Apple Watch says I burned XXX calories MFP says XXX

Options
2»

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I dont have an apple watch but I was wondering one is showing you net calories and one is gross.

What I mean here is you mentioned you got 600 calories from a 40 min jog. That 600 might include your BMR calories (the amount of calories you would have burnt sitting on the couch for 40 mins). MFP has already taken into account those calories so its adjustment will only be the extra calories burnt by jogging.

@thunder1982

The Apple watch reports both 'active' calories (the extra you burned not sitting in front of the computer) and 'total' calories.

Honestly, I don't think MFP does that. When I compare the calories that MFP would give me for a half hour run, its typically what my watch reports as 'total', which would be incorrect. I think the watch is more accurate.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    I don't actually understand what's happening when you say the MFP gives you x calories for x steps - are you adding them manually?

No, if you look under your exercise calendar, there is an entry for ios adjust. This is using your steps from your phone/watch.

If you turn on an exercise mode in your watch, is this reflecting exactly the activite calories into your MFP app? I think at least a few months ago, MFP was just importing the steps, not calories.

>>>I just looked at some recent entries though and can see that it imported my workout calories from the watch, so I think this has been fixed.