings which had me enslaved until now. I'm not kidding. I loved noodles and crackers, and don't even mention cookies, etc--but since April 4th, I've begun adding a tablespoon of coconut oil to my morning brew, and 1/4 cup of nuts or seeds to my breakfast bowl of fruit, and as many olives as I want and/or avocado to my lunch salad, along with some vegan protein, and my usual dinner fare (what everyone else is having minus the meat). The changes are not as extreme as I'd worried they'd be, and so far, I've lost 4 pounds--that's in two weeks--which is a good rate of steady loss. I'm not in a hurry, and just glad to be heading in the right direction for a change! :) I suggest you try adding healthy fats to your usual meals and see if that helps with your sugar cravings. Also, since eating this way, I no longer need to snack between meals! Now that's a real switch for this "grazer", to be able to go four to five hours without eating SOMETHING in between! :) Good luck to you!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

This. Seems like eliminating certain foods because you're convinced they're somehow 'bad' is probably feeding into your history with EDs. Sugar isn't bad. No foods are bad. You have to get past the point where you're labeling foods/cutting them out because of the labels you're attaching to them. Do you receive counseling for your ED issues? If so, I'd talk to them about this and have them help you navigate through it.

All of this. OP labeling foods as good/bad is a slippery slope for those with ED issues, as is trying to restrict too stringently. There is nothing wrong with added sugars absent of any medical condition to reduce them. You can eat them in moderation as part of your overall healthy diet.

I second the recommendation to check in with your ED therapist if you are concerned about backsliding.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You may want to get the book, Trim Healthy Mama. I know different people who love this approach and it has helped them with binge eating, sugar cravings, etc. I don't do it but I do incooperate many of their ideas as far as making high fat, low carb desserts for a treat. Using coconut or almond flour instead of white flour and using swerve sweetner instead of sugar. The desserts are very satisfying and do not cause me to crave more sugar compared to if I were to eat a slice of full sugared pie or a donut :blush:
    Of course there will be more calories but you're not needing to lose weight anyway so this can be your treat. As you said though, maybe you had not been eating enough carbs and that could be the reason you had those cravings. Saying a prayer for you right now that you will have victory over anorexia and that God will heal you from this for good. We can do all things with his help. I wouldn't be where I am today without him. God bless you.
  • NatiaGonitellie
    NatiaGonitellie Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Terrible sugarholic here.

It took me a month just to cut sugar out of my coffee. I am currently working on removing refined sugar from my diet entirely. For me this process is ongoing, I'm on my third month of reducing my refined sugar intake.
    I know from experience that if I quit cold turkey, I will have terrible migraines and just end up binge eating an entire bag of candy due to the overwhelming cravings.
    This method of slowly weening myself off has been working so far.
    During a sugar craving day, I will allow myself a piece of sugar free candy and one extra serving of fruit.
    Good thing about the sugar free candy, if you binge eat that stuff you know you will be visiting the porcelain throne, so you tend to avoid over indulging.

My ultimate goal is working my way to a healthy diet less carbohydrate higher fiber and protein.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Step 1: forget what you have read in blogs and realize that refined sugar is not bad.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Terrible sugarholic here.

It took me a month just to cut sugar out of my coffee. I am currently working on removing refined sugar from my diet entirely. For me this process is ongoing, I'm on my third month of reducing my refined sugar intake.
    I know from experience that if I quit cold turkey, I will have terrible migraines and just end up binge eating an entire bag of candy due to the overwhelming cravings.
    This method of slowly weening myself off has been working so far.
    During a sugar craving day, I will allow myself a piece of sugar free candy and one extra serving of fruit.
    Good thing about the sugar free candy, if you binge eat that stuff you know you will be visiting the porcelain throne, so you tend to avoid over indulging.

My ultimate goal is working my way to a healthy diet less carbohydrate higher fiber and protein.

Do you also have a history with EDs, like the OP does? It's dangerous for people to be giving her advice on how to cut things out of her diet when she's admitted that she has a history of anorexia/eating disorders. She needs to seek professional help on how to deal with her unhealthy mindset towards food.