Do you need a multivitamin?

Options
dbkyser
dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
I am curious if your eating healthy if you actually should take a multivitamin or not.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you are eating healthy, of course not.
    Often during a low-calorie diet, a person simply cannot consume the needed nutrition in full.
    A 4 cent multivitamin would be cheap insurance.
    A woman considering to get pregnant may want to take one that contains folic acid.
    And a woman has osteoporosis may take a multi with calcium and vitamin D.
    And yes, there are some reports that say they cause cancer. But note that these are individual supplements like E, selenium, vitamin A, etc.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    "Need?" Probably not - but you can still get vitamin deficiencies eating "healthy."

As such, a daily multi most likely won't hurt - just in case your diet is lacking in a particular nutrient(s).
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    There is a site called cron-o-meter that I use from time to time.
    This lets me know if I'm meeting the minimum RDA for my nutrients.
    I still use MFP b/c of it's extensive database and ease of use.
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    In general I would say no, unless your doctor recommends it. My blood work showed that I was vitamin D deficient, so my doc recommended a supplement and told me the specific type and dosage to get. I don't think a multivitamin benefits the average person getting good nutrition.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Probably not. In fact most of what are in the cheap ones are easy enough to get from a handful of vegetables. But I just ordered a 2 month supply of one for $20 or so and will see how it goes. I figure it's cheap insurance
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    In most cases, if one is eating a balanced and varied diet with plenty of vegetables, I would say no. However, some nutrients (most notably vitamin D) are hard to get enough of from food alone.
  • Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Why would you not? Just extra everything haha.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's necessary, but I can almost guarantee that few people get all of the recommended nutrients every day, no matter how excellent their diet. Some nutrients are just very difficult to get through food alone.